Old (#1)
Hey folks! Thanks for stopping by.

Quick info:
Long Info (ie, I like to ramble):
Been struggling with trying to figure out where I fit in for a while. College preached generalism, every professional I talked to told me to specialize. My two favorite trades are character/creature modeling and animation. I'm fortunate enough to be working with an indie developer right now where I get to do a great many things. In between the work I do for him I am working on honing my character skills.

That means learning how to use ZBrush. I've come to realize that ZBrush strikes people one of two ways: It is either the most amazingly intuitive and easy thing in the world, or it is a sadistic torture device designed solely to make a beginning user feel like an idiot. I am, unfortunately, in that second camp.

I have never let frustration and feeling like an idiot discourage me for long, however, and I'm determined to break this beast of a program. (I come from cattle ranchers, please excuse the metaphor)

SO! I was shown this tutorial today and I had to stop after the first page. I had to stop not because I was confused, but because suddenly I was starting to GET IT. So I went and drew myself a beastie and blocked it out in Maya.

He's 1,500 tris, but I don't think that really matters because I'm just taking him into zbrush then I'll retopo later with a budget of 5,000.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Tigerfeet; 08-08-2014 at 06:42 AM..
Offline , triangle, 354 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Iowa Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerfeet  

Old (#2)
I made lips! omg! I feel so silly being so proud of these (these that look kinda junky still). But the point is they DON'T look like massive obnoxious fake wax lips pasted onto a mannequin.

Zbrush, I will make you howl for mercy yet!
Offline , triangle, 354 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Iowa Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerfeet  

Old (#3)
hit ctrl-D a few times in zbrush.
???
Profit.

dont stress too much on zbrush man, u need 3 brushes tops. the rest is just how good you can conceive 3d form and bringing it to life.

Go forth and Sculpt!

and pick up some anatomy books too itll help the 'conceiving' bit =3
The rules are different for sasquatch.
SketchBewk
Offline , spline, 152 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010,  

Old (#4)
Thanks SSquir33. I was trying to get a shape I liked at low resolution. I'll make sure to practice some more with a higher Sub-D level

Old (#5)
Sculpted another face today. I'm having trouble with creases, like the eyelid and around the corners of the nose.

Old (#6)
Hey!

I love the Rhinocicorn design and low poly. Looks really sweet. Creature designs are the best.
Offline , line, 76 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Canada  

Old (#7)
Working through tutorials on zbrush. Project called for a dragon so, rawr

Working to get more comfortable with the program before I come back to the Rhinocicorn.

Old (#8)
try experimenting with diffrent brushes,
Offline , line, 51 Posts, Join Date Apr 2012, Location Sydney, Australia  

Old (#9)
Concepting concepting....

Goal is to get this lady done over the summer so I'll have shiny pics of her to show off at PAX

Old (#10)
Knocked this model out on Sunday:

Over my breaks at work today I did a bit of a paintover to figure out what I wanted to do for the texture. I'm really not sure how I'm going to handle the helmet yet. Have to go back in and kick some n-gons in the arse when I get home too.

Old (#11)
Hey I learned how to use subtools (also transpose)! It's like a whole nother world of awesome has opened up He's still missing eyelids though so that's why he looks a bit.... crazed.

Old (#12)
Not anything sketchy or 3D, but I made some sushifish. Here's the one I did on Saturday

As a sushi:

Turned inside out, it becomes a fish!

When in sushi-mode, it's about the size of the large maki sushi, I can't remember exactly what they're called.

Old (#13)
Heya!

I love the face of the female character model you did (the whole design looks cool, I just love the style of the face). Hope to see more.
Offline , line, 76 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Canada  

Old (#14)
Thanks amadarien! I actually moved that model to its own thread in P&P, you can find it here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99016 if you want to see more

Old (#15)
Decided to paint something over the weekend. Also practiced shadows.

Last edited by Tigerfeet; 08-14-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old (#16)
I've been doing LOTS of sketching.

Here's a succubus:

and like... fifty more that are just like this

And a couple of quick 'n dirty character portraits:

Old (#17)
draaaaawing draaaawing faces

Last edited by Tigerfeet; 10-17-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old (#18)
Character sketches wheeeeeee!

Skintones are my new favorite things

Old (#19)
Paintover for you, my bad if it's unwelcome.

Most of the paintover was in the face, eyes and below. Liquify changed (changed...not perfectly fixed) several proportion issues that stood out to me. Tried to keep certain features but still make it more believable/realistic. Also, darker skinned folk tend to have higher contrast in their skin.

If you haven't seen it (it's pretty popular), this tutorial is awesome - the first section on lighting might help you get some better shapes and more confident looking end results: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

Additionally, are you by any chance squinting while you paint at all? I've seen people say it a lot, the whole "squint at your painting" thing, but I'd really recommend against it. Nobody who's looking at it is going to be squinting at it, you need to see what's actually there. The whole squinting thing usually comes from trying to get the overall picture, something you should be focusing on mainly in the real early stages of an image. Better than squinting is looking at a small version of it (or the navigator thumbnail in the corner, in photoshop), which accomplishes the same thing as squinting without getting you in to that bad habit. (I'm not going to say I never blur my vision a bit while painting, but be wary of it and its downsides, is all I'm saying).

It's possible you're not squinting or blurring your vision at all while you work. I only mention it because your visible brush strokes look a lot like mine a few years ago, pretty visible but sort of like a pencil sketch that uses 20 strokes for one short line - a little feathery and lacking confidence. Maybe try to use brushes without any pressure-sensitive opacity on occasion. Using a 100% opacity brush can force you to make sure your strokes are there with purpose, and can be a good exercise from time to time. Also, remember you can often times let shrinking your image help you out a lot in the end. If you're able to paint at 2,000 pixels plus in any given direction, feel free to shrink that shit down to <800-1000 pixels. Easier to see the whole image at once on most monitors anyway, and will help blend some things together for you by hiding brush strokes and the like.

Mostly I've just wanted to say for awhile that I like your rhinocicorn design a lot. But didn't just want to say that.

Keep posting!
Offline , polycounter, 1,289 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,  

Old (#20)
Dude, totally welcome, thank you SO much. And I actually hadn't seen that tutorial before. You've got me pegged pretty right too with the brush strokes, I do love that opacity-pressure brush. I'll start trying to sketch more with 100% lines. Tried doing a commission like that a week ago and hated everything about it. Obviously that means I need practice with it.

I think once I'm done with Nabooru and after PAX I might revisit mister rhinocicorn, try to bring him to the finish.

Thanks again for the crits, they're MUCH appreciated

Old (#21)
knocked out another quick character paint this evening. Maybe 2 hours' work. I'm getting faster!

Old (#22)
Sketched out a satyr in a hangout at work during lunch.

Old (#23)
Missed my sister's birthday, oops This is a pile of apology-birds

Old (#24)
I'm learning to work on a piece until I like it. I drew the first one a couple months ago, poking at it a bit yesterday and today, now it looks like the second. Still not quite done yet, but getting there.

Old (#25)
That second one looks way better! Good improvement there!
Offline , triangle, 376 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009,