Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mattock M-96

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
So, courses are over and summer has began... that means it's time for some personal stuff!

I've read through most of the How you model dem shapes and around the internet to figure out how sub-d modeling works lately and decided to try and give it a first try.
So I began modelling the heavy rifle from ME2 this morning from this concept.

I'm modelling it trying to not use floaters while keeping wires as clean as possible

Here's how i'm sitting after about 4-5 hours. Handle mostly finished and blocking in the upper parts

Pretty Render...
m96renderwip1.jpg

...and wires
m96wireswip1.jpg

C&C welcome and appreciated

PS: i know about those n-gons but since they're a perfectly flat surface they don't seem to cause pinching at all. Also sorry for massive images

EDIT:typo

Replies

• Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    The ngons won't necessarily make it look weird in the viewport, or even in renders. But you won't be able to bake in xNormals with them there. It won't even let you try. Also, ngons get turned into tri's if you bring it into UDK and because it does it automatically, sometimes it will make really weird tri's that will create flickering, backfacing, etc.

It looks like you still have a ways to go until you're completely done. But its looking good where it is. Just keep going back every once in a while to check all your angles and cuts. Try not to create more ngons either, its always easier to add edge loops when everything is in quads.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Moosebish wrote: »
    The ngons won't necessarily make it look weird in the viewport, or even in renders. But you won't be able to bake in xNormals with them there. It won't even let you try. Also, ngons get turned into tri's if you bring it into UDK and because it does it automatically, sometimes it will make really weird tri's that will create flickering, backfacing, etc.

It looks like you still have a ways to go until you're completely done. But its looking good where it is. Just keep going back every once in a while to check all your angles and cuts. Try not to create more ngons either, its always easier to add edge loops when everything is in quads.

Ah, If I interpreted it correctly this is the highpoly, the ngons won't matter at all as when it's subdivided it'll be turned into geometry anyway.

Looking like a good start Fnitrox
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the feedback guys, and yes this is the high poly model and will be quad-ified when i export the final obj for baking so those flat n-gons won't be n-gons anymore

also progress on this has been slow (diablo patch set my farming group a little back cause act 3 won't drop anything anymore xD and i had to move back to home frome rome) but today i managed to get a couple hours on this and completed the top section...

All that's left to model now is the top-front with the handle thingy then it'll be time to give the model a love pass looking for mistakes and i'll start on the lowpoly

m96renderwip2.jpg
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've managed to finish the High Poly model and I'm now in the process of creating the low poly

here's the finished High
    mattockfinished.jpg

There are some errors mainly due to me not completely understanding some details in the concept, but overall i'm pretty happy with it being the first time i actually done anything like this.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Look like a solid piece, but I would take another look on that sight there, it has very soft shapes for something like that, and also it looks like it isnt connected to the gun really, very floaty, you should have some kind of mechanism for keeping it in place, and maybe give it a bit more love, since its a natural focus area on a gun : )
  • MystiqueX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah the sight looks a little funny because it's not connected in the same way as the concept, with the moulded attachment area on the hand grip. Really nice work.
  • Sentinel373
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sentinel373 polycounter lvl 5
    very nice, now comes the hard part, figuring out which brand of logic the game designers used to make it fold up into its carrying mode :P

i tried to take this gun apart once and see if i could make it physicaly possible to fold it up like it does in the game without intersecting etc.

conclusion, it cannot be done without a major remodel.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    Look like a solid piece, but I would take another look on that sight there, it has very soft shapes for something like that, and also it looks like it isnt connected to the gun really, very floaty, you should have some kind of mechanism for keeping it in place, and maybe give it a bit more love, since its a natural focus area on a gun : )

I was actually thinking of redoing it completely as i didn't really like the one from the concept and rushed it a lot... guess i'll work on it a bit more then
  • Crispy_Critter
    Looks great so far! Very clean.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    looks really good so far, moddelling looks great. I love those ME2 gun designs, they're really believable whilst still looking nice and sci-fi