Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

NorseAPC

Here is a little something I'm working on.
Front.jpg

perspective.jpg

side.jpg

closer_side.jpg

First off, I would like to point to the original concept art and give credit to the artist. http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/norseapc.html

Second, a few notes.
- Obviously the back half is roughly blocked out. My room-mate has pointed out that I should block out even more shapes so I can get a good feel of the form as a whole, and then work in all that fabulous detail.

- This is my first time "seriously" working off of someones concept. In other words, My attempt at staying close as the source as possible. Unfortunately this has lead me to a few burnout moments when considering the underside, rear and top portions. But I shall venture forth.

Lastly thank you for any and all critiques and comments that you may have for me.

Replies

• pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Here's my interpratation of the top profile.

Oqyhe.jpg

to be honest, that seems like a tough concept to model, especially if you're not experienced. Shapes and perspective seem a bit wonky and off, and it's hard to tell what's going on in more places than one.

I'd try something different with the square greebles on the lower side. It almost looks as though he somewhat indicated a slope down there, especially towards the front, but it's kinda vague, in my eyes. Either way, I'd try to make them more dynamic, either by slanting them with the angle of the outer hull, or tapering the belly. . .or something. Right now they stick out as being simple blocks slapped on.

Lots of the details could be pushed up in size a little I think.

You might also want to think about working some bevels in that aren't there in the concept, just to add some interest and keep it from looking to cubish.
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, Didn't get nearly as much done this weekend that I wanted to.

Firstly I added a slide onto the side of the ship, where you indicated. defiantly adds to the form. Second I worked a little on undercarriage bits.
    Lastly you might have noticed a loss of the top, just collateral damage as I reworked, the base shape. Thank you for the input, more to follow.
    perspective2.jpg
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More Things!

Unfortunately I did not get to work on this nearly as much as i wanted to.
    persp3.jpg

persp4.jpg
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cast Resurrection.
    Ok, so right after I returned from GDC, I was promoted to manager of the restaurant I work at, and since life has been hell. Only recently have I been able to return to work on this thing, and my portfolio in general. I would also like to say hello and thank you to all those I meet ad GDC, I'm sorry I didn't return emails, but as I said, It was a rough few months.

Now on to the project, as you can see I added the turret and a hatch, as well as worked on the areas of what I'm calling the engines. The larger shapes I want to work out now are the cannon, the shields, and the headpiece. once those are finished I will begin working on the finer details again.
    pesp6_29.jpg
    pesp2_6_29.jpg
    pesp1_6_29.jpg
    EDIT_ cannon
    cannon_1.jpg
    edito 2
    pesp7-10-1.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Watch out for your corner edging; I believe they're too sharp and won't show up well for baking if you're making a low poly. Basically, its not gonna read well from afar.
    Good luck.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Those are really hard edges, try soften them up a bit if you're going to bake a normal! =)

Keep on going dude, this is looking good! =)
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    garriola83 wrote: »
    Watch out for your corner edging; I believe they're too sharp and won't show up well for baking if you're making a low poly. Basically, its not gonna read well from afar.
    Good luck.

This. Your edges are currently way too sharp in order for them to bake properly. I recommend doing softer bevels (currently, most of your angles are 90 degree angles, you'll want to do less severe ones so that your low poly can actually capture your details and showcase them well.

Read this thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56014

As well as this one for general baking tips:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

And the wiki explains it even more( scroll down a bit for the part about "Hard Egde.."):
    http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTexturing%5Cb%29
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo, still alive, here is an attempt to soften the edges
    redo1_perpsctive.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Here's some bevels you should aim for, yours don't read that well.
    iKvvZ3UwQ62B8.png
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much, I will begin with haste.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    If you need to break the ship into parts to get the bevels, that could be fine depending on the shapes and how they come together. Also if the main thing you're fixing is the body, maybe it might be worth it to re-create the body (just the slanted box part, not the other accessories you've created: shields, plating, doors, etc).
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have begun to rebuild the main body, question about the edges, I tried making an edge similar to the one posted above but I ran into this issue.
    The edges around the front, side and top panel meet at this juncture. This has left me with a really funky corner. right now I'm playing around with wear to add, take away, move edges.
    wire.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    You don't have to do anything fancy for that corner.
    7k6CT.png
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well now i feel a little silly :P
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some softer edges for ya.

fix_5.jpg