Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Axe, EvanG

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
EvanG polycounter lvl 17
Here is my current design I've tried a few other things I'm most happy with this idea so far. I call it the "Dead Splitter" I'm going to rework the hilt and the runes curious to hear what everyone thanks though.
headsplitter.jpg

Replies

• EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Interesting. The back blade serves no purpose really so might wanna drop that one. The main blade makes me think of a mohawk. Would be cool to have it going further along the head like that kind of hairstyle. Sort of a punk skull axe. :)
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    Interesting. The back blade serves no purpose really so might wanna drop that one. :)

I disagree with that suggestion. The back blade serves its purpose well. Balance. It would look silly without something to balance it out on the back. Not to mention it would be hard to wield. Balance. Gotta have it in one form or another imho.

*edit* Didn't see how much it was poking out the back. I'd definitely look into trying to fit the whole thing into the box a bit better. But I'd definitely try to keep it balanced.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I love the design and the skull looks great but I think the back blade may just come too far out of the Hit phantom, I may be wrong though.

Good job :)
  • EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
    AimBiZ, pseudoBug, Mathew O
    Thanks for the responses guys. I certainly was having the same questions running through my mind... I will try to make some adjustments tonight after I get back from GDC maybe making the whole top part smaller will help to solve all the issues.

After watching the speed the of the game play attack in the video that was posted I'm not overly concerned that the hit phantom is off cause it will most like be swung in a quick swiping motion and the hit should feel the same.
  • EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
    headsplitter2.jpg

Here is where the 2D is at... pretty much done with this part I'm going to start modelling it next week I will probably change a few things in that phase and as I sculpt.

I am going to keep the back blade as is, I scaled the whole top part down a bit and fit it a bit more to the phantom but it still sticks out the back
  • EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
    Here is the beginning of the Zbrush. I gotta get to the hilt still, also damage detail and stuff. I'll probably be done with Zbrush this weekend and then on to resurface and textures. Mesh so far is all been done inside Zbrush with Dynamesh Extract and Shadowbox for anyone who is interested in that sorta thing :)

ds2weaponwip.jpg
  • EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
    I made a hilt and some poly painting to get an idea for how I want to start the textures :)
    polypaintexploration.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yeah blue always goes well with bone.

Only crit is that the main blade looks a little wobbly from sculpting it. I'm sure you'll sort that out.
  • EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
    Yea you're absolutely right the axe blade is way too wobbly I'm going to have to redo it in max its too distorted with the dynamesh now. After I redo them I'm going to add all the scratches and damage details
  • EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
    Here is the Final Deadsplitter Axe I ended up changing the back blade a bit from the original design before making the final asset. Hope you guys like it

FinalZbrushAxe.jpg

AXESubmission.jpg