Author : Lextripper

View Poll Results: Which of the characters in this post is worth taking to completion?
Purple vampire head 2 5.00%
Realistic black guy 3 7.50%
Realistic woman 7 17.50%
Muscly Marine type (Generic hero) 2 5.00%
Evil Fat guy (Baron Harkonen?) 2 5.00%
Skinny Elf face (Medieval Thief?) 1 2.50%
Old white guy (Space captain?) 4 10.00%
Old Japanese guy (samurai?) 4 10.00%
Turtleneck guy (Modern crook?) 4 10.00%
Cartoony self portrait 0 0%
Purple Alien (Think mass effect + prometheus space suit) 6 15.00%
Comic Book female 4 10.00%
Cyborg Orc (Shadowrun?) 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old (#1)
I was part of the big layoff at Vigil Games 2 weeks ago and now really need to update my folio of personal work.

My plan is to take some of the more decent items from my assortment of WIPS and finish them up publicly, if possible, over the next month and a half while I continue to look for work.

Trouble is, I cannot decide which project, if any, deserves being finished.

So! I figured I'd let Polycount pick the first. Whatever gets picked would get finished to either a full next-gen character or maybe bust.

Oops, forgot the shadowrun-ish orc/ran outta space.
Character Artist
Available for Full-time or Freelance
www.ryan-jackson.net
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,225 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location San Diego, Ca Send a message via ICQ to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via MSN to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Yahoo to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Skype™ to ScoobyDoofus  

Old (#2)
Uagh! what a shame dude.

Black guy, greybeard, or black turtleneck. In that order.
Concept Art Portfolio
3d Portfolio | LOOKING FOR WORK
sketcbook
- updated sometimesly!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,174 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006, Send a message via AIM to Joseph Silverman Send a message via MSN to Joseph Silverman  

Old (#3)
Hey, sorry about the layoff situation. It's good looking work you have there. Personally my favorites are the old'ish man upper right corner and the turtle neck guy. Just me though.

At any rate, I'll keep watching this one. Good luck in your job search.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,447 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Seattle  

Old (#4)
The Baron Harkonen, obviously.
Offline , null, 15 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Irvine  

Old (#5)
The marine, make it after the sniper in me3 London
Offline , polygon, 507 Posts, Join Date Dec 2011, Location Romania, Bucharest  

Old (#6)
As it seems that you got a good range of different style of character, I would say that it would depend which studio you would aim for?
Otherwise I would say any of the character that demonstrate a good understanding of human anatomy (which doesn't really help I know :p)
Offline , triangle, 468 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Nottingham UK  

Old (#7)
Go Go baron Harkonnen in a flying chair ^^ !
Offline , polygon, 589 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location France Send a message via Skype™ to Texelion  

Old (#8)
If your goal is to land work as soon as possible, finish all the ultra boring realistic ones because that is all most studios seem to be working with stylewise these days.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,614 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Reykjavik, Iceland Send a message via ICQ to poopinmymouth Send a message via AIM to poopinmymouth Send a message via MSN to poopinmymouth Send a message via Yahoo to poopinmymouth Send a message via Skype™ to poopinmymouth  

Old (#9)
Most studios look for 'anatomically' normal characters which is used a gauge your skill right off the bat.

So yeah, finish off the black dude, the white dude and the gal first.
There's a very good chance that I experienced MORE problems, then all the internet put together in the area of 3D. Talk about being original for once...
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,763 Posts, Join Date Apr 2011, Location Canada  

Old (#10)
Well, so far the woman sculpt has it...
I've pasted that head on the comic body and made some edits, plus I did this paintover tonight for a possible direction.

I think I'm still stuck in Darksiders mode. :P
Character Artist
www.ryan-jackson.net
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,225 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location San Diego, Ca Send a message via ICQ to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via MSN to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Yahoo to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Skype™ to ScoobyDoofus  

Old (#11)

blah. I dunno if I'm gonna keep the purple witch thing.
Character Artist
www.ryan-jackson.net

Old (#12)
SHITS BAWLER!
Portfolio
Available for work.
Offline , triangle, 425 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location Winter Park, FL Send a message via AIM to itismario  

Old (#13)
Wait this is considered turd? I'll be back in my cellar then...
Offline , triangle, 274 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012,  

Old (#14)
She looks lovely, there's something about her eyes that makes her look upset/vunerable which adds alot of character, this isn't a bad thing its nice to see so much character at this early stage.
Offline , vertex, 29 Posts, Join Date Feb 2008, Location Edinburgh  

Old (#15)
That looks awesome man. Would you mind a brief overview of your texturing process for the skin?

I say keep going with this witch theme.
Offline , spline, 164 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010, Location Auckland, New Zealand Send a message via MSN to Sculptaur Send a message via Skype™ to Sculptaur  

Old (#16)
Love pretty much all the heads. Chick, Alien, William Defoe, and Back dude in that order ;)

With this work, think of what your port lacks and the type of companies you want to aim for. Big studios have styles pretty much set, so you can clearly aim your port at what you like, or show more versatility and have a piece for each.

Just went ahead and did a paint over for some extra ideas design wise. Love her face but it doesn't really read evil witch to me. I know you can pose the eyes in the low-poly, just an observation. Kickin ass dude, looking forward to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RJ_paint.jpg (67.6 KB, 126 views)
Offline , spline, 180 Posts, Join Date Aug 2005, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#17)
Quote:
texturing process for the skin
Yea I would be interested in this as well. I love those purple hues you have going on!
Offline , polygon, 655 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location Raleigh NC  

Old (#18)
Looking good Scoob I liked the female that you are currently working on, and the dude in the turtle neck. KEEP IT UP!
Paul Poff
Portfolio
8tracks
Offline , triangle, 294 Posts, Join Date Apr 2010, Location Aliso Viejo, CA Send a message via AIM to POFFINGTON  

Old (#19)
Definitely love where you're going with this scoob, and +1 on onelung's suggestions.
I would however, do something more crazy with the hair though, it's bit bland like that. And maybe some boney necklaces and earrings could be cool as well.

Also, dat turtleneck guy!
Technical Character Artist @ Remedy

Maphart.com ~ Online Portfolio
Twitter: @maphart
My indie Game: MageMaze
Offline , polycounter, 954 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location Helsinki, Finland  

Old (#20)
Thought I'd chime in with a "OMG!" on the female head after seeing it on the WAYWO thread.

Really dig all the characters, though the neck on your female head may be a tad long. The witch approach is still worth it. Unless you go for a back-packer/explorer?
Offline , line, 99 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location UK  

Old (#21)
Awesome Ryan! Definitely looking forward to seeing this progress. I had no clue you had so many projects going on! Why isn't any of that up on your port?
Offline , polycounter, 768 Posts, Join Date Jan 2007, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoofus View Post
blah. I dunno if I'm gonna keep the purple witch thing.
€0,02: I kind of like the purple skin purely for its visual quality (seeing different hues in skin is always nice), but I'm not crazy on the grand concept. It's so... one sided and cliché. Purple, evil, skulls, snakes, they're all from the same library of ideas.
Again, just personal opinion, but consider twisting a cliché or two. A witch with a summer instead of winter theme? A likeable character in purple?
Portfolio | Sketchbook

Mileage and reference.
Offline , polycounter, 1,178 Posts, Join Date Jul 2005, Send a message via MSN to Zwebbie  

Old (#23)
Yo Ryan, just wanted to pop in and say your work has really improved lately, keep it up!
Offline , Moderator, 9,631 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Iowa City, IA  

Old (#24)
I agree with the human figures first.
though I was liking the purple alien a lot, for me It has potential.

I'd love that skin tut, but that's just wishful thinking.
Best of luck, love the work, keep your head up!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,009 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#25)
yeah why isn't that turtle neck dude a full char yet ^^

(tho you are really rockin that female char hard ^^)
it's time to ingest sandwiches from my compartment

http://www.nizza3d.com/ <- folio wip...
Offline , polycounter, 810 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location Montreal, Candadadada