Author : dek

Old (#51)
concept is looking sexy as hell JFletch
Offline , triangle, 271 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Los Angeles, Ca,USA Send a message via Skype™ to XRevan23  

Old (#52)
Amaaaaaaaaaazing, defiantly following this one
Always open to advice/crit/tips and tricks
Offline , null, 19 Posts, Join Date Dec 2011, Location Brisbane Send a message via Skype™ to frohst  

Old (#53)
Nice work Fletch, big fan of your stuff. The symmetrical face idea you had is my favorite, lots of style in that piece. Also you would have greater texture resolution with it than the others, so that's a plus.
Senior Character Artist, Hi Rez Studios
http://benknapp.cghub.com/
Offline , line, 53 Posts, Join Date Feb 2006, Location Alpharetta GA Send a message via AIM to Weapon_X Send a message via MSN to Weapon_X  

Old (#54)
I like the simetrical one.Really great design.
Offline , spline, 130 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location Bulgaria Sofia  

Old (#55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
Thanks, yeah, three sided could look quite cool. I'm also slightly concerned that it looks more ornamental than a purpose built weapon, which I can't stop thinking about now.. Will do some more to it later.

maybe if you rotated the top skulls a tiny bit so the beaks were at a more aggressive angle it would look more menacing than ornamental?
"The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in thier art. Forge their creativity closer to the heart YEAH! Its closer to the heart!"

Vageta whats your scouter read about this model?

ITS OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,575 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Brighton, UK Send a message via Skype™ to woogity  

Old (#56)
So after almost forfeiting I gave this another shot..

w.i.p

its 5am...yey for self control.

Well it appears this is going somewhere, although there is much to change. Ya don't see many crow temple Hammers.

Last edited by JFletcher; 03-16-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Character Artist - Splash Damage
Portfolio
Offline , polycounter, 1,176 Posts, Join Date Mar 2007, Location London, UK Send a message via MSN to JFletcher  

Old (#57)
Yay for crow temple! I love the crow temple theme, and yeah, sadly there aren't too many of them out there. This is awesome! Your design is very solid. I'd swing that hammer around like nobody's business! One thing though, and maybe this is just something that's solved once it gets into 3d. But at first read, it appeared as an axe rather than a hammer. I think it's because the bottom tips of the wings give it a sharper silhouette. Again, it could be something that's easily solved when you're able to view the thickness in 3d. I love this design though, very bold features. This thing will pop in 3d, can't wait! Well done!
Offline , spline, 193 Posts, Join Date Oct 2009,  

Old (#58)
fkn make this shit !
Offline , polygon, 689 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009,  

Old (#59)
Success! Make it nao!
If you aren't failing you aren't learning.

Portfolio: http://www.shermanCG.com

Digital Matte Artist @ Bungie

FOLLOW MY INDIE GAME https://www.facebook.com/gaemoria
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,534 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Seattle, WA  

Old (#60)
I gree, the crow temple theme is cool, i like this concept, it`ll look very sexy in 3D
Offline , line, 88 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012,  

Old (#61)
Don't give up man. The latest one rocks the socks. Model it!
Offline , polycounter, 1,294 Posts, Join Date Dec 2007,  

Old (#62)
Fletch you gotta finish this man! I feel your design looks excellent already, the only thing I can't read very well is how the depth works on the top part. Just do a blockout and start modeling already
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,783 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Stockholm, SE Send a message via MSN to Xoliul  

Old (#63)
Thanks guys, yeah I agree about the top not reading well, I'll be sorting that out later today and cleaning up a lot in general and creating a quick blockout.
Portfolio
Offline , polycounter, 1,176 Posts, Join Date Mar 2007, Location London, UK Send a message via MSN to JFletcher  

Old (#64)
Wow man, this design is super strong. So many subtleties using the crow theme, I love it. I'm sure once you get your blockout in 3D it'll sort itself out. Now hurry and get modeling before it's too late!
"The artist formerly known as suburbbum"
Max's Recycle Bin
Sketchbook
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,317 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009, Send a message via Skype™ to Daven  

Old (#65)
So glad you are back in dude, looks really nice
Reads as an axe to me atm tho, maybe because of the curved outer edges?

looking forward to the block out, hopefully fixes the axe feel in 3d
Offline , triangle, 494 Posts, Join Date Jun 2007,  

Old (#66)
Thanks, here's an update

almsot there, I have yet to really do something with the hilt and clean up the area around the skull.

Also not very happy with the main crow head in the middle but this is something I'll sort out in the blockout. will start the blockout tomorrow after finishing this.

Last edited by JFletcher; 03-16-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Portfolio

Old (#67)
Awesome job! That is one kick ass concept you got there, cant wait to see how you translate it to 3d.
Offline , vertex, 39 Posts, Join Date Mar 2007, Location Miami, Fl.  

Old (#68)
Hey Jfletcher! Great concept so far.

I'm liking all of the elements you have going on so far, but I feel like you can push your design a bit further to unify the weapon as a whole. Particularly in the way you have done the metal work on the bottom versus the metal designs on top.

Try bringing some of your design hits from the top towards the bottom part of your weapon. Specifically the blue metal trims and possibly the bolts.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing how this comes out in 3d.
Offline , triangle, 347 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Irvine, California  

Old (#69)
OOOO, Super Sexy! Loving the colors.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,009 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#70)
SO badaasss!
Offline , line, 56 Posts, Join Date Sep 2010,  

Old (#71)
Loving that crow hammer You planning on using an emissive glow for the eyes? A light shade of blue or possibly near-white might suit it

This is my fav so far out of the bunch
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,551 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location Norway Send a message via MSN to Skamberin  

Old (#72)
@JFletcher:

"Also not very happy with the main crow head in the middle"

Really? Because it looks pretty baddass from where I'm sitting. As long as the middle crow stays within the space created by the extruded hammer heads it will retain all the strength you have in your concept.
Offline , triangle, 272 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011,  

Old (#73)
Really nice concept, however it comes off more as an axe than a hammer I think. Maybe it would work as a 3d model, but from the side view my first thought was axe.
Offline , triangle, 324 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012,  

Old (#74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyptic View Post
Really nice concept, however it comes off more as an axe than a hammer I think. Maybe it would work as a 3d model, but from the side view my first thought was axe.
I actually think that if the two heads we can see from a side profile were made to look like detailed blades this could be one mean ass axe, although I think it's going to be a beautiful hammer.

I LOVE the crow in the center.
MathewO.co.uk
Environment Artist || Ubisoft Massive
Offline , polygon, 623 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location Malmo, Sweden Send a message via Skype™ to Mathew O  

Old (#75)
<3
Offline , polycounter, 897 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009,