Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

jramauri's 3d sculpting practice

JR
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JR polycounter lvl 15
Hello folks. After the Brawl, I decided to study and practice 3d a bit more. So, I'm sharing my studies with you Polycounters. I hope I can master this some day.

This is a monster of rock I started some days ago.

Monsters_01.jpg

Monsters_02.jpg

Monsters_03.jpg

And this is my attempt to do a stylized old guy.

Caricature_01.jpg

Thanks for visiting!

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    hey cool stuff- there is a clarity and smoothness in your 2d that I personally think you are lacking in your 3d(i dont want to pigeon hole you, however)- maybe resist the temptation to go too detailed and concentrate on the medium to large details. Keep up the good work!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the tip, Dan! I usually don't go too high on my sculpts, because I really don't care about pores and wrinkles. Generaly, I stay around 100k, 200k polys in an complete figure. But maybe it should interesting make more low poly meshes on Maya, to preserve the clean aspect of my drawings. I'm gonna try it.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    well, good thing you're only 'trying', those 3d models look just terrible... NOT! they look freaking amazing, dude! But I'm not surprised on the very least because people who are good 2D artists usually do really well at 3D. Anyway congrats! Hope to see more!

*saves screenshots to concept art folder (for inspiration)*
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Brothers in arms! Kick ass sculpts man! I have yet to extensively tamper with sculpting, but you're kicking butt at it!

I'm finding my anatomy knowledge even more useful know when I do 3d as it really works you at it. Keep it up mate!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks dogzer and Allan-p!

Before I get back to the previous models, here's my 3d version of Sailor Moon concept by Dirk Erik Schulz, AKA Themrock. This guy is a monster at drawing.

http://cghub.com/images/view/63635/

It's not finished yet.
    Sailor_moon_01.jpg

Sailor_moon_02.jpg
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome sculpt. Would love to see that one get ingame.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks PHArt!

Some more work on the old guy.

Costinha_01.jpg

Costinha_02.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    that sailor moon thing is great, really wacky and true to the concept. I like that old guy too, nice stylization
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you, daphz. In fact, this guy is a caricature of Costinha. He was a very famous humorist here in Brazil. Died some years ago.

14_MVG_cult_costinha2.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Widen up his face some, especially his nose, his face is perfect for caricaturing (it's already caricatured :P)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you for the tip Andreas.

Not much time to practice this week. Anyway, there's a head.

Cartoon_01_1.jpg

Cartoon_01_2.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Too bad to receive comments? Or too regular that doesn't deserve crits or some love?
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since it's very stylized it's hard to comment on and give a critique.

The guy reminds me of Rick Astley. :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks PHArt. But in fact, I think it receives no comments because it's really bad... I can see it now.

Well, I've watched the trailer of new Conan's movie, and I felt not happy. That guy is NOT Conan! So, I decide to make my own rendition of him, to make him more justice :)

I want to push my strenghts and really learn with this one, so if you guys could give tips or comments, I'd be grateful.

Arnold_WIP_01.jpg

Arnold_WIP_02.jpg

Arnold_WIP_03.jpg

Arnold_WIP_04.jpg

Arnold_WIP_05.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    The idea, of course, is to make a caricature of the REAL Conan on the movies, Mr. Schwarzenegger. The funnier, the better. Problably I'll not make an animatable model, just studying modeling, texturing, lighting and rendering in Zbrush.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha thats great, nice work. You nailed the jaw and the neck along with most of the face, that's instantly recognizable.

Crits:
    It might help to emphasize the tightness of the headband by puffing out the hair/head above and below it?
    If you're going to animate it (sounds like you won't?), the teeth could be problematic, but not impossible (Kyle from Fanboi and Chum Chum makes it work), you could end up having to shrink the teeth when you close the lips otherwise its going to be pretty hard to make some of the needed mouth shapes. Typically when you do facial animation you want to start from a blank expressionless pose and animate the expressions in, instead of trying to fight one expression constantly.

As a sculpt its awesome!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Jramauri- your knockin this stuff out!- I think you definitely have a knack for caricature which will be very cool to see as your skill matures.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Mark: Thanks for the tips and comments, Mark. This Conan project I really don't have intention to animate. My intention is to make a 3d illustration and study modeling,texturing, lighting and rendering inside Zbrush. Anyway, for some next project envolving animation, your tips will be very useful :)

Dan: Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm trying to follow your advice and not detailing things too much. I believe this really fits much better with my drawing style.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    You definitely know what you're doing, great work!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks frell!

Unfortunatelly, I'm having little free time to work on this project :(
    But here's an up. Conan now is made of one single piece, what makes him easier to sculpt. I'm feeling that by now he's looking like a plastic toy. How can I make him more believable looking? I mean how can I make him looking more like a live creature?

Arnold_WIP_06.jpg

Arnold_WIP_07.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    He got those muscles as a slave and due to fighting, he looks a bit clean I think, like he just walked to the gym 5 days a week.

awesome style tho :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Rhoutermans. I'm using as reference Arnold pictures, and you know... he used to go to the gym 6 days a week at this time. :) My intention was to give Conan exactly this superstar look. The real Conan will never carry a silly grin on the face like mine. But I'll try to make him look more tough.

Here's a test I did, to learn a bit more about rendering. Sketch was done in Paintstop, modeling and rendering in Zbrush. No BPR, just best renderer, in Zbrush 3.1.

Mailson.jpg

Mailson_2.jpg

Mailson2.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Not a real update, but a more careful render test. Zbrush and Photoshop for comp.

Arnold_WIP_09.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is nice to see, love seeing stylized characters.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Can you guys give me some tips on how to make this render looks more realistic? I'm using passes.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    That stylized Conan is great!

Some anatomy fix suggestions:

-The front part of the deltoid is not inserting correctly under the deltoid, this also throws off how the pecs insert.
    -The lower back anatomy needs revision (latissimus dorsi).
    -Fix how the tricep inserts under the rear of the deltoid, (hint: currently it doesnt!).
    -Maybe shape the bicep more like a cylinder cut in half instead of balloon shaped (personal choice i guess...). There's a muscle between the biceps and triceps (brachialis) giving the impression the bicep is like a balloon when seen from the front.

check out Big guns' Arnie for some pointers:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40365

Sorry can't help much with realistic renders =/
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you, PsykO. I tried to fix the points you said. And now I think I finished this project. Modeled and rendered in Zbrush 3.1, using best renderer. Passes composed in Photoshop. Hair and fur retouched in PS too. I learned a lot with this one. Hope you guys like it.

Arnold_WIP_11.jpg

Arnold_WIP_12.jpg

Raw render:
    Arnold_WIP_raw.jpg

Arnold_final_BW.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Uh... I noticed that altough technically the last works are better, I receive almost none comments. What's the matter, the subject? The style? =/
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    try to make something controversial the simple solution therfore is to make naked females.
    then more people here will write stuff...
    (but to be honest some people on polycount are so afraid of naked figures and will write hatefull comments that I wonder why they are working in the art field in general)

the fur could need some more work it looks at the moment like a simple overpaint.

the anatomy is well described,I expecially dig the details on the hand.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    TNO wrote: »
    try to make something controversial the simple solution therfore is to make naked females.
    then more people here will write stuff...

Worst advice ever :)
    TNO wrote: »
    (but to be honest some people on polycount are so afraid of naked figures and will write hatefull comments that I wonder why they are working in the art field in general)

Are you smoking crack?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of caricatures, but it is technically a very well done asset :) Looking forward to seeing what your next project will be! :)
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    Nope I´m not smoking crack the three dots should be self explantory in this context of a simple solution.

I think it is always good to be able to build the different genders.
    not only different gender there are also different human types which could be mastered.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    jramauri wrote: »
    Uh... I noticed that altough technically the last works are better, I receive almost none comments. What's the matter, the subject? The style? =/

It's a bit difficult to give crits on stylized work i guess, each of us could take a different direction. The only other crits i can offer would be about making the gap between the front teeth wider and fix the anatomy of the tricep.

The heads of the tricep are not fused together all the way down, they're like a horseshoe
    http://www.deeptissue.com/learn/elbow/triceps.jpg

You did a great job fixing the anatomy i pointed out by the way :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, this is my attempt to do a likeness. Mr Denzel Washington.

Denzel_WIP_01.jpg

denzel-washington.jpg

Can you help me to improve this?
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    What's to improve? If I could model at this level I'd be celebrating! damn good work, friend. Sorry I couldn't crit you.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Good likeness to Denzel, the nose and mouth look too big to me. From what I've seen the mouth doesnt usualy extend beyond the pupil of the eye(but you have him smiling).

The side of the face also looks too flat.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the feedback, fellows :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hi guys. I started working on this guy, but at the moment, I feel that he's too rigid, like a doll, or a corpse. Some tips in how to make him more organic/alive looking? A paintover would be great...

Demonio2.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I think he's right hand/wrist seems a bit wierd, looks like it doesn't bend like it should.
    I am not character modeler so I can't provide the type of critic they can, but when I look at this, I think you need to do more on the rest of the body before atleast I can critic properly :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks, man. I made some small changes on the model.

Demonio3.jpg

Demonio4.jpg

Demonio5.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Although I'm no Character Artist either, it helps to know a bit about the subject before critiquing.
    Who is the character? What is his role and what is he supposed to be doing/feeling right now?
    Obviously I can make my own assumptions, but I just want to know what you are working towards.

Loved your Conan piece by the way :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Ahh sweet work, love them!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for your support, guys.
    SirCalalot: I almost always fail in giving a background for a char, before start. My girlfriend have already stressed this issue many times... I hope I can change my way of doing things soon. By now, I think he's just a demon in a powerful posture, like if was giving a command for his demons army.

Here's a master copy, because Alex Oliver is a master!
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?62748-Sketchbook-(6-16-10)-NEW***movies-added-pge-158-159-160&p=485419&viewfull=1#post485419

Alex_oliver_copy.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Another practice.

Gordo_01.jpg

Gordo2_raw.jpg

Gordo2_raw2.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Well I gotta say you're coming along with leaps and bounds.

As for your latest piece I would round of the shoulders a bit more in the side view. It seems to be a tad square...ish.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks, Di$array.

Well, I'm learning 3d more to apply on 3d concepts than to make fully animatable chars. So, here a practice in this direction. I haven't touched some parts yet, like his legs, but these pics give a good idea how the thing is developing.

gorilla_monster_01.jpg

gorilla_monster_02.jpg

gorilla_monster_03.jpg

gorilla_monster_04.jpg

gorilla_monster_05.jpg

gorilla_monster_06.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Very cool thread! You're VERY skilled, tough for a lot of us to crit, and then it's stylized enough that it's hard to pick out specific, concrete flaws.

Personally I would love to see you try your hand at significantly more intricate sculpting. I think with your fundamentals you should be trying to chase down artists like mrkite and b1ll
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you, SupRore. I really hope some day to reach the level of these guys. I'm a loong time fan of b1ll, he's a great inspiration to me. I think the best way to get there is keep practicing, so, here are some updates.

gorilla_render06.jpg

gorilla_render07.jpg

gorilla_render08.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15