Old (#26)
You can work locally inside of dropbox without problems. The files do exist on your HDD, in a folder of your choosing and anything you put in there gets copied, uploaded, backed up and synced to other machines that are logged into your dropbox. If the constant uploading gets too be an issue you can "pause upload" or just shut off dropbox until you're done working, turn it on and it will upload and sync.

It can be annoying if you are sharing a folder with other people to be saving every few seconds, by default you get notifications that tell you when files are downloaded. But if its just you no one is going to care.

Last edited by Mark Dygert; 05-03-2012 at 08:41 AM..
(AKA Vig) Portfolio | Lab | Brawl | Decker |
Offline , Polycount.com Editor, 14,630 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, Wa Send a message via MSN to Mark Dygert  

Old (#27)
With Dropbox you have the files on your computer it just syncs the folder with their servers whenever a file is saved, removed, or added.
Offline , spline, 182 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009,  

Old (#28)
I work directly in dropbox since it gives you a nice history in case of mistakes. For example i had accidentally instanced an object and when i made a variation on said object i messed up the others.

All i had to do was go back 10 minutes in history and copy paste the old model into the latest scene.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,135 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location Stockholm, Sweden  

Old (#29)
I use dropbox, and an FTP. I also have a few different external hard drives that store the last 5 years worth of work and reference. Occasionally, when I make something I really like, I burn the stuff on a disc.
Environment Artist at Insomniac Games
Blog
- LinkedIn - Twitter
Offline , polycounter, 873 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Dick Jokes From Sherman Oaks, CA  

Old (#30)
as most others i use dropbox, and have an ftp as well. i had this pointed out to me the other day which seems like its a pretty neat thing too.

http://www.drobo.com/
Sean Marino - Portfolio | ArtStation
Sledgehammer Games - Weapons/Vehicle Artist
[Riot Contest - Fizz]
[Tutorial] Tileable Textures
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,247 Posts, Join Date Apr 2007, Location Belmont, CA Send a message via Skype™ to Oniram  

Old (#31)
For the advanced user you may want to look into an off-site server(at your parents house or something) running some kind of SVN/Subversion. It's not optimal for binary files but it works and gives great control.
-_-
Offline , spline, 150 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#32)
I use dropbox on an automatic backup cycle every night at 12am using some software called "goodsync" it analyses your source folder and your backup folder and only syncs the new or changed files. I work in 1 folder, and at 12 it automatically syncronised to my dropbox folder and then uploads that to my dropbox account. I pay about 7 a month for the 50gb dropbox combined with the unlimited older versions tool (so you can undo a file if you overwrite it accidently).

I worried alot about losing my work, so I decided id be proactive and pay 7-10 a month for the piece of mind that my stuff is stored somewhere online. Definately worth it. Living in the city, I figured that if my appartment were to ever get burgled id be most pissed about losing my files, so If i keep them elsewhere then atleast I can be happy that im not going to lose the last 6/7 years of my life.

Sorry to hear about you losing your work man, the most positive way of looking at it is that im sure that when you redo the work you'll do it better and quicker and general quality will be better throughout.

Last edited by scotthomer; 05-03-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Scott Homer - Freelance Artist - (Ex-Crytek UK - 'Crysis 3' - 'Homefront: The Revolution')
UE4: The Wayback Institute.
Portfolio Website (Updated 2014) - Linkedin
Offline , polygon, 517 Posts, Join Date Oct 2010, Location Nottingham, UK  

Old (#33)
Another thing to keep in mind is if you back up to physical drives, memory sticks, or even DVD/CD's, if you ever get robbed they will probably take your backup media too...

I think this came up a year or two back when someone lost their life's work that was stored on an external drive. I think his/her new plan was to have a wireless HD sitting on the network but, buried in the back of a closet or in a wall or some strange place that is hard to get to. It seems a bit extreme... until it happens... =/
Offline , Polycount.com Editor, 14,630 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, Wa Send a message via MSN to Mark Dygert  

Old (#34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dygert View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is if you back up to physical drives, memory sticks, or even DVD/CD's, if you ever get robbed they will probably take your backup media too...

I think this came up a year or two back when someone lost their life's work that was stored on an external drive. I think his/her new plan was to have a wireless HD sitting on the network but, buried in the back of a closet or in a wall or some strange place that is hard to get to. It seems a bit extreme... until it happens... =/
my Nas is about 200 miles away
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,970 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010, Location Ireland  

Old (#35)
Sugarsync

The best backup solution I've encountered by far - automatically syncs and backs up folders/files, and can sync over multiple computers, so if you need between labtop/desktop or home/work. Also starts with five gigs free - up to an additional 750 mb free and runs deals often, I've got the 30 gig of storage for only $ 25 a year. Switched form dropbox about a year ago and haven't looked back since.
Offline , polygon, 515 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Los Angeles, CA  

Old (#36)
I don't back up anything personal. I should probably change that :|
www.marksneddon.net | Twitter
Technical Artist
Offline , polycounter, 802 Posts, Join Date May 2008, Location Brighton, UK  

Old (#37)
Quote:

Haha, if someone wants to try and steal my PC, they're welcome.

It's a massive, heavy case with about 3.5 litres of water in it along with all the rest of the hardware. If they made it down the stairs without destroying their back, I'd be impressed :P
Online , dedicated polycounter, 1,897 Posts, Join Date Mar 2007, Location Leeds (UK) Send a message via MSN to Farfarer Send a message via Skype™ to Farfarer  

Old (#38)
I use dropbox too. Although I don't keep the app open while i'm working, otherwise it's constantly uploading and syncing shit.
I do open the app when I'm done with my shit, and let it upload.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,034 Posts, Join Date Aug 2007, Location q3dm6  

Old (#39)
Quote:
Just gotta hide them. Most robbers are in a hurry (except for the drunk/drugged stupid kind). They usually don't bother turning a place inside out. Nobody's going through all your books or plates and pans and looking what's behind them.

Just don't keep your only backup right next to your PC. Hide a NAS somewhere (may be a problem with Wifi/cabeling) or just do a monthly backup and hide the media somewhere. Super paranoid people can also rent a safe deposit box at a bank....or if you can afford to lose more, copy everything to a HDD and deposit it with parents/relatives/etc. and then update it every 6 months/year.

Last edited by Kwramm; 05-03-2012 at 06:46 PM..
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 1,933 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Virtuos Games @ Shanghai Send a message via MSN to Kwramm Send a message via Skype™ to Kwramm  

Old (#40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Haha, if someone wants to try and steal my PC, they're welcome.

It's a massive, heavy case with about 3.5 litres of water in it along with all the rest of the hardware. If they made it down the stairs without destroying their back, I'd be impressed :P
Hahaha yea, mine isn't water cooled but it weighs 41lbs just by itself (Cool Master Cosmos) probably pushing 50-52 with everything inside. They could push it down a flight of stairs and it would do more damage to the building than to the system, which is what I worry about. Steal it? FINE... but don't make me patch holes and paint, ha!

Kwramm, that's a good point.

Old (#41)
Came across this, thought I'd link.

http://active.tutsplus.com/articles/...webdesigntuts/
Offline , Banned, 5,298 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,  

Old (#42)
My main backup is sugarsync and I absolutely love it.

sugarsync link - https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?r...reEvent=458386

Along with that I use a few WD 2TB HDD, got them back when newegg had them on sale months ago for like $60 a piece.
Offline , triangle, 266 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location Denver  

Old (#43)
Hmm. Sugarsynch actually seems like pretty much what I was looking for! The ability to sync up any folder is very cool. What's the catch? I'll do your referral thingy later for sure, thanks for sharing.
Offline , Banned, 5,298 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,