Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - (UDK) Old Brick Warehouse

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
Time to start the 2012 project! Well one of them at least. I was looking through my portfolio and figured I should do a building asset that is built with a ton of tileable bits and pieces. I'm hoping this will be a huge learning experience for me since I haven't had to build to many things that are tileable or modular in the past. I've got a bit of the work started.

Here is my ref sheet.

RefComp.jpg

And some WIP shots.

wip_wrhs01.jpg

wip_wrhs02.jpg

So far I've taken some bricks I found at cgtextures and applied the material tutorial from Philip K. Now that I've done that I'll make my own brick material and apply what I learned there, once I get some time.

I've also got the first portion of the windows done with a simple WIP texture. The lower windows will eventually have shudders of some sort.

The next thing I want to wrap up is the I-Beam asset set and tweak the 2 main wall pieces I have to make sure everything fits. Once that's done I'll wrap up the walls with some extra concrete materials the move on to either the roof or the front of the building.

Replies

• Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    The bricks need some variation in color, right now they all look the same. Also the bricks at the bottom appear rounded as the go around the bevel. Oh and at the very top of the wall there seems to be some texture issue.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kiser - thanks for the feedback, I'm going to totally add some color variation into the bricks, right now they're too uniform. I'll also be making some concrete textures for the bottom of the brick pillar and the base of the brick walls.

As for new stuff I got my I-beam tileset done and ready to go. Besides a pretty obvious omission on my part, circled below. I'm pretty happy with them.

wip_wrhs03.jpg

I know I beams are not usually that bright, but I wanted to sort of make them a bit more vibrant atm. I'm sure once everything is in there and I start to get some color balancing done I'll tweak them. Next thing on my list is either the main concrete floor or the hard wood floor that would be on the second level
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't have a whole lot of time to work on this last night but I did adjust the I-Beam pillars so the seam wasn't in the center and I've tweaked the large brick walls so they have their concrete bases.

wip_wrhs04.jpg

The concrete still needs a lot of tweaking, but I've got it basically in there and unwrapped properly so it's just material tweaks at this point. Next thing on the plate should be the second floor I'm thinking, then either pipes or the window shutters.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking pretty solid :)

Although, I'd suggest doing a simple block-out or quick and dirty concept to plan now what you want to do, before you go any further.
    Find how you want your lighting to look and where you want your focus of the scene to be :)
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have sort of a block out in max, but yeah, my next move is to get sort of the whole scene blocked out in udk and start creating all of the temp assets that will eventually get replaced. Hopefully I'll get some time this week to get that done!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress has been a bit slow on this, but I'm hoping to have my warehouse tileset done by the end of the march-ish.

I spent some time getting a start on the floor materials and getting the lamps done. I think I'm going to add a off state to the lamp and some light beams when it's on.

Next on my list well be getting the second floor materials done after finishing up the concrete.

wip_wrhs06.jpg
    wip_wrhs_prp_02.jpg
    wip_wrhs_prp_03.jpg