Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Environment

R00
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
R00 polycounter lvl 12
Hey all,

I'm now about to start a new environment and wanted to see what you all think about the piece I had in mind.

so here is the concept piece:

image_1328986614-1.jpg

by ARTYOM VLASKIN

Where I'm currently at:

Capture-44.jpg

Any crit or comments would be great :)

Replies

• spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice piece you've chosen here. My only thought is, the fence on the concept to me seems like he cut it out to showcase whats behind it, rather than it actually being a broken fence. I could be wrong. Either way, break that sucker down if you want!
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    Nice pick im getting ready myself to get into some CE3 really exciting!

@Spahr i think your right about the break way from the fence. it should continue to be whole.

excited to see the progress as you go. keep it up!
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    @Spahr thanks for pointing that out mate, didn't notice till you mentioned it, lol.

@Frozan you'll have to link me your thread when you start :)
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    ok so I'm happy with my current blockout. Now onto the modelling :)

Capture1-12.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Clean blockout, looks off a good start.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good, now give it some love.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happened to the fence on the left? Is it going to be closed up?
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Small Update, as I only just got back from being away.

Lighting is a bit of a pain as I can't get the sun to cast that type of day without the shadows being too long, so any recommendations would be great :)

Capture-31.jpg

I need to change the water too. (just playing around with the colors right now)
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey all, sorry for the slow updates. I'll be working on this a bit more now.

Been sculpting the wood fences. Trying to find a balance between stylized and real textures.

Capture-34.jpg
    any crit or comments would be great :)
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Here is the marmoset render. 160 Tris using 1024 maps (this will be a modular asset).

Fence-1.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    That is some really nice wood texturing! However it looks a little too saturated in the scene. Also I think you need to add more detail to your texture to ground it more in the scene. I am thinking towards the bottom just darken up the wood and add some subtle grunge!

I look forward to more!
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Dan! I think it may be down to the lighting which is posing a slight problem right now. As for the grunge that's a good suggestion, but I'm going to play around with some decals too. :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    You could add some more geometry chaos to the fence because at the moment it does feel like a cardboard film set, every edge being straight lines, etc.

In the concept it appears a bit bent.

And yeah unless the wood has been varnished with a very saturated polish, I doubt it would be that saturated. Unless you go for the same colour palette as the concept.
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Yum-yum sweet fence :) Agree with previous crits, at least add more color variation.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fence looks great, but i agree some more variation, add some twisting/warping to give it a more realistic feel
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. I hope this small update ticks some boxes with the fence. I've created another two models to break up the modularity in the scene. I'm going to using Dirt Decals later.

Fences.jpg

Tri Count from left to right : 272 Tri's , 266 Tris , 216 Tris :)

In game shot:

Capture-36.jpg
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    I think that is much better. But in the game it still looks too reddish. The saturation on the construction-shot was more plausible.
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    rambooze wrote: »
    I think that is much better. But in the game it still looks too reddish. The saturation on the construction-shot was more plausible.

I think it's due to the TOD it looks like that.

TOD comes last in my book when creating an environment in CryEngine : )
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    The execution of the wood and bake etc... is great. Would have being more practical to have made the texture tillable for LOD's but that doesn't matter so much with personal work. The biggest issue I can see is that you seem to be following the scaling of the concept very accurately. But if you look at the proportions they are a little out of shape. If your aiming for a cartoonish look its fine, but if your aiming for something more realistic those planks of wood are going to start looking mighty funny when the rest of the scene starts coming in. You clearly have the technical ability but would be cautious with a fundamental mistake to scaling if its not what your aiming for.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    ^ agreed the sizes of the planks wouldn't vary that much for realism.
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Cheers guys for the feedback the lighting is killing me a bit but it's just a place holder for now and hopefully the post effects will cure some of the colour issues I'm having on my materials.

Ichll3D/dudealan2001 - I really wish I had done a tileable texture now (hindsight hey) for those reasons listed. I'm not sure how the scene will pan out but i'm trying to find that bridge between cartoon and a real look ( probably leaning more towards the cartoon side).

As for the scale i'm trying to be fairly accurate as everything seems to be fitting into place so far but I will take liberties in areas that don't look right. :)
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An average step in a case of stairs is... Around 18cm.. I think. Then the average size of a garage entrance is... May be 4meters. Decked car parks are typically 3.6meters. All this adds up to your planks being around 1feet wide and probably 4-6 inches thick... Thats like a uber stack of 2 by 4's :P
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Wow that's pretty technical :poly124: . Just did a quick measure up post 13 (W) 13 (D) 188(H) which is about right if i remember correctly. and the planks are about 25 (W) 3 (D) 190-180 (H). Planks are a bit wide I agree but it seems to look right in the editor. (I assume CryEngine works in Metric btw).

Capture-38.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I see, I think the main thing that throws it off is the gate entrace, I assumed it was a gate for vehicles but it only seemed to be around 2.5 meters tall. Another reference point is the parking slots which seem unnaturally small in comparison to the door next to them, again these are all just points of reference that I would imagine to be standard sizes but in the concept seem to conflict.

The concept was done is a stylized way so its obviously not going to conform to those standards, but when you mentioned you was aiming for more realism then it brought up red flags.

It sounds like I'm being super picky, but just wanted to reiterate the importance of referencing sizes that the mind understands and what we perceive to be proportionally correct when not done in a stylized way. Its the same difficulty character artists have when trying to make a face look real. I think you would be incredible surprised at how standardized our world is from an architectural point of view.

Its very difficult to perceive now, but I'm very curious how this scene will look in the end if you remained accurate to the concept while producing it in a realistic manner.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punchface polycounter lvl 6
    This scale issue can be worked out. Don't change the size, alignment or shape of anything. The concept is perfect how it is.

Here's what you can do....

Add tricycles and children's peddle-powered plastic automobiles to the parking spaces. Stylize them so that they look dirty and worn out like the rest of the scene.

pf
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punchface polycounter lvl 6
    ...a less kookie or off-the-wall suggestion would be to add a heavy bike rack and then undeniable evidence of bicycles and motorcycles for those parking spaces.

In both of my suggestions, the idea is that we assume that the parking spaces are for cars which makes them way too small because we can see windows and doors and stuff and get a good feel for how big a person is and we use that size estimate to inform our obvious belief that the parking spaces are too small...

The obvious solution is to change the size of the parking spaces and adjust the layout to make the new bigger spaces fit but it doesn't have to be that way because, we also have the option to add something to the level that changes are base/initial assumption about the parking spaces and their use which would make their size relative to the rest of the scene look natural and correct.
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey all!

Small update. Started texturing the Gate (hard surface stuff is my biggest weakness) so any crit would be much appreciated. :)

gate.jpg

Also if anyone could shed some light on why it is soo bloody hard to match my materials from Marmoset toolbag to the CryEngine that would be great. For some reason my model look completely different.
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    looks good. One thing that stands out to me though is that the corrugated parts are really rusted compared to the frame. The whole thing would be rusted at least a little. Right now the corrugate bit looks much older that the frame.
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks mate, I'll fix that in a bit, just trying to figure out why my model isn't look at all like the render than in the engine right now :(
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Small update on the metal gate

Rusted_Door_zpsd1b65526.jpg
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better wear distribution, looks good. Can you show the maps ?

Are you going for a more stylized look?
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    I really want to push the stylized look but finding it hard to achieve at the moment.

here are the flats (still very wip).

Rusted_Door_zps772937ab.jpg
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey all,

I've recently started an internship so this will be a very progressive project. Went back and did some more grey boxing. Next post should have a more detailed pass ;)

Capture-44.jpg
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    spent a few hours on some speed models to flesh out the level some more. The "terrain" floor is just a placeholder as the original was burning my eyes :)

Capture-44.jpg