Reply
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Darkrusader's Avatar
Old (#1)
I came across this the other day and thought it was pretty awesome.

Offline , line, 51 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Newport Beach, CA  
   Reply With Quote

ScudzAlmighty's Avatar
Old (#2)
that is indeed awesome
Available for freelance or fulltime work

My Blogfolio
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,665 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Vancouver BC  
   Reply With Quote

Bigjohn's Avatar
Old (#3)
Well... Grateful Dead > Superman64
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,102 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Los Angeles Send a message via AIM to Bigjohn  
   Reply With Quote

SgtNasty's Avatar
Old (#4)
Penn is awesome. Great quote.
Offline , triangle, 311 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Montreal, QC  
   Reply With Quote

crazyfingers's Avatar
Old (#5)

I like the grateful dead :/

Last edited by crazyfingers; 04-11-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,483 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location San Diego, CA  
   Reply With Quote

r_fletch_r's Avatar
Old (#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
I like the grateful dead :/
perhaps he hasn't listened to them enough to get them.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,970 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010, Location Ireland  
   Reply With Quote

almighty_gir's Avatar
Old (#7)
i think that's the irony he's getting at...
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,057 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004,  
   Reply With Quote

Wesley's Avatar
Old (#8)
Awesome! Shame about the typos.
Offline , polycounter, 795 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location Edinburgh  
   Reply With Quote

d1ver's Avatar
Old (#9)
A smart grownup - those are rare these days
he's pretty spot on.

Though it did take me like a minute of "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" to interest me enough to eventually get hooked on Dylan for life.

Just pimping Bob Dylan here Just in case;)
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,591 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Santa Monica, California Send a message via Skype™ to d1ver  
   Reply With Quote

dustinbrown's Avatar
Old (#10)
This nugget of wisdom from the man that brought us Desert Bus.

Character Artist | Portfolio
I regularly post WIPs on Facebook @ Dustin Brown Art
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,246 Posts, Join Date May 2009, Location San Diego  
   Reply With Quote

Ace-Angel's Avatar
Old (#11)
There is a difference between a Nerd and a Geek, Penn.

A Geek is someone who goes to watch Star-Wars at a reasonable hour, and gets a nice seat if available and goes home later on.

A Nerd is someone who dresses up as Darth-Vader, goes to the Midnight Screening, takes the most horrible seats regardless of availability, watches it 3 times in a row, goes home, and complains about it on the internet till the early hour of the mornings and cares who shot first in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, I wouldn't exactly pride myself being called a Nerd.
There's a very good chance that I experienced MORE problems, then all the internet put together in the area of 3D. Talk about being original for once...
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,799 Posts, Join Date Apr 2011, Location Canada  
   Reply With Quote

Joseph Silverman's Avatar
Old (#12)
Dont forget to spend five hours juggling too, guys!
!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,177 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006,  
   Reply With Quote

Andreas's Avatar
Old (#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace-Angel View Post
There is a difference between a Nerd and a Geek, Penn.

A Geek is someone who goes to watch Star-Wars at a reasonable hour, and gets a nice seat if available and goes home later on.

A Nerd is someone who dresses up as Darth-Vader, goes to the Midnight Screening, takes the most horrible seats regardless of availability, watches it 3 times in a row, goes home, and complains about it on the internet till the early hour of the mornings and cares who shot first in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, I wouldn't exactly pride myself being called a Nerd.
I always made the distinction that nerds were just smarter variations of geeks, but I like your analogy better.
Offline , Banned, 5,298 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,  
   Reply With Quote

Swizzle's Avatar
Old (#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace-Angel View Post
There is a difference between a Nerd and a Geek, Penn.

A Geek is someone who goes to watch Star-Wars at a reasonable hour, and gets a nice seat if available and goes home later on.

A Nerd is someone who dresses up as Darth-Vader, goes to the Midnight Screening, takes the most horrible seats regardless of availability, watches it 3 times in a row, goes home, and complains about it on the internet till the early hour of the mornings and cares who shot first in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, I wouldn't exactly pride myself being called a Nerd.
Nerd and geek are basically meaningless and largely interchangeable words at this point. I used to feel the exact same way before I realized that nobody beyond myself and a bunch of neck bearded whiners were the only ones who cared about the distinction and pretty much everybody else just used the words to mean "Socially awkward people who play video games and don't go outside enough."

They're both terms that have completely lost any distinct meaning in all but the most technical of discussions (a geek was someone who bit heads off live chickens in sideshows, for example).

So, basically, stop being butthurt and actually use your eyes and brain so you can read what the guy said instead of latching onto a meaningless term that offends you for no reason.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,645 Posts, Join Date Dec 2007, Location Fremont, CA  
   Reply With Quote

WarrenM's Avatar
Old (#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Silverman View Post
Dont forget to spend five hours juggling too, guys!
I don't mean to nitpick this but ... where does he advocate that, exactly?
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,735 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010,  
   Reply With Quote

SHEPEIRO's Avatar
Old (#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
Nerd and geek are basically meaningless and largely interchangeable words at this point. I used to feel the exact same way before I realized that nobody beyond myself and a bunch of neck bearded whiners were the only ones who cared about the distinction and pretty much everybody else just used the words to mean "Socially awkward people who play video games and don't go outside enough."

They're both terms that have completely lost any distinct meaning in all but the most technical of discussions (a geek was someone who bit heads off live chickens in sideshows, for example).

So, basically, stop being butthurt and actually use your eyes and brain so you can read what the guy said instead of latching onto a meaningless term that offends you for no reason.
although i agree with you to apoint... people give words meaning and if a word means something to you...you cant be incorrect...you be against the grain language changes like a flock of starlings in flight.
principal lighting artist @ r*north
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,527 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location edinburgh  
   Reply With Quote

Joseph Silverman's Avatar
Old (#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenMarshall View Post
I don't mean to nitpick this but ... where does he advocate that, exactly?
He doesnt. Considering he's a professional at the top of the world as a juggler and a magician, i think its implied that the time was well spent. :p

Juggling, for us, of course, is art!
!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,177 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006,  
   Reply With Quote

WarrenM's Avatar
Old (#18)
I guess I'm not grasping your point. Carry on.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,735 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010,  
   Reply With Quote

adam's Avatar
Old (#19)
When it comes to videogames, who gives a shit what Penn has to say? Yes, he's saying a positive message for us but if it were a negative one, the reply would be 'Its Penn, who gives a shit?'

The gaming community is an odd bunch. Fuck you if you're against us, yay if you're for us, regardless of your credentials.
Offline , Administrator, 8,984 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Toronto, Canada Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam  
   Reply With Quote

Fuse's Avatar
Old (#20)
Penn is a pretty interesting individual and he's great to listen to regarding social and cultural topics. It's not so much that I'm interested about his opinion, it's how he presents the situation. He's also a comedian in a sense, so it's always fun to hear from comics. It's the same thing with Joe Rogan.
Character Artist @ Digital Extremes
www.thatpolygon.com
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,658 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location London Canada  
   Reply With Quote

Tulkamir's Avatar
Old (#21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
When it comes to videogames, who gives a shit what Penn has to say? Yes, he's saying a positive message for us but if it were a negative one, the reply would be 'Its Penn, who gives a shit?'

The gaming community is an odd bunch. Fuck you if you're against us, yay if you're for us, regardless of your credentials.
Ad Hominem goes both ways. Doesn't matter if someone's for or against, their argument should be judged based on its merits, not the person's. IMO, we just generally shouldn't disregard anyone's point just because they don't live up to some arbitrary standard of credentials. ;)

In other words - I give a shit what Penn says, and agree with it in this case. Just like I give a shit what others says, even when I disagree with them.
Game & Level Designer
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,130 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Vancouver, BC Send a message via MSN to Tulkamir  
   Reply With Quote

Mark Dygert's Avatar
Old (#22)
Geek: a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

Nerd: an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

So it seems like nerd fits the best? But I agree with Penn's main point, practice and obsession can get you pretty far. It can also get you a restraining order and a bunk on death row... so yea not always a positive thing.
(AKA Vig) Portfolio | Lab | Brawl | Decker |
Offline , Polycount.com Editor, 14,630 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, Wa Send a message via MSN to Mark Dygert  
   Reply With Quote

crazyfingers's Avatar
Old (#23)
*woosh* I'm dense, thanks almighty

I have no idea where this is going but here we go:
http://vimeo.com/15432053

Last edited by crazyfingers; 04-11-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,483 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location San Diego, CA  
   Reply With Quote

Kwramm's Avatar
Old (#24)
wise words. too many people nowadays don't dare to say "I don't know" and shut up and instead blart out whatever uninformed opinion they have because you know, you gotta have an opinion nowadays.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 1,933 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Virtuos Games @ Shanghai Send a message via MSN to Kwramm Send a message via Skype™ to Kwramm  
   Reply With Quote

adam's Avatar
Old (#25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkamir View Post
Ad Hominem goes both ways. Doesn't matter if someone's for or against, their argument should be judged based on its merits, not the person's. IMO, we just generally shouldn't disregard anyone's point just because they don't live up to some arbitrary standard of credentials. ;)

In other words - I give a shit what Penn says, and agree with it in this case. Just like I give a shit what others says, even when I disagree with them.
There's a huge difference between opinion and informed opinion. One is easily entertained while the other can be heavily considered. So while I can appreciate the opinion, in the grand scheme of things - for me personally - his really doesn't matter.

2 cents.

EDIT: I should also note that I don't disagree with what he's saying. It would just weigh heavily with me.

Last edited by adam; 04-12-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Offline , Administrator, 8,984 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Toronto, Canada Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam  
   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1998-2014 Polycount