Amazing animations. Good job
  • HairyHatMan
  • HairyHatMan
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Hi all,

I have been trying to submit an item in the workshop for the past few days now but have not been very successful.

My LODs and textures are all within budgets.
    The files compile successfully.
    The item displays correctly on the character.

After naming the item, attaching the thumbnail and description and clicking submit I get directed to an in game browser with the following error message

Sorry! An error was encountered while processing your request:
    That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author.

Has anyone else been having this issue with the workshop lately?

Cheers
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Massbot wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been trying to submit an item in the workshop for the past few days now but have not been very successful.

My LODs and textures are all within budgets.
    The files compile successfully.
    The item displays correctly on the character.

After naming the item, attaching the thumbnail and description and clicking submit I get directed to an in game browser with the following error message

Sorry! An error was encountered while processing your request:
    That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author.

Has anyone else been having this issue with the workshop lately?

Cheers

Have you tried giving it a different file name when uploading to the workshop? Maybe someone else has an item with the same name and has the visibility set to private. Either way the in-game workshop seems to be suffering some odd issues lately.

@Tvidotto - Too damn good, great death animation!
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,

I am a current student who has been using maya on and off for 2 years or so, and I wanted to practice my workflow with the dota II workshop. I have no clue on how to bake maps or anything yet, and am still trying to figure out how to create those mask1/mask2 files.

Anyway, if you guys could please critique this weapon I made for bounty hunter, I would really appreciate the enlightenment. (I am also new to proper presentation/rendering.) The only things that are on this model are a normal map and a diffuse map made with crazybump. Thanks in advance everyone, I really want to improve.

2hwi41s.jpg

2jcewkz.jpg

rku2ae.jpg
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply Mark.

I have tried submitting the item with different names, but still no luck :(

I presume its just an issue with the workshop, however I can't be sure as this is the first item I've tried submitting.
    I have been trying to upload the item since Wednesday, and have seen other items show up in the workshop since then.

After submitting an item roughly how long does it take to show up in the workshop?
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Massbot wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Mark.

I have tried submitting the item with different names, but still no luck :(

I presume its just an issue with the workshop, however I can't be sure as this is the first item I've tried submitting.
    I have been trying to upload the item since Wednesday, and have seen other items show up in the workshop since then.

After submitting an item roughly how long does it take to show up in the workshop?

It should be instant.

I'd say it's just the workshop having issues. If you notice on the previous page I can't even get mine to edit an item without crashing DOTA :poly142:
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Classic. Thanks for your help dude :)

I'll put it to bed for now then and limit myself to one submission attempt a day.
    I see that error message in my dreams...
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    you are welcome

thanks man! she likes cat? that is my kid Pandora
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tvidotto/sets/72157623347834578/

really thanks!

ok, its past 6am and i need to wake up in a few hours but i needed to finish it =]

im reeealy tired, hope you guys like it
    hz5Rg.jpg
    jda5Q.jpg
    DPMNM.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94732903

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8qN4Ffm1WY&hd=1

nice work Tvidotto :thumbup:
  • [Deleted User]
    Really some amazing work in here! I've been lurking for a while and collaborated before on an item and here's another one - I'd love if you can check it out and give us some insightful feedback!
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    I have a question: When uploading a texture, do you guys resize before uploading or let the compiler auto-resize them? Because the resolution is getting pretty bad whem compiling with original resolution :(
    Edit: fixed!

Finished the Ogre Magi's Ember Scepter:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94964177&searchtext=
    QPK75.jpg
    8PqIl.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz wrote: »
    I have a question: When uploading a texture, do you guys resize before uploading or let the compiler auto-resize them? Because the resolution is getting pretty bad whem compiling with original resolution :(
    Edit: fixed!

Looks great! and if you don't mind my asking what was the solution to your resolution problem?
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lennyagony: It wasn't really a issue. I realized the texture was really crap after compiling inside the game, then I checked the video configurations. For some reason everything was on the lowest setting. Just put everything on the highest settings and you'll see a drastically improvement on the texture.
    Just for comparison:

25t0k.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i could fucking kiss you OniLolz, made a huge difference in quality. Having a bit of a laugh that i simply just didn't check the in game video settings aahhh lol time for some updates.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Me too actually... I thought I had my textures set to High but it was my only setting that wasn't maxed... I thought this whole time that the Demon Claive looked like shit, but it's actually beautiful on High rather than Med. :)
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... weird workshop bug found and squashed. Apparently, though this has never happened before, there must be some kind of old(new) workshop layout sitting unused within the .vpk files. This has never been a problem for me in the past, or anyone else it seems, but somehow it manifested itself and overwrote my interface. A completely clean install (along with deleting all my unpacked files) did the trick.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    @OniLolz looks amazing ) thumbs up
    @Tvidotto cool )) and animation looks great as always )
    76Ldj.png
    Although druid was old , he decided to get a cool haircut :D
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!
    @Lennyagony/@Frump: Glad it helped!

Please don't kill me, but I have a serious noob question: I don't know how to test the items in game.
    I know how to upload and view before submitting but I'd like to test them in game (to see particles, animations, etc). Can anyone help me?
  • PatrickL
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of making some items, but when I open up the crystal maiden file in Maya (2011 and 13) I cant seem to load textures to her. It says // Error: cgfxShader : "crystal_maiden" unable to load effect. I've tried unlocking attributes and stuff but I can't get it to work. Any ideas? thanks
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto

Buying the standard one won't be enough , got to find someone to trade for the chest version. love it :D
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ionic wrote: »
    Can you say where that script locate?
    Edit: i think i found it, i add hero what i need for test, but when i press import i get eror, "polycount for this item =0"

Check the npc_hero.txt and put in the right polybudget and texturelimitations from the dota2 technical requirements.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, are anyone else having problems with the ingame itemtest? Dota2 crashes when i try to compile now. Weird havent had any problems at all before.
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Check the npc_hero.txt and put in the right polybudget and texturelimitations from the dota2 technical requirements.
    Ty for replay man!
    Btw, are anyone else having problems with the ingame itemtest? Dota2 crashes when i try to compile now. Weird havent had any problems at all before.
    Ingame itemtest work fine for me.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ionic wrote: »
    Ty for replay man!

Ingame itemtest work fine for me.

No problems! I guess it's a reinstall for me then : /
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    deolol wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of making some items, but when I open up the crystal maiden file in Maya (2011 and 13) I cant seem to load textures to her. It says // Error: cgfxShader : "crystal_maiden" unable to load effect. I've tried unlocking attributes and stuff but I can't get it to work. Any ideas? thanks

to work on maya you need one of the plugins from valve, i use the ones that comes in the source film maker but they are hard to setup (and you will be able to see just the difuse texture)

my suggestion is to decompile a texture from game using the studio compiler and aply to your model

Mark.N wrote: »
    @Tvidotto - Too damn good, great death animation!
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    Amazing animations. Good job
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    nice work Tvidotto :thumbup:

thanks guys, i really appreciate! =]

OniLolz wrote: »
    @Lennyagony: It wasn't really a issue. I realized the texture was really crap after compiling inside the game, then I checked the video configurations. For some reason everything was on the lowest setting. Just put everything on the highest settings and you'll see a drastically improvement on the texture.

are you using self illumination on this model? the ball on the mouth could have some to increase the appeal =]
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problems! I guess it's a reinstall for me then : /

I'd say stick to the SDK if you're going to be working with unsupported heroes and then using the 'Misc' option to submit.

Looks like we both ran into trouble after modifying our itemtest client.
  • HairyHatMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

I realised why I was getting the error message when uploading my item...

Basically I don't have an invite to the beta and was just using spectator mode.
    I've uploaded it now on a different account that has access to the whole beta.
    I'm sure someone has already mentioned that here but I missed it :S.

Anyway here is a rough thumbnail of my item. Will take better ones later.
    Just a one off helmet to fit the default Skeleton King outfit.

thumbnail1zn.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95266705&searchtext=
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i was talking to a friend that loves anti-mage and he was complaining about the lack of items to it
    so i was drawing a little and got to something inspired on the dota 1 battle fury, and i tested a purple version too

what you guys think?
    dz8Lt.jpg
    hiSUF.jpg

thanks in advance
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i was talking to a friend that loves anti-mage and he was complaining about the lack of items to it
    so i was drawing a little and got to something inspired on the dota 1 battle fury, and i tested a purple version too

what you guys think?
    dz8Lt.jpg
    hiSUF.jpg

thanks in advance

I think that your design is far too similar to the default weapon and, at a glance, could present identification issues (Not that it matters too much since items don't have effects or stats). It needs something to distinguish itself from the default blade, perhaps some runes along the flat portion, maybe make the blade a single piece rather than two, or maybe use a different material entirely (such as "energy blades" or some crazy shit like that).

Maybe if you took the battle fury axe and essentially broke off the bladed portions and applied some grips to the area where the axe's shaft connects to the blade the design could work.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am a current student who has been using maya on and off for 2 years or so, and I wanted to practice my workflow with the dota II workshop. I have no clue on how to bake maps or anything yet, and am still trying to figure out how to create those mask1/mask2 files.

Anyway, if you guys could please critique this weapon I made for bounty hunter, I would really appreciate the enlightenment. (I am also new to proper presentation/rendering.) The only things that are on this model are a normal map and a diffuse map made with crazybump. Thanks in advance everyone, I really want to improve.

2hwi41s.jpg

2jcewkz.jpg

rku2ae.jpg

Nobody has any feedback they could give me? Sorry I am new here and I do not mean to spam.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Nobody has any feedback they could give me? Sorry I am new here and I do not mean to spam.

no problem man, sorry for not helping before

first of all, your pictures are too dark, is a little hard to see your model, are you using maya? if yes send a picture of the viewport with a material 100% self iluminated

about your model, it appears that need more details, i can say where is the blade because i know this tipo of knife, but i cant see a sharp side. get some reference of other models ingame, that will help

you should make a model that have an appealing and creative sillhoutte, something that get the attention, like the dragon axe from axe
    Dota2_AxeDragon01.jpg

i hope that could help =]
  • itsmadman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys have a serious issue with an Ursa helmet model been looking for help for a while now it would be much appreciated. My model will not bind correctly to the character. I made sure i bind it to the correct joints and tried different ones. My model is a lil different from Ursa original helm, but does even match any thing with the model
    7975212136_e5327eb334_z.jpg

PLEASE HELP :(
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itsmadman wrote: »
    guys have a serious issue with an Ursa helmet model been looking for help for a while now it would be much appreciated. My model will not bind correctly to the character. I made sure i bind it to the correct joints and tried different ones. My model is a lil different from Ursa original helm, but does even match any thing with the model

PLEASE HELP :(

did you check if you freeze the transformations?

are you using maya? i got a problem once that i resolved using the hipergraph hierarchy

selected my bone, pressed f and cleaned all the bind poses and skin clusters, then reskinned

what was happening was in the modeviewer my bone was turning 180 degrees in one axys and moving a little in the x, that was caused by previous skinning that the freeze transformations and delete history wasnt able to clear
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have had a pretty busy few weeks but managed to bang these out over an extended weekend,

Tidehunter with a Cannon

tidehunter_cannon_weapon02.jpg

and a winch...

tidehunter_winch_offhand02.jpg

i have some time on my hands now so hopefully more to come :)
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! I love that cannon, was wondering when someone was going to give him one :D

The reinstall worked for me, but i have some issues with the skinbind which i think Tvidottos tips will solve.

Working on this for Pugna and this one has a particle system connected to it, which looks pretty good if i may say so. I'll upload a videocapture later.

kMjgX.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! I just saw that Doom Bringer and Necrolyte has been added to http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements?l=english
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! I just saw that Doom Bringer and Necrolyte has been added to http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements?l=english

Yay, Dooooom =)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    i have had a pretty busy few weeks but managed to bang these out over an extended weekend,

Tidehunter with a Cannon

and a winch...

i have some time on my hands now so hopefully more to come :)

Hey man, something might be wrong with your workshop item visibility settings.

I can view them from the direct links but I can't find them anywhere when I try to browse on the workshop. I notice your Axe set has few votes on it too, which could be because of that. For some reason your items don't seem to be showing publicly. You should let these things be seen by everyone, it will increase the visibility to the Valve folks who look through the workshop.

You have some really great items too, don't hide them!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Frump,

Im not to sure whats going on with the visibility, i checked all the settings i could find and it looks like they are public as best i can tell. Im wondering if its a workshop issue(?) as its been several hours now and no new items have been added since i added my few.

Planning some updates to the axe set as well with hopes of getting a few more views, need to add new shots with the correct video settings!

Anyway cheers for the heads up and feedback mate, much appreciated.

@Paskie thanks, and looking forward to seeing your particles in action!
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! I love that cannon, was wondering when someone was going to give him one :D

The reinstall worked for me, but i have some issues with the skinbind which i think Tvidottos tips will solve.

Working on this for Pugna and this one has a particle system connected to it, which looks pretty good if i may say so. I'll upload a videocapture later.

kMjgX.jpg

Did you find a way to test particles in-game or have you been viewing them separately or combined in hammer?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lennyagonny - commented on the workshop and thumbed up =]

@frump - i think strange too, lanny´s axe set is too good for the number of views

---
    guys, im trowing some random ideas but im not happy with them.. im using a modified version of my last courier just as a base

the idea was an armored wolf-like creature
    YrcPw.jpg

i think i will trash this idea..
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    do you guys make models for fun here? or do you actually sell them to valve?
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lennyagonny - commented on the workshop and thumbed up =]

@frump - i think strange too, lanny´s axe set is too good for the number of views

---
    guys, im trowing some random ideas but im not happy with them.. im using a modified version of my last courier just as a base

the idea was an armored wolf-like creature
    YrcPw.jpg

i think i will trash this idea..
    trash it, we have too many animals in dota 2 , try something different. like a an alien or some thing different. Your work is amazing btw.

comic_alien.png[IMG][/img]santa-claus.png[IMG][/img]
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need help Guys. i can model really good , but cant texture well enough . can some one suggest tutorials (free):P Pls reply

you can see my work, i feel the texture are really bad but the models i like it
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052507578/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no problem man, sorry for not helping before

first of all, your pictures are too dark, is a little hard to see your model, are you using maya? if yes send a picture of the viewport with a material 100% self iluminated

about your model, it appears that need more details, i can say where is the blade because i know this tipo of knife, but i cant see a sharp side. get some reference of other models ingame, that will help

you should make a model that have an appealing and creative sillhoutte, something that get the attention, like the dragon axe from axe
    Dota2_AxeDragon01.jpg

i hope that could help =]

Thanks for the response! I am still very new to texturing in general. I will try to work on it more. Do you know where I can find a tutorial on how to paint the mask1/mask2 files?
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started messing around with some concepts for a set of bracers for Nevermore. I find he could be a rather difficult hero to design for, due to his limited color palette and the fact that he's covered in spikey bits and awkward angles...should be fun! I've always kind of thought of him as some sort of dark djinn who's off collecting souls for some evil master...thus, the bindings.

fncND.jpg

@Josh/Rayfire - There's a book called Vertex 1 located here and along with my suggestions for reccommended reading here should help you both out quite a bit. Also, don't be afraid to use our on-site wiki; it's packed full of useful articles and archived posts.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    remade something simple
    NvV88.jpg