Old (#1)

When I import a mesh using FBX, it imports just fine with no surprises. However when I reimport it I get funky smooth groups.

To make matters worse, despite the content browser displaying the mesh with funky smooth groups, it doesn't seem to affect the meshes already imported and instanced in engine. Shown above are the same meshes; one in engine and one in the content browser. However adding another mesh from the content browser yields similar results.

Is there an option (or series of options) I'm overlooking during the reimporting process? I've had this happen with the November 2011, February and March 2012 builds of UDK.
Offline , triangle, 363 Posts, Join Date Oct 2011,  

Old (#2)
It's a bug, don't reimport like that, just do a regular import over the old file.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,783 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Stockholm, SE Send a message via MSN to Xoliul  

Old (#3)
Well would you look at that. Thanks a lot dude, such a simple fix

Old (#4)
Which FBX version are you using? 2012 should be used nowadays. Also I remember getting a box asking "overwrite existing normals" when I reimport. Might be just my imagination or that it doesn't work
Offline , triangle, 429 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#5)
i never had that problem with re-import, and i just use the fbx exporter in maya 2012
Online , veteran polycounter, 2,828 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010, Location Halifax, NS, Canada  

Old (#6)
Ya I'm using a maya 2012 with the 2012 FBX plug-in and having these issues. Autodesk's site shows a 2013 plug-in; you guys think I should give that a try?

XOliul's method seems to work just fine so far