Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FF Tactics A2 Viera Elementalist

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Skyerzz polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone, I been wanting to do fan art for this job class since August. I had to commute 2 hours to get to work and Tactics A2 kept me entertained. I always thought that the Viera race were cool and my elementalist was a key member of my party. Now that I know how to model characters and my portfolio is at a presentable state I decided its time for me to have some fun, (while still adding to my folio).

Here is a sample of the reference I've collected. The top left is the design of the Elementalist class and the style I'm going for is the more along the lines of the bottom left (FF12). I`m having a hard time choosing which style of top is the most interesting/would look the best. Can you help my choose please :D

A2vieraelemntalist.jpg

I'm currently blocking in the anatomy and will post it in bit, to get a second opinion on it.

Later Dayz

Replies

• Skyerzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On Wednesday I found out how much Zbrush hates me. I was saving because I was ready to post the body work I had completed and during the save it crashed. So the file is corrupted and for some reason an older save file isn't work either, Which really upset me. So many hours wasted.

Anyway I've managed to do it all again, only faster and actually better than my first attempt. It feels so weird to do the figure of a Viera. My eyes are saying dude that's not right, people aren't built like that but that's how they are, with their super long arms and so on.

Viera_elementalist%2Bturn.jpg

I still gotta add the finger nails but I have yet to decided if I'm gonna follow the design and cover them with that white material. I want to redesign because I've seen a number of cosplayers do their own take and well... I have artistic license.
  • Skyerzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to go with the wrap bikini style from reference D. I saw that this one cosplayer decided to make the character more tribal so I'm going try and infuse some of that essence as well.

Concepting001.jpg
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    wow, firstoff, long fingers are long, also, she looks to bulky for the concept and it looks like you skulpted on high poly. your supposed to build up form from lower subdivisions.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    It's a very good start, be mindful of porportions. Her arms are a tad long, especially her bicep. Depending on the way her clothing is, her breasts might benefit from being pulled together, as is the point of her attire. Her legs are much longer proportionally to her upper body, but that could be the style, just remember to follow through to the rest of the areas the same way (once again commenting to the arms, but also the sharing distance of the thigh and shin portions.)

Personally, I think you've done a good job. Some tweaks here and there possibly, but overall it reads as a female.

As what RJBonner is saying, some parts of the character look like they were sculpted straight from a higher subdiv. This is where a lot of waviness can occur, mainly when your defining the larger forms. In either case, the clothing has this going on the most, but some defining lines for the anatomy have this as well.

Also, there's a random bugle in her right arm.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty much echoing what the above posters said, albeit with a bit more tact (im looking at you RJBonner). You definitely need to start off at a lower subdivision and work on the larger forms there. Once you have taken the sculpt as far as you can at a lower subdivision, you then progress onto the next level.

Its not a bad start, you just need to slow down a bit on the subdividing.

Good luck mate.