Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Riddler ( Batman )

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Guedin polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

It's been a while I started working on this guy so I thought I should open a thread.
I'm attempting to do a redesign of the Riddler character from Batman. From now on, My main idea is to make a more futuristic version of him. He'll be holding a cane with a scanner device, giving him the ability to scan brain of his enemy and monitoring its activity thanks to an hologram projected above it. I was also thinking about a way to control some areas of the brain and be able to inhibit, with ultrawaves or something, some functions like memory, emotions, logic, ... Not sure if it gonna end like this though.

Here's what I got so far, basically everything is wip :

WIP-Riddler05.jpg

Some early concepts :

WIP-Riddler06.jpg

A quick colo test :

WIP-Riddler02.jpg

Trying to define the shapes of the head :

WIP-Riddler07.jpg

What I had in mind for the sceptre :

WIP-Riddler08.jpg

Replies

• Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    Cool, the Riddler's one of my favorite Batman villains.

I'm not much of a character guy so I can't crit too much on the model. But on the color test, it might be nice to to work some subtle question mark shapes into the maze shapes that fade in at the ends of the legs and arms.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    needs more of this....

The_Riddler_%28BF%29.jpg

seriously though, right now he forms are pretty undefined for the costume, and its looking a bit weird. look at some fashion design ref maybe to help you get down some cool looking shapes and creases.
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xelan101 : You're right ! Thanks for the idea ... I'll try to not forget it.

@Pixelmasher : Thanks for the help ! Are you speaking about the overall design or just the sculpting ? Until now it was kind of a concept sculpt, and everything should be redone properly.
    About the design, I probably did some mistake. I used ref of this guy with a suit more than the version with spandex. What do you think is not working ? I would want something that would kind of look like this at the end but it probably may be improved.

Anyway, I worked on the pants and shoes for now :

WIP-Riddler09.jpg

WIP-Riddler10.jpg

WIP-Riddler11.jpg
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kept working on the body ... Still WIP though :

WIP-Riddler12.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    That suits is SO badass. I feel like the top portion of the suit lost something in the High-res pass. The block out felt a little softer and less rigid. It could be as simple as rounding out your edges so the forms are a little softer.
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    I think one or two asymmetrical elements to his suit (say something near the shoulders) would add a lot.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The Riddler is crazy, but also sophisticated in his taste for his wear.

So give him a clip for his tie, since he most likely will want to keep it tucked and formal with his suit.

Sci-Fi cuffs are a must at this point.

Don't forget the Mark on his Bowler hat, that is a must, piece or tattoo type, doesn't matter, you need the symbol to stand out.

Deus Ex type Glasses would be a nice touch to add, while keeping a more of the a retro look to them, but really, it's up to you what you want to do with your WIP since you're still not finished with it.
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the help !

@Konstruct : I agree, I'll see what I can do with top portion. Thanks

@Cortes : You're right, I'll think of something to break symmetry

@Ace-Angel : Great idea for the clip, I think it's gonna be a nice touch
    The cuffs are not done yet but that something I planned to do. And for the bowler, I think it's too boring right now, I'll try to improve that.
    About the glasses, I'm still not sure what I'll go for. I would like to not hide his eyes but it would be a nice to see some sci-fi pieces on the head.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Monocle is always an option, maybe one hanging near his eye to help the feel of his techno jaw device.

You could also not have the glasses closed, just some near eyes pieces, that's about it.

Also, you could take a look at google's recent eye device, something moveable and floaty could be an idea ;P