Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polyviewer, a model viewer for android

Replies

• dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    awesome work keggles! I has iphonez can't use androids.
  • kwshipman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman polycounter lvl 9
    HTC One X (att version) will load the model, but it is black and only get 1-2 fps. Gonna watch this thread as this would be a killer app to have. Let me know if i can give you any info that will help.
  • tobehfaic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tobehfaic polycounter lvl 12
    Works fine on my HTC One S now, reads files fine. Only snag is the low fps (being addressed) and the black silouhette. I've tried previewing textures individually by deselecting etc but no joy.

h4IL6.png

Progress though, looking forward to advancements :)
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Tried out Beta 7 today. Still crashes on my Gingerbread HTC Desire S.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Beta 8 Release

Nothing new in this release. This is more a removal of any loops and conditional statements within the shader structure to test as I cannot test myself. I honestly do not expect this to work, but I'm at a loss as to what might be causing such performance issues
  • kwshipman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman polycounter lvl 9
    that actually works on my HTC One X. All three models open and render correctly at 60fps.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I'm picking up a new android device in a couple of days. This one: http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc6370014prd&deviceSKUId=63700579&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_phones

Anyway, will try this out soon! Awesome work dude!
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crashes when loading the model on the LG Optimus running Gingerbread.

"The application Polyviewer (process com.funsedresistance.polyviewer) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
  • tobehfaic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Works like a dream. 50-60fps on my One S. Model's load perfectly, even tried my own for gits and shiggles.

p1acD.png

Will continue to stress test but can't find any faults, except when I export .obj's no matter what origin or rotation I put on the model in Max, it always loads the same orientation in the viewer and makes for difficult previewing.

e: and also noticed the cull/distance plane (look at the magazine in the background) catching the model, related to above? It's scaled to the same size as the existing .objs

Also are you planning on making the camera fov changeable? Would be much easier to show a model without it being skewed.

Kudos thus far though :)
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Great to hear it's performing better for some folks. I'm working on getting some preset lighting and camera positions setup still since I've been distracted the last few days. Hoping to get a release out tonight or tomorrow with presets and 3 light support again with a couple changes so it hopefully still works on a wide array of phones.

tobehfaic - Yea, camera fov can be changed, just haven't gotten around to it. Culling is currently set to 1 for the near clipping plane and 1000 for the far clipping plane.

timspanjer - Hrm, not sure what the issue could be. I'll have to look into it further.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Getting force closes when trying to open a model with Motorola Defy on Cyanogen 7.1 :(

Also, I wonder if there would be a way to open a model from dropbox/other cloud services with this app?
  • tobehfaic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »
    Great to hear it's performing better for some folks. I'm working on getting some preset lighting and camera positions setup still since I've been distracted the last few days. Hoping to get a release out tonight or tomorrow with presets and 3 light support again with a couple changes so it hopefully still works on a wide array of phones.

tobehfaic - Yea, camera fov can be changed, just haven't gotten around to it. Culling is currently set to 1 for the near clipping plane and 1000 for the far clipping plane.

Commendable effort sir. Got it running on a Sony S1 Tablet. The practicality of this is pretty high, great little app for going to interviews with for design/graphics jobs or if already in the industry, to brainstorm and such on the fly.
    JostVice wrote: »
    Also, I wonder if there would be a way to open a model from dropbox/other cloud services with this app?

As far as I know that would be directory dependant, though if dropbox has a universal install folder etc then it might not be such an issue to include, else I'd just say grab a file exploring app for your device and just use dropbox then copypasta the models into the folder.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Worked like a charm, nice!
    Interface feels a little clunky, would be cool to cycle through models a bit easier for presentation purposes if you're showing a few, i guess load times might be an issue there though. possible to cache next and previous?

Also, just to be nit picky, which tangent basis does it use? :P

Good job so far!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    JostVice wrote: »
    Getting force closes when trying to open a model with Motorola Defy on Cyanogen 7.1 :(

dropbox and other cloud drive support is planned to be added. I've noticed there's been a few people having issues with cyanogen mod based phones. I need to look into that as well.
    tobehfaic wrote:
    Commendable effort sir. Got it running on a Sony S1 Tablet. The practicality of this is pretty high, great little app for going to interviews with for design/graphics jobs or if already in the industry, to brainstorm and such on the fly.

Thanks, the entire intent was for artists to use for interviews and other gatherings where they may want to show off their work.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timspanjer wrote: »
    Crashes when loading the model on the LG Optimus running Gingerbread.

"The application Polyviewer (process com.funsedresistance.polyviewer) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

This is the exact same error I get when i click the Model button. The settings and help menus both work though. Also, I tried out beta 8 and it still crashes.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Fingus - It's weird that it's crashing there. Does a dialog to select a model come up at all? or just press the button and the app crashes? The code as it stands should handle any error in the code when hitting the model button.

Electro - First time loading a model is a bit slow since it's parsing an obj file. There's code that created a serialized version of the model class containing all the information which is stored as a pvb file in the models folder. After the first load there should be a noticeable increase in load times. I can't say I'm really using a tangent basis currently. I've admittedly used a bit of a hack that generates the tangent and binormal values within the vertex shader. It's far from ideal and I plan on replacing it with some calculations upon creating the model the first time. As for the interface, that's temporary and there is going to be a gallery mode.

I'm currently working on a new release. Most likely tomorrow at some point. I'm going to be going back to the 3 light setup with some tweaks that hopefully keep the performance levels for those that were having issues. Camera and light presets are working in their basic forms and I just need to add some proper presets to make things worth while. I've also thrown in a FOV option setting now for those that desire changing it.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, I never get the model dialogue up. It crashes as soon as I click the model button in the main menu. I have tried uninstalling and clearing the data but it still happens. Is there something I can do to help? Like, does android have the ability to write some sort of crash report or system profile I can send you?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Beta 9 Release

Updates:
    • new interface layout with a side menu (click upper left icon)
    • gallery mode preview (going to be a paid version feature eventually)
    • default camera x and y rotation values in the options
    • default light preset in the options as well as the menu
    • drop down list for the view model panel for selecting other models
    • Force screen to stay on option
    • Field of View control (default is 90)
    • 3 Light setup again (should hopefully still work fine, just removed a control statement some gpu's don't like)
    • Probably some other tweaks I'm forgetting
    If all goes mostly well with this release I will be cleaning things up and preparing for a marketplace release. Still gotta add cloud drive support and some light and camera presets. My current thinking for the free and paid versions are as follows:
    • Free
      • Multiple Meshes
      • 3 Lights
      • Diffuse, Specular and Normal maps
      • Ad on main page only
      • Live wallpaper
    • Paid
      • All free version stuff
      • Emissive and Environment mapping
      • Live wallpaper with additional options
      • Gallery Mode
      • No ads
      • Cloud drive support
      • Save camera and light presets
    Thoughts and feedback? I'm currently thinking asking around $2 for the paid version and free for recently unemployed polycounters. The live wallpaper I am probably going to release a version that is just that for free sans the paid features.

Fingus wrote: »
    Nope, I never get the model dialogue up. It crashes as soon as I click the model button in the main menu. I have tried uninstalling and clearing the data but it still happens. Is there something I can do to help? Like, does android have the ability to write some sort of crash report or system profile I can send you?

You could grab an app like CatLog that'll let you view the LogCat (android's logging system). That would be of some help to let me know what exception is thrown as right now it should be handling any crashes with regards to the view model button.

Edit: new main page view with the side menu shown

1XiDX.png
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still crashing for me. :/
    I'll look into the CatLog app, but it will have to be later as I have to head out now.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Still crashing for me. :/
    I'll look into the CatLog app, but it will have to be later as I have to head out now.

I figured that's what would still be happening :/

Also, an additional screenshot showing the new drop down list for model selection

JkO2j.png
  • Mohamed Rotab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mohamed Rotab polycounter lvl 11
    Hey ... Nice tool indeed ... Working very well on Samsung Captivate , Android 2.3.4 .

Tried the multi Obj and it's working great but I am having some issues :

1- Live Wallpaper mode crashes
    2- Checking Emessive Cause the model to turn black except for the glowing areas .

Great Tool really ... Sent you PM please check your inbox .
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Mohammed: got your pm, just been distracted by coding and forgot about it. my apologies.

As for the live wallpaper mode, I've hopefully fixed that crash as it no longer crashes when being applied for the first time on my phone. For the emissive bug, that's an odd one. I only get that if alpha blending is disabled and enabling alpha blending is hard coded to on within the app.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps the emissive bug is because there are no lights in the scene?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    yea, if it's just turning the model black and not the entire screen (which was what I was thinking). Though the lights should never be touched or affected at all by the emissive texture setup. What was the texture setup like? ie were diffuse/normal/spec enabled at all or was it just fullbright and emissive? which sounds more like what it'd be
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right Keg, this is what CatLog spat out. There's some other junk in there like the power saver turning on at the end, and i think some lines in the beginning were there before . launched PolyViewer. But I'm sure you can make sense of it.

beginning of /dev/log/system
    beginning of /dev/log/main
    07-02 19:58:13.920 E/GetJar SDK(17698): REQUEST TIMING: 337939 [TO: https://user20120430.getjar.com:8443/user/devices/000203eb00000000000d4558/apps/report_usage?version=20120401&override.response.details=ALL]
    07-02 19:58:53.466 E/JavaBinder(1369): !!! FAILED BINDER TRANSACTION !!!
    07-02 20:15:17.870 E/mode10 (1584): Scene container cannot bind null scene
    07-02 20:44:42.750 E/mode10 (1584): Scene container cannot bind null scene
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): java.lang.NullPointerException: println needs a message
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at android.util.Log.println_native(Native Method)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at android.util.Log.d(Log.java:137)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at com.fusedresistance.polyviewer.PolyviewerActivity.onClick(PolyviewerActivity.java:192)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:2533)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:9320)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:587)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:150)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4385)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:507)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:849)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:607)
    07-02 20:45:17.234 E/AndroidRuntime(18266): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
    07-02 20:45:37.664 E/Powersaver(1369): Send ConnectivityManager.ACTION_BACKGROUND_DATA_SETTING_CHANGED
    07-02 20:45:37.814 E/Powersaver(1369): not connect
    07-02 20:45:37.814 E/Powersaver(1369): error at bluetoothAdapter.disableFromPowerSaver().
    07-02 20:45:39.646 E/InputDispatcher(1369): channel '4056db10 com.android.vending/com.android.vending.AssetBrowserActivity (server)' ~ Consumer closed input channel or an error occurred. events=0x8
    07-02 20:45:39.646 E/InputDispatcher(1369): channel '4056db10 com.android.vending/com.android.vending.AssetBrowserActivity (server)' ~ Channel is unrecoverably broken and will be disposed!
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    This makes me want a smartphone/android really really bad.
    Keg you're doing an awesome job with this, I'll try and have my roommate grab this on his phone and test some stuff out.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    apparently this doesn't work with android version 2.2.1 cause theses a fusedresistance error that pops up when trying to open the obj's.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Beta Version 10 release

Updates:
    • Live wallpaper bug fixed?
    • Tweaked the camera zoom to try and keep everything within view (needs work still)
    • Added a delete cached models within the options
    Before running this version either go into and delete any and all pvb files in any folder or call the delete cached models from within the options otherwise there will be a crash when loading as I have adjusted the cached model details slightly

Fingus, the error there is a null string error within the catch method to try and deal with an error. That being said I've attempted to solve that to prevent a serious app crash at least. I highly doubt the issue has been resolved for you and others though.

Jermaineb, It should work with 2.2 as I have set up the app to compile with version 2.2 as the bare minimum supported. There might be a couple issues lingering about though. Hard to test unfortunately when my phone came with 2.3 initially and I'm now on 4.0.3
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there anything I can do to help fix that issue?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Fingus, at the moment I'm not too sure. I'm just fixing up a couple things I missed within the last update and I'm going to focus on this issue you and a couple other folks are having. So I will probably end up pm'ing you and giving you a dropbox link to test with just the apk to test if that works for you.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Beta Version 11

Nothing really new. fixed a couple bugs I had missed. Deleting pvb files should now delete all files this time around. Camera presets are within the options page now and Camera & Light presets are in the menu as well when viewing a model. Just basic single light setups at the moment. I'm not concerned with multiple light setups just yet as crashes are a higher priority at the second.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well now it has stopped crashing when I click View Model, it just does nothing. But it does get the same old crash when I try to open the Gallery.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Well now it has stopped crashing when I click View Model, it just does nothing. But it does get the same old crash when I try to open the Gallery.

Anything in the logcat?
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a verbose logcat recording, not sure if this tells you too much?

http://pastebin.com/mZVZbUUA
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Fingus, greatly appreciated. I'll get looking through that today and hopefully figure out the issue and resolve this issue once and for all
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Beta release 12

Not much changed, more a bug fix I noticed. The perspective matrix function provided by google is only support by 4.0 or newer so I replaced the method with my own. Also tweaked the file retrieval setup.

fingus - I've tried doing what I can to fix the crash, I am hoping the latest tweak helps things, otherwise I am at a bit of a loss.

jermaineb - your crashing problem should be resolved now as I suspect it was the perspective matrix creation call causing the crash.

Also of note, in a previous post I mentioned that the app searched mnt/sdcard/data/polyviewer and mnt/sdcard/external_sd/polyviewer. The app also searches for mnt/sdcard/polyviewer and has for a little bit now. That'll teach me to code tired and late at night.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it no longer crashes, yay! :D
    Although I'm now getting a "printIn needs a message" popup. What is the cause of that?

edit: Suspected it might be because it can't find the polyviewer directory so I copied the directory to mnt/sdcard/data/polyviewer in addition to the mnt/sdcard/polyviewer that I had used earlier. That didn't fix it sadly.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Well it no longer crashes, yay! :D
    Although I'm now getting a "printIn needs a message" popup. What is the cause of that?

edit: Suspected it might be because it can't find the polyviewer directory so I copied the directory to mnt/sdcard/data/polyviewer in addition to the mnt/sdcard/polyviewer that I had used earlier. That didn't fix it sadly.

Dammit, that println needs a message popup looks like it means that there's an exception thrown in the method to parse the folders and that catch method has thrown another exception due to a null string value which cannot be passed along to android logcat setup :|

Fingus, I'm working on a quick tweak or two and I'll pm you a dropbox link. I have absolutely no clue why the fuck the code is crashing and it's starting to right piss me off.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured out some stuff with keg.

Finally got the models up and running!

Be sure to triangulate your mesh on export out of Max.

Screenshot_2012-07-30-17-14-37.png
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, been awhile since my last post here. Got frustrated trying to deal with loading issues some folks were having so I took a small break. I am hoping that is resolved now, but somehow doubt it.

This here is Release Candidate 1 (REMOVED)

Changes include:
    • Added support for relative indices in obj files (fixes the issue skanker was having)
    • Database for the polyviewer folders (looks for /mnt/sdcard/polyviewer and also does a recurssive search through all the subdirectories looking for the polyviewer folder name in lowercase)
    • Wireframe mode changed to allow it to be enabled with textures
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not surprisingly this doesn't work for me. At least there's no crashes or error messages, but when i click View Model nothing happens.
  • Khiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not surprisingly this doesn't work for me. At least there's no crashes or error messages, but when i click View Model nothing happens.

Same as me. Earlier version works fine (don´t remember uf version 10 or 11). Never been able to load my models but examples worked perfect. But in RC only work the options, nothing more.

Sony Xperia S
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Fingus, sorry to hear that. I appreciate all the help you've given in trying to solve these loading issues.

Unfortunately I'm about ready to give up release what's currently here on the marketplace and never touch this project again.

I am sick and tired of trying to debug code remotely by sending a slightly modified version to test 1 little thing and having to wait for a response back. Highly inefficient and honestly no way to develop or debug code.

Essentially I've lost any and all motivation to continue working on this. I'm not going to bother with a free/paid version anymore and I'll look into putting a free version on the marketplace.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8

Essentially I've lost any and all motivation to continue working on this. I'm not going to bother with a free/paid version anymore and I'll look into putting a free version on the marketplace.

Thats a shame too, since it is such good idea and the other alternatives out there are not nearly as good. I understand though, its a niche, a small group of artist that would use something like this. Its a good app and project, Im not sure where all the problems are coming from but if you do decide to continue it, I'm sure it will get used by more artist owning actual android based tablets.
  • jestersheepy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jestersheepy polycounter lvl 8

Nooooooooooo!
    Was really looking forward to this and I could have imagined it spreading like wildfire in the industry... You can just imagine showing it in an interview and the interviewers going "oooo what app is that?"

Or even still uni students showing lectures progress on their work without having to setup a workstation.

Or down the pub when you meet a like minded person and want to discuss models.

Or simply to carry around with you a really important mesh you are working on (I.e sitting on the train and studying the optimisation trade offs for a pillar that could be duplicated 100 times).

Tis a shame and I know I am not in your shoes, so don't know the scale of hassle you have to go through to get this done, in which I am sorry for this rant, but it did look reaaaaal nice! :)
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Well, honestly it works for the majority of people out there so the intent was to make a version available, the thought of long term support isn't appealing right now. I have a free version and such setup and ready to go sans a couple tweaks so I may just go the free and paid version setup still.

Polyviewer Release Candidate 2 (REMOVED)

Changes:
    • Live wallpaper will copy the model and textures over into internal storage (part of trying to get the wallpaper to work upon rebooting, not 100% but loading an app and closing it will refresh the wallpaper and display the scene)
    • Added mnt/sdcard/polyviewer and mnt/sdcard/data/polyviewer as default folders to search (hopefully useful for fingus and others with issues)
    • FOV bug with the wallpaper fixed?
  • GILBoY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GILBoY polycounter lvl 6
    this aplications is awesome why dont you start a project on Kickstarter?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    So, time for a new post.

Gotten around to getting things ready for release. Polyviewer is now on the android marketplace.

There are two flavors for you to choose from a free limited version sufficient for most uses and a pro version available for $4.99 CDN/USD (m,ight say 5 still, should update before long)

The limited version includes:
    - Diffuse, Specular, Normal maps
    - Live wallpaper
    - 1 light source
    - max of 5 scenes (3 seperate meshes per scene can currently be displayed)
    - light/camera presets
    - ad on the main launch page only

The pro version includes the following extras:
    - Emissive texture
    - Gallery mode
    - up to 3 light sources
    - Save light/camera presets
    - unlimited number of scenes and models
    - no ads

Links:
    Polyviewer (Free)
    Polyviewer Pro (Paid)
    Website
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Keg, how does the store determine if its incompatible with my phone? Got a Nexus S. Awesome stuff btw.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Keg, how does the store determine if its incompatible with my phone? Got a Nexus S. Awesome stuff btw.

Currently it limits based on version. probably gotta fix it to include jellybean support. Basically any phone with android 2.2 or newer should be able to run this. I say should cause if you look through this thread there's been a few issues :|