Old (#1)

on the left is my high poly and on the right is my low poly. I'm having some issues with the normal map tapering in at the vertices. How do I make a consistent, straight line down the low poly mesh?
Offline , spline, 101 Posts, Join Date Apr 2012,  

Old (#2)
first of all id use hard edges on border parts of your model so it doesnt suck in the projection, which you can especially see on the top bar part.

as for waviness, check this out http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap#Solving_Wavy_Lines
Indie Video Game Developer
Offline , triangle, 381 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010, Location California  

Old (#3)
Are you baking with an averaged cage? Or using some calculator / offset?
Nick Quackenbush, Star Trek Ship Artist @ Cryptic Studios ---- Linked In || Twitter || District 9 Mech
Offline , polycounter, 1,015 Posts, Join Date Jul 2006, Location San Jose, California  

Old (#4)
first, is this maya/max?
It looks like Maya, if it is I would just put hard edges on the corners and make sure the lowpoly is inside the chamfer, not outside.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,648 Posts, Join Date Feb 2006, Location Irvine CA Send a message via MSN to bugo Send a message via Skype™ to bugo  

Old (#5)
If this is just a wall piece, you should just project it onto a plane.
Offline , vertex, 44 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location LA  

Old (#6)
Looks like it's a problem with your cage, as said before your projection is being "sucked" to the side. If possible try change the cage, or even go into phtoshop and blur the wavey lines untill they are straight.
Offline , spline, 149 Posts, Join Date May 2012, Location England  

Old (#7)
^ or add a supporting edge close to the corner to influence the interpolation on the averaged cage.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,643 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Berlin