Old (#1)
To make a long story short.. I saw an environment posted in pimping and previews once.. It was like a downtown-ish city and had a giant floating mouse head in the sky. Kind of post-apoc/dark mood. Does anyone know the thread I am referring to? >.<
Offline , line, 66 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location Austin, Texas  

Old (#2)
I don't know about the post, but is that what you are looking for?

Offline , triangle, 412 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location São Paulo Send a message via Skype™ to OniLolz  

Old (#3)
Wow, that is exactly what I was referring to. I can't believe this actually worked. Thank you. I got their username off of the video. This is exactly who I was looking for

*edited post*

Last edited by Zyloh; 05-06-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old (#4)
Thats http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69263. Artist is hydzior
Offline , spline, 169 Posts, Join Date Dec 2006, Location Irvine,CA  

Old (#5)
You guys rock

Old (#6)
The giant floating mouse head probably made it marginally easier to find. XD
Offline , Banned, 5,298 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,  

Old (#7)
Yeah I remember seeing this, that vid is insane XD
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,336 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location London, UK  

Old (#8)
Can anyone tell me what that effect is where its kind of like the old 3d pictures where you have red and green offset layers? I'v noticed it in this video and on they awesome character artists biker renders
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=76095

I would love to play around with that effect myself on a few things.
Offline , spline, 247 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012,  

Old (#9)
that effect is chromatic aberration, you can do it in photoshop with the lens correction filter or by manually offsetting channels, marmoset has it as a supported feature and you can set it up in UDK as well
weapons and vehicles artist at sledgehammer games
portfolio
skype ben.bolton.3d
email benbolton3d at gmail
Offline , triangle, 403 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location California  

Old (#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vio View Post
Can anyone tell me what that effect is where its kind of like the old 3d pictures where you have red and green offset layers? I'v noticed it in this video and on they awesome character artists biker renders
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=76095

I would love to play around with that effect myself on a few things.

Don't overuse it though, I swear its on it's way to becoming the next lens flare.
Offline , polygon, 723 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Austin, Tx Send a message via AIM to ericdigital  

Old (#11)
^
+1 for don't overuse Chromatic-Abberation.

I mean I understand the appeal, it fakes realism, but you have to remember that in real-life, Chroma happens for small things on pale backgrounds, like hair against the sky, transparent pieces of papers which are bent, maybe some hand mark smudge here and there, not like in those images, where half of the biker is send to high heaven and back with 3 broken colors.

So yeah, take care.
There's a very good chance that I experienced MORE problems, then all the internet put together in the area of 3D. Talk about being original for once...
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,775 Posts, Join Date Apr 2011, Location Canada  

Old (#12)
Honestly I never quite understood what that effect is supposed to simulate. I thought maybe it's some effect that happens naturally with film cameras or something.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,102 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Los Angeles Send a message via AIM to Bigjohn  

Old (#13)
Its a photography thing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration
Offline , I love typing, 8,549 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Columbus Ohio Send a message via MSN to ZacD  

Old (#14)
yes, if overdone, it will not look good. this also goes for bloom, noise, depth of field, specular strength, and literally everything
weapons and vehicles artist at sledgehammer games
portfolio
skype ben.bolton.3d
email benbolton3d at gmail
Offline , triangle, 403 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location California  

Old (#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdigital View Post
Don't overuse it though, I swear its on it's way to becoming the next lens flare.
Ah Chromatic-Abberation. Well its the subtle hints of it that caught my eye. I don't think I would ever of liked it over used.

Old (#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacD View Post
That makes it sound like an error, or at least the result of using a cheap lens. I'm not sure why we would want to simulate that.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,102 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Los Angeles Send a message via AIM to Bigjohn  

Old (#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
That makes it sound like an error, or at least the result of using a cheap lens. I'm not sure why we would want to simulate that.
Same thing could be said about lense flare.
Offline , I love typing, 8,549 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Columbus Ohio Send a message via MSN to ZacD  

Old (#18)
lol yeah, which doesn't make sense to me either. Or water splashing on the camera, or a crack on the camera, or things bouncing off the camera.

Anything that reminds you there's a camera there, I don't see the point of.

Old (#19)
Ehhh.. I think it adds a sense of cinema spice into games. I mean, why would movies add shaky cam? Whatever the reason it was awesome in Children of Men. And Lense Flair makes sci fi movies like Star Trek look even more sci-fi and techy. That's why Mass Effect 3 and Killzone uses it, and why we did it in Fall of Cybertron. I think Chromatic abbe ration has it's place, like if you are getting shot and hurt or for cool special effects.

Come on! Don't tell me you didn't think it was awesome when you were playing Metroid Prime and your screen got all wet from the rain! Blew my mind back in the day
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,082 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009, Location San Diego, CA Send a message via AIM to ErichWK  

Old (#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichWK View Post
Come on! Don't tell me you didn't think it was awesome when you were playing Metroid Prime and your screen got all wet from the rain! Blew my mind back in the day
Oh yeah, that was awesome. But there they had the excuse of the player wearing a helmet, so it made sense.

For Sci-Fi, my favorite stuff was the space scenes in Firefly. I don't remember if they used lens-flares or not, but I loved how it goes all silent. The excuse being that since there's no air in space, you won't hear the engines and whatnot.

Old (#21)
I bet it would be an awesome helper effect if you were trying to make a scene look like its filmed on old VHS or something.

I was speaking to an indi film maker friend about such effects and its surprising how hard it is to find ways to correctly get the old VHS look, without actual having to get a real VHS player and feed it into a modern digital format.

I really could have done with it last year working on a game about the early 80's

Last edited by Vio; 05-08-2012 at 03:55 AM..