Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dand3d Portfolio

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dand3d polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone,
I put together a blog a while a few months ago to replace my website, and I never threw it up here to get critiques and feedback. I guess it just slipped my mind.

http://dand3d.blogspot.com/

So please if you can critique the lay out, the format, color, artwork. Anything that can and will make my site/art work better would be much appreciated.
I asked some of the people I worked with and I got their feed back now I'd like to get some greentooth feedback!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Good name haha ;)

New site looks good. Layout/visuals look good, I'd probably darken the background just a bit more so theres more contrast with the content, and you could put a faint image background in the header/title section.

You've worked on some awesome titles! and this is what the viewer should see first.
    Make your 'professional 3d art work' page your homepage.

Just my opinions, hope it helps!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Good thing I read danpaz3d's post, because otherwise I would have missed your 'professional work' section. HELLLLLLL YES that should be the opening page. People may not care enough to look at more than a couple images on your site, so those first couple images need to be the best images you have. Right now, that's your professional work (and the first model from your personal work).

As for your personal work, you have a pretty steep curve in quality. Your most recent model looks really good. 3 models down, and it's a noticeable drop in quality. Only thing I can say is, try to pump out some stuff to better reflect where you are currently. It looks (from your professional work section) like you have a good bit of sculpting experience. I suggest you dedicate an hour or so every day to making something in zbrush. Even if you never take it to a finished state, it's an easy and quick way of making something that looks good and reflects one of your best talents.
  • dand3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the responses! I'll try to figure out how to move the professional work to the main page and the personal work to the second tab.

Also I never though about darkening the background of the images, I though it was causing to much of a contrast and would be hurtful to the viewer's eyes. Well your suggestion makes more sense.

I do sculpt almost everyday, but most of the time it is not worth of showing even on our speed modeling thread. But once I get something good enough to replace that last image the rogue in my personal page then I'll get it off of my site.
    Because people don't remember you for your best image but your worst.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, great stuff! The one thing that popped out at me was the "Fat Monster" looked a lot like "Venus of Willendorf". willendorfa.jpg
    If that was your inspiration, good job! I picked it out right away. Your other characters are very interesting as well. I like your professional work, but I see most of your imagination shine in the personal work. The professional just seems somewhat uninspired. Either way, you dun good.
  • dand3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl, Yep you called it, that is where I pulled my inspiration for the fat monster!

But yes the professional feel a bit uninspired mostly because they were run of the mil npc model heads for resistance on the vita.
    Anyways Thanks!
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    Great work, some very impressive titles under your belt.

I would try to make some more personal works that show what you have learned from your professional while adding a bit more personality than you can get away with doing npcs