Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Violator Clown - Character WIP

Early stages still, just roughing out the anatomy and getting a feel for the face.

clown_01.jpg

Replies

• DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting. How exactly does this guy "violate"?
  • JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha that face is great! Pedo clown
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh he violates every which way...

Probably should place a link for those who don't know the character - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violator_%28comics%29

Some more progress from today:

clown_02.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    NICE I feel like Ive seen a couple people try and do this guy and they dont quite hit the mark. This one is looking like its shaping up! Hes been rendered so may different ways, never did like the cone head variant. I like the style your shooting for now, but maybe his head is a tad pointy?

Also- does it mean I`m officially getting old that people dont know about the violator? Noooooooo!!
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    looking great! love the proportions. no crits from me
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.
    Hah, Konstruct that's exactly what I was thinking - I thought everybody knew the Violator.

So I did a detail pass and roughed in the hair and some of the other jacket pieces. I 'unpointified' the head a little, but now that I look at the last screen shots it really doesn't seem like it. I'll take another look at it when I get back into mudbox.

clown_03.jpg
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting close now. Changed up the pointy head more. Thinking about starting in on the lowpoly but I'm still open to crits or changes on the sculpt.

clown_04.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    That's funny, I never noticied that he had only 4 fingers in the comic book. I checked in the movie, he got 5 ^^.

737400-clown_super.jpg

spawn-leguizamo_l.jpeg

I suggest to make more "realistic" shoes, here we don't really know what it is.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    This is coming along really well. I immediately recognized him from the first WIP shot. I think you can cram in a lot more detail into this sculpt. I agree with getting more realistic shoes, maybe define the forearms a bit more? It'd be cool to see his fingernails a lot more busted up a bit more like he'd been gnawing on em. I'd love to see some grease stains on his shirt and pants once you get the the texturing phase.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Love the sculpt so far, the skin and cloth looks so natural ^_^ Agreed with darbeenbo's critiques about more realistic shoes, gnawed fingernails, etc. - that extra detail would be awesome :D
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it looks like he's only wearing socks right now.

How about clown shoes?

27097.jpg
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great! I always loved that character and it's in my list of comic book characters to model evntually.

I would make his hair a bit wilder and it's actually a great candidate for FiberMesh. Consider having the final posed piece with his mouth open as the teeth are a signature feature of the Violator, even in clown form. LOTS of them, very small, huge almost dislocated jaw.

Can't wait to see where it goes!
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everybody. I went back and broke up his fingernails more, added some more detail into his forearms, sculpted up some teeth for him, and a bit of minor detailing in other places.

With his hair I'm currently planning on doing a bunch of alpha planes and using what I have from the sculpt as the solid core - definitely want to make the hair bigger and scraggly, plus add those few stray bits coming up from his forehead. I also agree about adding a lot of stains and grunge to his clothing, I want to make him look like he's been sleeping in the back alleys of the city.

As for his shoes, well, they look like socks because that's what I was going for. I searched for a while when looking up reference to find any images from the comics where I could tell what he had on for shoes, and in the later issues and renditions of the character it looks like his has these long pointy socks on and I couldn't find any showing shoes... so he'll be wearing some old dirty brown socks on my version of the character.

I still need to add the shoulder spikes to his jacket and the handle on his jacket zipper, but I think that's about it. Anything else I'm forgetting or can improve on him?

clown_05.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks kickass, one of my favorite characters.
    you should do the demon form to when your done with this one!
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great. I see where you're going with the hair, smart.

I would make the cloth folds a bit sharper, specially the shirt.

I like the details on the forearm, but I think you can be a bit more forceful with them and pretty much everywhere else. This dude is a demon, even though he's a big guy, he's got some muscles. Sharper details and more skin folds. Make him grosser and more aggressive looking. That's what he's missing to go from great to AMAZING.

LOVE that there's something in his back pocket.

Keep at it!