Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Diorama - Dungeon Environment

Replies

• wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This looks fantastic! I love the idea of doing a stylized diorama! Your hand painted textures seem really good so far!
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    This is so amazingly inspirational you have no idea how excited I am to see something like this. I've been itching to do a small hand-painted (with normals derived from Zbrush sculpts) diorama type of environment piece for long time. Your use of color here and awesome painting skills really gets me goin'.

I really dig your textures so far, but the floor texture kinda stands out to me. I think it's the really saturated blue tiles and to a lesser degree the red tiles. They seem a bit more muted in the concept and come off as a bit much in the texture. Maybe a tad too much color variation/saturation?

I'll be watching this thread for sure and I can't wait to see this progress. Thanks for sharing!
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will you try to make it more modular? I mean will you use one column for whole scene or model all the columns each different?
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi !

Sorry long time since my last message... But there's some WIP ! :)

The modeling is almost completed, I still have to make the details (spiderwebs, ivy, mushrooms, ...) and the back of the dungeon (a quick "roof", or something like that :))

ulrick_diorama_dungeon_wip_10.jpg

I did all the UV sheets and started the texturing:

ulrick_diorama_dungeon_wip_11.jpg

And the answers:

@sybrix: When I'll finish the whole texturing and lighting, I will retake some texture, color balance, details and so on. I always proceed like that, just like finalizing an image in photoshop with some post process and tweaking on the full image. ;)

@seir: Many of the assts are created being modular IF i would make a game (you can assemble column in different ways, all floors and walls textures are tileable, rocks can be split in 2 sides to snap them on walls, ...), but in a so tiny piece of environment, I prefer create different assets for each levels :)

Thanks all of you for your comments and feedbacks !
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and i'm around 10K triangles for the whole Diorama... I know it's a bit much for a cartoon environment, but well... There are 3 levels, at 360° with cliffs and rocks :P

I still can gain some backfaces and optimisations, but with the fine details (see my last message), I should stay around 10K :)
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great for me. I'm crossing my fingers and looking for more updates. I know it's a WIP and you might have a plan to fix stuff I'll mention here:
    9xX6V.jpg
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet concept, loving your work. Colour me subscribed
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @seir: hehe was actually talking about the borders and transition with someone. And yes, it is planned :)
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    beautiful work! congrats on making it through to the @polycount twitter feed!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, loving the progress, can't wait to see it with lighting :)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    So so much love for this!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I'll just throw my appreciation on the pile here.

Fan-bloody-tastic work!
    I can't wait to see the final result.

Are you planning on sculpting in Mudbox as well as texturing @Ulrick?
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking sweet, subd!
  • - Livewire -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone ! I'm not dead, promise... :)

I'm working on another piece of art, a next-gen one this time, that I'll post on Polycount soon, so it tooks time to finish this Diorama, and I wanted to add some things like pieces of tower, so it looks like more "complete".

This is the WIP, in Unity :)

ulrick_diorama_dungeon_wip_13.jpg

And a closer look on the vitral

ulrick_diorama_dungeon_wip_12.jpg

It's the Hero Quest characters :D I really wanted to make a tribute cause it inspired me so much to do this work :)

For those who don't know (and that's a shame !):
    heroquest.jpg

Thanks for all your comments :)

As seir did, critics and advices are welcome :)
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heroe quest was AMAZING, barbarian ftw...

awesome work, sub'd, keep going with this!!!!
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work, fantastic concept work and great texturing skills.

If I was in your shoes at this point it is definitely worth finishing it in the method you have started, but as a test to myself (if I wasnt burnt out with the project at this stage) I would look at sculpting the entire scene, (bare in mind this is no relation to your modelling or texture skills) but I think youll find it could be a faster workflow, especially with the cavity and ao from the hi-polys.

I love it so far the fantastic concept, and awesome box art on that game.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    looking at it now an idea came to me... imagine the diorama rotating slowly, and some sort of battle between 3-4 characters, that loops, for example a guy falling to the bottom level, climbing up fighting again, and some other things happening simultaneously... that should keep the audience captivated lol
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Prtofdacrowd: It could be a very good work indeed, I agree all the assets would have a bigger "coherence" but I really wanted to make "real game assets" for this diorama. The Next One maybe :D

@Aga22: :D Funny that you said that: The first idea with my lead animator colleague was to do EXACTLY what u're saying: a little loop scene with 2 or 3 characters. But well, It would take me time to make them and him to animate them :) Maybe later !

For the Slow Rotation... Wait for the Unity version, it is already rotating, with different camera, user-controlled rotation, music... :) I'll show this up a bit later, when the 3D will be done !

So, little WIP on the Low Level Rocks:

ulrick_diorama_dungeon_wip_14.jpg

And I realize I never showed u the final concept, my bad:

ulrick_diorama_dungeon_wip_15.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Man I just love the concept! On the model, my crit would be your texturing looks somewhat dull in colors as it is now but I guess it'll come together when you set up the lights.
    I really like the vibrancy in your concept so I hope that'll translate to the finished product.
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Man I absolutely love this so far, great job! It's a really good idea too. For texturing, you said you use PS and Mudbox. Do you mean you made a high poly for the cracks etc, or for the seam painting? I haven't used a 3d package for seams before!
  • LOad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOad polycounter lvl 11
    fantastic work man!, this one will go directly in my "inspiration" folder!!!
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @circle of friends: I said that but finally I tried, learned and LOVE 3D Coat :) I just have a really good feeling with this soft, for painting.

So all the "architectural" or simple assets and textures are directly made with Photoshop, and all assets wich require seems, or have more organic shapes (Rocks, etc.) are painted in 3D Coat.

And No, I didn't bake any occlusion or cavity from High Poly Meshes. I Didn't sculpt anything for this job, except quick Voxel shapes (just to make a Retopo + UV) for the rocks.

@AimBiZ: Yes that's the plan ! What I'll try: Dark ambient light, with saturate (but dark) colors on the textures. And use MANY Low Lights, ambient light, direct ou spots lights, and so on to "reveal" the vibrant colors where I want. (Most of them will be bake, so the only cost will be the baking time :P )
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I hadn't checked this in awhile, but just saw the HeroQuest stuff and lost it. Awesome work man :)
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminded me of how much fun I had with Hero Quest :) Went to check out getting a copy again and they are like 300$ now... Awesome work btw inspiring for sure.
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RMeeks: I found a nearly "new-one" 2 weeks ago, complete, nothing broke or missing for... 60€ (~ 70$) :D Lucky Day
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    very yummy~ can't wait to see it lit and rebaked rar
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    really diggin the style :)
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    noice,
    love the concept, and looking at those rocks the 3d is going to look amazing too!
    btw, the style of those rocks remind me of Dishonored,
    I see you live in France and are looking for work so if you're done with this project you should defenetly apply at Arkane Studios! ;)

btw, if you would want to try out normal maps on this i bet nDo2 can give you some pretty good ones generated from that diffuse,
    no need for high poly or sculpting
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those colors man!, I cant wait to see the high polys
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi All !

A big step this time: It's almost done, just some things to polish, add some ivy, floating bricks, correct some color balance...

But there is the lighting in Unity and, bonus, the Unity Web Version :)

The Concept VS the 3D:

ulrick_3D_diorama_heroquest_01.jpgulrick_3D_diorama_heroquest_02.jpg

Some close up:

ulrick_3D_diorama_heroquest_03.jpg
    ulrick_3D_diorama_heroquest_04.jpg
    ulrick_3D_diorama_heroquest_05.jpg

Some diffuse texture samples:

ulrick_3D_diorama_heroquest_06.jpg

And the Unity Version: RIGHT HERE! :)

Thanx all for the comments !
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet Jesus being able to rotate around it in browser is good.

This looks beautiful so far!
    The only things I'd suggest at the moment is making the water in the dungeon a bit more reflective (perhaps with some specular highlights?) and having some sort of highlight on the steps too.
    At the moment, they don't 'pop' as much as in your concept and don't carry over well enough in still images.
  • eastblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. The transition and color scheme are amazing.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, "being able to rotate around it in browser" would be awesome!
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Coming along very nicely!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Yes! I thought that you said you were done a few weeks ago, I'm very happy you went this far with it. GREAT execution.
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ozzy310 polycounter lvl 8
  • Jackson31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackson31 polygon
    I love this! Amazing!
  • Philistyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Philistyne polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing work, well done! I spotted a small spelling error on your website. In the instructions you've put "Zoom Seewer"
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Great work - turned out very well. !
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't think the castle top |-|_|-|_|-| shape is working, I like the semi-circle of the concept better.
  • Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum polycounter lvl 6
    It is just ... wonderful !!!

Good job ! I love it !
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    The webplayer is totally badass! love it:poly136:
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    Really hot and really nice use of color. It's remind me the beggining of Trine 2 :)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    turned out really nice. love the presentation :D
  • Intervain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    wow love this so much! dreamy!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't think the castle top |-|_|-|_|-| shape is working, I like the semi-circle of the concept better.

Yeah I had the same feeling. The crenelations at the top aren't really needed, the concept feels more... er... betterer. Not sure why, might be that the rounded top feels like a more suitable cap to the big airy throne room. The side of the stone stairs leading up to the throne room look a little bland but both those things are small niggles, the piece is a really sweet little scene. Great textures, lovely touch with the particle effects. Fantastic piece and great presentation!

*edit*

looking at it some more I think the crenelations stand out because they are very square when everything else is rounded; the base, walls, details etc.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @ urgaffel You are spot on with the assessment. Most of the design is smooth and rounded, in particularly the top too, the ceiling and the windows are all arced. And in general nothing is really straight and rigid, for the most part everything is slightly askew. The top is not interesting, breaks the curved rounded shapes, and breaks the composition for me. It's the first thing people see when they look at an image (people start looking at images from the top left) and it doesn't draw your eye into the rest of the piece. Also I wish the windows had more emissive or self illumination, like the concept. The windows blend with the rocks a bit too much. Also I'd like a bit more glow on the top chandelier candles.

Also the circle chain for the chandelier in the concept is a lot more interesting, the circles are nice and work well with the design of the piece. The generic oval shaped ones in the final piece are just that, generic and boring.
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    So awesome, your textures look great.

I can kind of see where folks are coming from as far as preferring the rounded top, but the square crenelations don't ruin it for me. I do think the top level seems more 'open' in the concept which looks nice.

Stop me if this is crazy talk but I'd love to see what would happen if you FFD'd the whole thing and distorted the model so it matched the forced perspective in the concept.

Great work!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thing that I really like in the concept is that the walls in the throne room are slightly bulging outwards, like a tiny bit of fish eye was applied. Maybe try doing the same to the mesh, might look cool (or it might look horrible... :s ) A wider FOV might help pushing it a little bit more over the top too, match the concept closer...