Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Hammerite Guard

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
CURRENT WIP:
mAJUB.jpg

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Over the past few months I've been tooling around with redesigning a character from one of the Thief games since they all have such crap graphics. I've posted a couple of images in the WAYWO thread over the past few days, but I didn't want to get spammy. So, with that in mind:

rb96U.jpg

P53gr.jpg

zSvUG.jpg

This is still heavily WIP. I haven't done any sculpting except on the head, which was actually a model I'd been working on before.

I'm aiming for current-gen hero character specs, so around 10k tris once everything's said and done. The plan is to use a 2048 for the body and a 1024 for the head since I want to get some of that crunchy stubbly detail in there. I'm aware that his limbs are kind of crazy-thin, so I'm going to beef them out a little.

Moar updates soonish. Crits are welcome, though keep in mind I haven't done any sculpting and he's still missing some pieces.

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Oh this is going to be beautiful
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking very nice so far.
    I'll be following this :)
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Looking awesome! I've been playing through Thief: Deadly Shadows recently, so this is kind of exciting.

I think one thing to keep in mind is that since he's a Hammerite, he's gonna be pretty buff. Getting some good muscle definition in there could go a long way. I like how the face is looking so far. Do you have any ideas for the hammer design yet?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    very nice so far. I'm looking forward to this.

- BoBo
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I love you for this, Swizzle. I love you.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Feet feel a little small, but that's all I can find that I don't like.

I love the detail and straps on the greaves. This guy looks like he'll turn out sweet in the end man.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys!

Base:
    I'm definitely going to beef up his arms and legs a bit. They're definitely pretty wimpy right now, so more meat is incoming.

I do have a hammer design in mind, but it's not going to be like the sledgehammers they have in the games. I want to give him a more realistic war hammer with a blunt striking surface on one end of the head and a spike on the other. I'd also like to have the Hammerite version of a rosary (which I'm just completely pulling out of my ass) tied around it for some interest, but I dunno if I'm going to actually do that.

Norron:
    Yeah, the feet are definitely looking a bit small. I'm going to make 'em a little larger before I get to sculpting.

It's refreshing coming home to work on something high-poly after painting textures for pretty low-poly stuff at work all day. Still, I haven't gotten much done since yesterday, mostly just adding some hands and gauntlets.

The plan right now is to start sculpting and mucking about with proportional issues tomorrow. I'd like to have the sculpt done by the end of next week, I think.

Anyway, too much text, not enough pictures.

hN3QF.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Loving that Swizzle. Not entirely sure about the military hammer idea. the entire theology of the Hammerites is based around the fact that they're keeping the construct of mankind of man kind together and building new... stuff to move it forward for their deity the Builder. Something like that, anyway. It's been quite a while since I've played the game.

With that in mind maybe giving your Hammerite a weapon as opposed to a hammer that can be used for both construction and destruction might not fit entirely happily with the Thief background. Then again, I guess a hammer is a hammer, but it's something to at least consider when you're designing it.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turista:
    You would be too if you were an old dude who had to lug a hammer around all day.

Jackablade:
    You make a good point and I've definitely considered simply giving him something like a sledgehammer because it fits in better with existing Thief tropes, but I'm still leaning towards an actual war hammer. This guy's supposed to be somebody who patrols and takes care of intruders or fights enemies of the faith, so I think it would be logical to have a more traditional war hammer. I'm certainly going to put some more style into it than just a big stick with a chunk of iron on the end, though.

Been pretty busy with work and trying to woo lovely ladies, so I've either been too busy or too tired to work on this for a bit. But anyway, I got a bit of sculpting done and I like the direction it's going. I still have a lot of sculpted detail I want to add, though, so don't think this is close to finished.

I still need to scale up those feet. Hmm.

qhFLq.jpg
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Looking really great, I can't wait to see more!
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    this is looking awesome man
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    It might just be his massive greaves but his feet look a touch small! Excellent work tho! :D
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    That is so cool dude
    How'd u crinkle up those firly fuckers?
  • Death Octimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Death Octimus polycounter lvl 9
    so reminds me of Alice in wonderland
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeesh. Seven months later and you'd think I would've finished this thing already. Oh well.

I've been trying to finish some stuff up before GDC rolls around, so I decided to come back to this and give it some love. I'm close enough to finished with the high-poly that I was able to start making the low. I still have some work to do before it's finished, but it's coming along pretty nicely.

It's at 16,155 tris at the moment, so there's a lot of fat that could be trimmed. That said, I'm going to aim a little higher than the polycount I stated in the first post.

IN450.jpg

bD22K.jpg
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sheesh man, took you long enough.

Looks like some good stuff, although I'd like to see a bit more light detailing on some of the armor.

Also the tights that are showing on the knees and lower legs, the folds seem kind of directionless. Not sure if the material would fold like that or not. Might be small enough to ignore though.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    He's looking pretty cool but honestly I don't understand the idea behind the sleeves and pants.

Aren't billowy clothes like that usually just pleated? Not additional straps over the top.

Just seems a little foofy/jestery for a Hammer imo.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    preeety cool you revived this thing! i was wondering where it went.
  • Justin Perreault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Perreault polycounter lvl 7
    This is a cool character. I love the contrast of his old stylized weathered face to the nice stream lined costume. It doesn't look weird to the eyes it flows nicely. I dig.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Isnt the cog wheel the symbol of the mechanist splinter of the faith? Dont get me wrong it makes for an awesome buckle, but I thought they had been scattered as heretics after Karras self-martyred.

As a forward movement for the universe it's a pretty great idea though, merging the forward thinking of the mechanists with the temperance of the hammers.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Cool progress, get some texture on that guy : )
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Perreault, Baj Singh:
    Thanks!

Norron:
    The plan is to give him some edge highlights and accents in the vein of this image, so he's certainly going to be a bit more detailed as I progress. That's all Photoshop work, though.
    As for the folds, I wanted it to look like bunched up, wrinkled, slightly loose tights. I may have to go back and resculpt that area.

Baddcog:
    I saw this image when researching period clothing and decided to run with the idea of having strips of cloth with a second layer underneath. They're not exactly accurate or necessarily even practical or entirely grounded in reality, but they're poofy and fun and I enjoy them.

Stinkhorse:
    I honestly hadn't put that much thought into it. I've played through good portions of the Thief games, but I never paid a lot of attention to the lore. I was more concerned with just sneaking about and not dying all the damn time. I just figured they were interesting design elements that I'd like to use.

Alberto Rdrgz:
    Life got in the way. In the intervening months, I've gotten a job, apartment, girlfriend, car and various other obligations. But now I'm back just in time to finish this for GDC!

Been pretty busy, so progress has been kind of slow. I've spent the past couple of days setting up and working on baking textures. UV mapping was a huge bitch because of all those little bits on the insides of his sleeves, but I managed to not fail spectacularly, so yay!

I'm breaking him up into a few chunks so I can swap out things like heads, headgear and weapons. That'll let me have options beyond a hammer for this guy. I may also sculpt an alternate head and possibly make some sort of helmet or hat, depending upon what kind of time I have.

The head's using a 1024 and the body's using a 2048. Other accessories like the hat and hammer will use smaller textures. I still need to finish baking the hands and feet, but I think it's coming along quite nicely.

DFo11.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a little concerned by the way you said all this great stuff happened, but now you're back...

The bake is looking really good so far so not much else to say.
    I love that you're planning for swapy-bits.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScudzAlmighty:
    I didn't mean to imply that I'd somehow lost all those things. I just meant that I now have the time and motivation to get this done.

Anyway, I'm finished baking shits. On to actual texturing!

K13Ip.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Nice, bake came out really great. Needs moar colour :P.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I hate you :P

Looks sick!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Really interesting design.

Looking forward to the texture. Feels very renaissance-y.
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    such a great model, love the sleeves, pants and the face
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    looking great man, but why not make the strips planes?
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Aah, this is such a nice looking model, got a lot of style.

Almost reminds me of a knight of the blazing sun from warhammer fantasy.

beautiful work. looking forward to the textures.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somehow when I look at this character all I can think of is 'Don Quixote'. I realy could see him jumping on a horse, grabbing his lance and raid some windmills. :D
    Stunning quality and style here!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, everybody!

STRIKER:
    While it would've saved a pretty significant number of tris, I decided to give them actual thickness because it simply looks better this way. Since they're not planes, I don't run into the problem where they disappear from certain angles. They have weight and feel chunky. I like that.

Teensy little update. Started on the textures:

iBgWm.jpg
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty fly dude. I'm sure you can finish this by the end of the month easy.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    lovin that swizzle :D cant wait for it to be finished
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Swiz, this is looking so cool man. Couldn't agree more about using the extra tri's on the cloth. It adds so much weight. I would have been terribly sad to see it single strips.
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    like it!! good to have thickness for them, I will be looking forward to seeing it!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys! Glad you like it!

A little update on the head texture. Painting skin is, as always, a huge pain in the ass, but also ever-so rewarding.

421vV.jpg
  • matt luxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matt luxton polycounter lvl 12
    looks soo good
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, matt.

Been trying to give him a more unified color palette and richer skin tones. I changed the gold to silver and did a bunch of tweaks to his facial texture. It's tough getting just the right amount of noise and surface detail in the facial textures, but I think the time I'm spending is paying off.

UBbB7.jpg

uaiLV.jpg

Any crits or comments are welcome. This is a portfolio piece, so I'm not just trying to make it some vanity project where I don't listen to feedback or something. A classic Polycount-style asshole ripping is more than welcome.

Here are some issues I'm aware of that I'm certain to address in the near future, so they probably don't warrant commenting on since they'll change anyway:

- Spec needs a bunch of work across the board, but especially on the leather. I'm only using a temporary spec and gloss map, so I'll be adjusting it further.

- A hat and/or helmet is forthcoming, so don't worry that his head is a bit bare at the moment.

- There are some gnarly seams in a lot of places, most obvious on his gloves. Those are just a UV padding issue and will be gone.

Here's some stuff I'm looking for as far as crits or comments are concerned:

- Color palette. It's a little more unified and less haphazard than before, but only because I'm using a narrower range of colors. Any suggestions about tweaks I could make would be welcome.

- Armor detail. Any suggestions about details I could add, whether ornamental or utilitarian would be great. Thoughts?

- The skin texture. Thoughts, suggestions, paintovers? Does it actually look like skin? Is there something I'm missing that I should add or take away? I'm probably going to add more liver spots and accent the wrinkles with some color, but I can't think of what else to do, if anything.

- The cloth strips. I have a couple of ideas for interesting detail I could add there, but I'm very much open to suggestions.

Anything else you can think of to tear this fucker apart would be awesome. Got some great reference images? Some advice from working with similar stuff? Hints, tips, tricks? Drop some knowledge on me, yo.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really awesome style, can't wait to see it completely finished.

Feel bad for not leaving you with a crit, but nothing you didnt cover in your notes jumped in my eye. Maybe save for the segmentation over the leather straps on the calves armour, but that is only really visible on the zoomed pic.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Hey swizzle you probably have already seen these but

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?77667-My-work-from-Assassin-s-creed-2-)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?97394-Assassin-s-Creed-Brotherhood-Characters

Your's seems to be a little more stylized so I would possibly brighten up the edges of the cloth, giving them nice highlights to really pop out the shapes. And I am sure you will do some nice color variation as well :). Anyway I hope this was of some use to you.

edit: found his website, its a lot easier to view the details

http://nicolascollings.com/?page_id=38
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin' really good so far! I actually liked the gold as an accent, so maybe adding that back in a little would help add some interest for you. Skin looks good as well, though a bit of cooler hues in there might make it a bit more real feeling. Just some thoughts.

Nice work!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey swizzle,

Looks pretty good, there's only a few things that I would change,
    for me the big one is the face, in the sculpt he looks pretty old, maybe pushing 60, but texture makes him look about 40. I've added some more colour variation; some blue/purple under the eye's, lighter highlights (with some white in the eyebrows/beard), some splotches on his cheeks and a much higher hair line.
    the clothes are about the same, just added a dark gold trim and a deeper red to the arms and legs.
    Also widened the belt. this is just personal it kinda looks like its made of paper how you have it.
    Once you put that... erm... chest belt(?) back it should take care of any lack of armor detail.

UBbB7copy.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I'm liking the color palette a little more now, I like the gold trim Scudz suggested. I would try to lighten up the cloth on the inside of the strips because I can barely see the sweet cloth folds you sculpted. Maybe a navy blue or something?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    If you look at the original Hammers, they've got red accents on their armour. Perhaps you could bring some in to make 'im a bit more reminiscent of the old ones?

DromEd_Object_Model_hamsol01_%26_hamsol02.jpg
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    wow looks amazing! I love the style of the face. Very realistic but still very stylistic. kick ass man.
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Very beautiful and solid work Swizzle.

I think you can bulk a bit the legs, from the knees to the bottom (even already baked).
    And play more with the color scheme for the uniform. here goes a reference that might be useful; http://tinyurl.com/7ts4bbz
    That's my 2 cents!
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    Man, this is turning out great! I also like how you laid out your request for feedback, I'll have to try that.
    A couple of things I came up with: I like saying small eyes for the win cuz' nine times out of ten, when you try going with smaller eyes you just can't go back. That might also help his head from feeling disproportionately narrow.
    The other thing was, currently your armor dents are kind of conspicuous. Maybe add a little more so the eye doesn't keep jumping to those little circles. Although, as someone mentioned, when you put the chest strip back it may be less of an issue.
    Anyway, pretty minor stuff for an already awesome piece. I look forward to the final!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob:
    Unfortunately there's not a lot I can do about visible polygons in that area aside from giving it a ton of excess detail.

POFFINGTON:
    I'd actually been looking at some of those as reference before you even posted them, but it's nice to have all of them in one place. I'd just seen a few on CGHub. I'm almost certainly going to brighten up the cloth folds a bit to make them pop more.

JMYoung:
    You were right about the cooler tones in the skin. I added a touch of blue and purple and it made it worlds better.

ScudzAlmighty:
    This was a super useful post and it gave me a ton of ideas to play around with. Thanks so much!

Sukotto:
    Bam, navy blue. I don't know if I like it yet, but it seems to be growing on me.

Marshal Banana:
    Excellent suggestion! Done!

artquest:
    Thanks!

cox:
    I think you're right about the legs. I need to just bulk them up a touch. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll have that done by the next update.

Sputch:
    I definitely need to add a bit more variation to the armor to make it look a bit worn and used. Once I've added more scratches and stuff, the dents should be less conspicuous.

This isn't a huge update, but I've spent a bunch of time playing around with different patterns and color schemes and whatnot to try and find one that doesn't look either overly plain or overly cheerful and jester-like. I think I've found a decent middle ground, though I still need to add some finer detail and light color variation. I'll most likely add some stuff like stitches and fine fabric patterns to the poofy bits.

I also did a bit more work on his face texture. I added some more cool tones and lightened his stubble and eyebrows. Hopefully he doesn't look quite as vibrant and young now.

Once again, any feedback is welcome.

ynV47.jpg

Loi60.jpg