Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Sci-Fi Cathedral WIP

Okay my first post, don't mess this one up...

Hey! So I had this idea of making my own interieur scene with a kind of sci-fi cathedral. The whole thing will (hopefully) be handpainted and brought into UDK.

To lose a few words about me. As I'm noticed and also indicated through my post-count, I'm new here. I'm also 'fairly' new to the scene, meaning I don't have a huge lot of working experience. Actually it's about half a year in a 3 man company and it wasn't that great. I mean it was no challenge whatsoever and I realy didn't improve on anything in my time there, sadly.
But onwards to greater news!

I want to boost up my portfolio with this projecte that's why I'll try as hard as I can to finish this. It'll probably kill me because I can imagine that this will be a huge thing to do. And actually that's why I'm here. To grab every little piece of information, critics, helps and tips that I can get from you.
In return I hope to give somethine back to newer artists once I've got anything to share.

So I haven't that much already. I'm officially starting this project with this thread. My biggest problem so far is the workflow. I don't want to mess this up from the start so I hope to get any help here. I'm also currently gathering some reference pics to help me out. Mostly I've got some great shots from the inside of the 'Cologne Cathedral' from germany (gamescom visitors might have seen this one), because it fits the style I'm aiming for and it's kind of the obvious choise for me since I'm from germany too. But yeah I need alot more of references especially for the sci-fi feel I want to get into it and that's where I'm struggling a bit. I realy don't even know what would fit into a cathedral to give it this feeling.

I guess the next step after that would be a rough block-out, but any tips from the more experienced guys would be great though.

Well I'll leave you with this huge bunch of text for now and hope to get a great project and a lot of experience from this.

PS: I'm sorry for any bad grammar or typos.

Edit:
I mashed some of the references together to give you guys a quick Idea on what to expect. Still lacking a bit of the sci-fi feeling though.
refmashup.jpg

Newest pic:
cathedralwip09.jpg

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The general rule is to have something to show before posting ^^ People generally skip wall-of-text posts. Either some concepts, or awesome planning like sltrOlsson's latest thread.

Advice:
    - Be sure to gather lots of reference
    - Plan your textures and try to be efficient a modular workflow
    - Look at lots of other people creating churches and the like in 3D, got a bunch of them here.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks for taking the time to read it then.
    I took a look at sltrOlsson's thread and I have to admit that I don't feel confident enough to fletch out this kind of planning.

But I added a quick mashup of the references that struck me the most so far, seems that this is also a valid way of getting things started. :P

Thanks for the advices, I'll obviously look at all threads that I can find to grap all the informations I could use for this.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man! A project like this can be daunting for sure.. but don't be afraid to mash together a bunch of placeholder geometry. What you're looking for in the beginning is just how basic shapes flow together and if you're getting the right feeling from your scene. Worry about the art first, then you can clean up your models as you finalize each section. Sometimes its best to just dive in. Learn as you go and make adjustments to your workflow as you can.

Can't wait to see this develop. I love those references.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooookay here's an update. Yes I know I'm slow. :/

I was thinking to make it modular, I guess that's a good way to go since it's such a big scene and many parts can be used multiple times?
    I also alinged everything to a grid so it'll be easy to place it exactly like it once I get to UDK. Problem with that is, since I'm familiar with the metric system and UDK isn't. So it's converting from meters to feet to the UDK system. Maybe I'm trying too hard, but it seems like a good Idea, atleast for the overall size it was a good thing, since then I realy didn't do it.

So here's the thing:
    cathedralwip01.jpg
    I colored the modular parts indivitually, the 'parent' is always in a darker color and all the instances are the lighter versions. The little red guy is your typical UDK character with his 1,8 meters (6 feet) in hight.
    It's just the first block-in, but it already gives a fairly good sense of the scale I guess.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man I started a project like this once but really I lacked the knowledge to complete it! Anyway your modular peices are looking good, just to give you an idea here was how I did the modular thing

modular-1.jpg

Also I would get this into UDK as quickly as possible. It will give you a better sense of scale and you can block in some lighitng then as well!

Also I don't know if you are using Maya but here is a good tut on matching your units from Maya to UDK!

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/udk/udk-maya-how-to-set-up-grid-in-maya-to-match-udk.php

Good Luck man I hope you get further than me!
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SaferDan, as I said, I already set it up so that I have a 1:1 scale from max to UDK, but thanks anyway. Oh and as just mentioned I'm using 3ds max, but I'll take a look and see if I can get any usefull informations out of that tutorial anyway so thanks again for that! :)

EDIT:the problem I had has been solved as it seems.

Btw here's how it looks in UDK as a scene:
    cathedralwip02.jpg
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stylish so far man! 1:1 scale is a huge thing. I never really though about it until I started working in the industry. figured you can always scale anything at any time so it's not a big deal.. turns out it can waste a ton of time if you don't start at 1:1 scale(matching your game's engine). :D Looking forward to seeing this come together.

I've got some early stage workflow ideas for ya that have helped me in the past. Don't know if these suggestions will work for you (or maybe you've already thought of them) but maybe they'll help...

If your comfortable with 2d in photoshop I find that paint overs of 3d renders can be a very fast way of developing the concept for your scene. I find myself doing this quite often.

If you don't like 2d then another fast way of "sketching" your ideas out is taking the block in meshes directly to zbrush(especially now with dynamesh) or mudbox. Subdivide and play with shapes. Even if your end result will be hard surface it doesn't matter at the early stage if it's sort of wobbly and bubbly as long as the general shape is there for reference.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pfew, done for today...

Okay the highes point seems to be reached. 7 unique objects so far!
    cathedralwip03.jpg

@artquest Haha yeah I've heard a bit about instancing models and how it can help with performance and I've seen quite a few people here doing stuff with modular pieces, so I thought I'd start with that quickly. And to get everything right I searched a bit to get it 1:1 from max to UDK. Also I like this approach, because I just have to change I piece instead of all. :)
    For your other tips I have sadly admit that I'm not good at painting (but hopefully that will change, since I want to get this thing done with hand painted textures) and don't own a ZBrush license so far... But I'll keep that in mind for future reference, so thank you for that!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    where's the sci-fi? or are you going for WH40k's neo-medieval look?
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, yeah sorry no sci-fi so far. I'm thinking that the warhammer look is the one that would be fitting into a cathedral like that so that's what I'm aiming for, but for now I'm trying to get the rough environment down, and try to add up after that.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seirei wrote: »
    Pfew, done for today...

Okay the highes point seems to be reached. 7 unique objects so far!
    cathedralwip03.jpg

@artquest Haha yeah I've heard a bit about instancing models and how it can help with performance and I've seen quite a few people here doing stuff with modular pieces, so I thought I'd start with that quickly. And to get everything right I searched a bit to get it 1:1 from max to UDK. Also I like this approach, because I just have to change I piece instead of all. :)
    For your other tips I have sadly admit that I'm not good at painting (but hopefully that will change, since I want to get this thing done with hand painted textures) and don't own a ZBrush license so far... But I'll keep that in mind for future reference, so thank you for that!

I think sculptris is still free and will give you everything you need to play around with shapes and forms.

I'm really digging the shapes you've got going on man.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @artquest Hm I won't promise anything, but I'll give it a try, thanks.

Okay I'm done for today, have some updates:
    cathedralwip0401.jpg
    cathedralwip0403.jpg
    cathedralwip0404.jpg
    cathedralwip0402.jpg

Just the entrance and the Sides are left and then it's atleast fully closed.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pfew, one weekend without posting and you're on page 8. This forum moves fast.

Had a pretty lazy weekend, so the update isn't the biggest. Also I think I'm going for a fully fletched warhammer style, I kinda like the new changes pretty much. Thoughts?

cathedralwip0501.jpg
    cathedralwip0502.jpg

Also Lord High Marshal Biped:
    cathedralwip0503.jpg
  • Loqq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a huge Warhammer 40k fan (and proud son of Russ) I have to ask, will this be a temple dedicated to the emperor or to one of the space marine chapters? If you decide to go with a chapter theme, I know the Ultra-marines are popular but might I suggest another chapter? http://www.ironhands.com/chapters.htm is a great resource and will also tell you the chapters primary colors as well as their chapter symbol.
  • Mooglesarelittle
    Wow it looks like you have the scale pretty much nailed. Looking forward to watching this progress.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Loqq, to be honest it started out to be just sci-fi and I wanted to mix in something that gives a Warhammer feel to it. But in the current state of my skills I feel more comfortable to make something I could get direct references to so I decided to go full Warhammer, therefore I realy haven't a real purpose to this thing.
    But I have to say, I like the idea, giving it a sense was in my mind but I hadn't a straigt goal, so I'll probably go for that now, thank you for that!
    Also my knowledge of the Warhammer universe isn't probably the best, but I always liked the Blood Angels, so I'll make this to a cathedral dedicated to their primarch Sanguinius. :)

@Mooglesarelittle Haha thanks! Walking through this thing gives me the feel I got it a little bit too small compaired to the 360° pictures I've seen, considering that I took the cologne cathedral as main reference I had atleast the length, width and highth the rest is done by guessing. ^^
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Cologne cathedral eh (the "Dom")? Less WH40k, moar goat.

200px-Cologne.png

(sorry, that wasn't in the least bit helpful)
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hells yes, Warhammer 40k enviorment art :D
    Moore Warhammer, less Goats!
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I throw a little update into it. :)

I worked a bit on the Pillars:
    cathedralwip0601.jpg

Also I started a servo-skull, he's heavily WIP atm but I already like him. :P
    servoskullwip01.jpg
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I finished the servo-skull. All that's left is some tweaking to reduce the 2.093 triangles. Heaven't cleaned it up yet.
    Thoughts, critics & ideas are welcome! :)
    servoskullwip02.jpg

Sorry for the doublepost, I hope the more frequent updates are okay. :/
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who cares bout double posting as long as you have something new to show eh? :P

I usually don't see a lot of War Hammer environment stuff so I'm really looking forward to this one. :D I really love the shot of looking down the hallway. It looks SO huge. Makes you feel super tiny and insignificant. As a War Hammer cathedral should!

Have you given any thought to the final presentation images?
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @artquest, I was looking in the abyss of the forum to find my thread again and there I missed that you bumped it yesterday... :P
    Thanks for the kind words, even I was surprised on how big this turned out to be, I just hope the modular parts won't look to repetetive in the end.
    As for the final shots I'm not entirely sure yet, but one thing's sure, I wont get all the cool stuff in one shot. :/

Okay update time.
    Sadly I haven't gotten too much done the last days. Mainly thinking about what I could add to make it look less empty and reading alot about the Warhammer 40k lore. ^^
    So here's what I've got, a banner, a few purity seals and a torch got get sime light in there. I made a crappy 5 minute paintover to get the idea of the torch delivered and it would be nice to hear some thoughts about that. I mainly want to know the idea with the shadowing makes sense or not, but if it does, how would I get it to work like that? Messed the whole day in UDK to get something like that, but nothing worked.
    Also I'm thinking about coloring the stones in the texture red and giving a nice contrast with these teal torches. Good or bad idea?
    cathedralwip07.jpg
    And yes I kinda got inspired by Dead Space here. ^^'
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Looking cool man!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Love where this is going! Can't wait to see this textured! =D
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a little bit more detail on the pillars and the bows above them wich hopefully don't look too edgy. I'm calling the modeling on these two parts done, except someone has something to say against that.
    cathedralwip08.jpg

Comments and crits are always nice to see! :)
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so this is just a small update for 5 days, but I had to get into drawing, wich isn't my best discipline. :)
    This is my first attempt at hand painted textures ever, so don't expect too much. Any advice & critics would be realy great though.
    cathedralwip09.jpg
    I'm not sure if I'll keep it on the pillars, but I like the look of it on the bow pieces.
    Okay back to fill in the white parts! ^^
  • ivan3dguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey- i like everything so far. my first advice on the bricks texture is the that red color you chose is a little extreme.. I would go with grays and browns for bricks but thats just my opinion
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivan3dguy wrote: »
    hey- i like everything so far. my first advice on the bricks texture is the that red color you chose is a little extreme.. I would go with grays and browns for bricks but thats just my opinion

Since this is a cathedral for the Blood Angel chapter from the Space Marines in Warhammer 40k, I thought it would be nice to get a red color scheme down.
    And to be honest I kinda like it, and if it looks weird when everything is done then it shouldn't be a problem to quickly change the color. :)
    Maybe it helps if I desaturate it a bit, we'll see.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    I also like the red, and like you said, you can always tone it down or swap it out if it just doesn't work.

This got me reading Blood Angel stuff, and holy crap you could do a ton of cool stuff to throw in blood angel history/lore. The possibilities..:poly142:

Watching this one with excitement for sure!
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    Since its for the Blood Angels wouldn't a base brick colour come across better with banners/signs of the chapter in the building?

It may give the colour more pop if its used in a controled way.

But yeah, whole thing looks boss mind XD
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rageleet polycounter lvl 6
    Hey this is looking really nice!, im a big fan of warhammer 40k cant wait to see it finished!

i was just wondering how hard was it to paint the bricks? they look really good for hand done, i usually take mine into zbrush and sculpt them then bake the maps ,but i dont really have enough time to do that for my current project :D