Old (#1)
10/10
Goin' with the British Safari Hunter, Sniper. I'm worried about available texture space for the shoulders and bracers since I'm not just mirroring each piece.

10/11
Just finished the block out for all my armor pieces. Almost all the the pieces are sitting either right at the LoD1 limit or just a little bit above it. So far so good. I'm planning on rigging these pieces up tomorrow and putting them in game just to see how they look and feel.

10/14
I'm still doing tweaking on the textures and specularity but I wanted to get this posted.

Moving onto the back piece soon.

10/16
The cape isn't gonna break any new ground. Its simple and I think it plays well the the other pieces I have designed. It does feel a little fancier if anything.

10/17
One thing I've been trying to keep in mind while designing my pieces is how well it will play with other items not from my set. For instance, how bad will the shoulder pad from my set clip with the default cape? I'm trying to keep those design ideas in the back of my head when creating these items.

10/23
Shoulders almost done....Still working on a little dirt detail.

10/28
Finishing up Arms.

Last edited by Robbiek1000; 10-28-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Offline , spline, 153 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007,  

Old (#2)
Concept update.

Old (#3)
I like it, especially the sniping monocle
Offline , vertex, 34 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012,  

Old (#4)
Thanks man! There just ain't enough Sniper love on the Dota 2 Store. He's the hero I used when I first started playing years ago when it was still just a WarCraft 3 mod.

Last edited by Robbiek1000; 10-10-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old (#5)
I think the idea will work if you make it look more primitive. The medals and hat look so modern that they don't match the fantasy/medieval feel of the DOTA universe. That could be fixed with some texture work, like adding patches and seams and obvious sewing patterns. Maybe make the medals look like they were hammered out by hand instead of machine pressed.
Minecraft meets Zelda meets Fable: Check the Kickstarter for our sandbox-RPG 'TUG'
Offline , spline, 214 Posts, Join Date Feb 2008, Location Dallas, Tx  

Old (#6)
thanks Rik!

Yeah, I'm not the best concept artist. This was just quick way to get my ideas down and show everyone. Once I get into modeling and sculpting I'll be getting into that type of detail much more.

Still thinking about what to do for the rifle. Also, I'm not sure what to do with his "dead eye'. I guess Valve Dota 2 team didn't intend for his eyes to be uncovered? I actually kinda like it?

Old (#7)
Just finished the block out for all my armor pieces. Almost all the the pieces are sitting either right at the LoD1 limit or just a little bit above it. So far so good. I'm planning on rigging these pieces up tomorrow and putting them in game just to see how they look and feel.

Last edited by Robbiek1000; 10-24-2012 at 01:10 PM..

Old (#8)
i'm not sure about the dota universe, but medieval times they had plenty capable blacksmiths that could and did make plenty fancy ornate medals and badges, also stitching, all medieval clothing was not burlap sacks with huge stitches,

i'm not saying nice metalwork for this character is appropriate cause i dont know him or the dota world, but some people get the idea that medieval folk were cavemen
"to tell you the truth other places were way harsher and ones of maximum rudeness."
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,643 Posts, Join Date Jun 2005,  

Old (#9)
Sure it may be "medieval" but Dota is fantasy and whimsy over anything else.

Old (#10)
I'm still doing tweaking on the textures and specularity but I wanted to get this posted.

Moving onto the back piece soon.

Old (#11)
Wow! Great job so far dude!
Offline , vertex, 29 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#12)
thanks, I'm still not in love with the red piece on the hat. I think its to overly detailed. Although I do like it a lot more when its actually moving in game and interacting with the lighting.

Old (#13)
Should have the cape done tonight. I'll have pictures soon.

Old (#14)
Umm... Wooden rifle? o.o
Offline , vertex, 39 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011,  

Old (#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirogatsu View Post
Umm... Wooden rifle? o.o
LOL I didn't even think about that
Offline , spline, 170 Posts, Join Date Oct 2011, Location LA, CA  

Old (#16)
Lol, I play Dota 2 quite a bit and i never really noticed it was wood until I started working on this set. I'll be making a new rifle to go along with this set....haven't done any concept for it yet though.

Old (#17)
This looks pretty sweet. Big Sniper fan.
Have you scrapped the medals idea? I think the shoulder pads you did looked good. The medals kinda go against his lore of being cast out by his tribe as soon as he makes the shot of prophecy. The medals wouldn't have been awarded by his tribe, he must have received them from somewhere else? Like a hunting contest?

Gauntlets look good, I like the knife. Perhaps make the bullets look more like rifle / less like shotgun ammo?
Offline , null, 3 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#18)
Isn't there a Mythbusters episode where they showed that a wooden cannon is possible? Possible, not sensible, but then again, Sniper is a ..."unique" character
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,558 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location Germany  

Old (#19)
Yeah all i have done is the head piece so far. Just doin' it one at a time.

As for the lore I thought about it. The metals are still gonna happen. The reason for the metals in the first place was because of the lore actually. "...until he has fulfilled the remainder of the prophecy by attaining legendary stature on a field of battle." Metals for a job will done in battle? Perhaps trophies? I wanted to somehow visually represent that he is accomplished on the battlefield in an interesting way.

Old (#20)
Does anyone know how to get/import actual animations from the characters? I'm having a hell of a time getting my cape skinned correctly, and my current work flow of making changes then uploading the files within Dota 2 is a huge time suck.

Last edited by Robbiek1000; 10-16-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old (#21)
DealWithIt.gif

Seriously though, for Maya I've found that to be the best way (as if there was much of an alternative) because I've also been unable to get animations in.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,558 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location Germany  

Old (#22)
Well, i guess its a good thing I decided to do the cape relatively early. Its a simple cape but is using quite a few bones.

Old (#23)
Yeah, it could be better :S I pent a whole sunday a couple of weeks ago just painting one item because it kept clipping in-game but looked fine it maya...

How are you previewing multiple items at the same time btw, or are you just comping them together later?

Old (#24)
Ive just been previewing them one at a time in game. haven't tried messing with putting multiples in game, yet.

Old (#25)
Got the cape working pretty damn good. Took awhile getting it rigged proper without any test animations to help me out. But I've got a pretty good testing pipeline going on now for viewing stuff in the Dota 2 editor.

The cape isn't gonna break any new ground. Its simple and I think it plays well the the other pieces I have designed. It does feel a little fancier if anything.