Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painting practise - crits please!

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like you are working in orthographic view, you should work in perspective.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Definitely a huge leap forward. Main suggestion would be to make adjustments to the eyes, eyebrows, and lip shape. Lookin' good!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    heya guys,

@Xaltar, I switch between the two views, no idea why.. but i've been taking screenshots in ortho too :x so i'll do perspective ones instead now.

@Haiasi, Thanks man! Here's a new version, i've rounded out the shape of both the eye and the eyebrow and changed the bottom lip shape, hue and highlights a little, hopefully this is what you were thinking of.

robinprogress.jpg

And as a reference to progress.... here's the same SDK i attempted about 4 months ago ...haha...
    http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k535/gilesr/robinheadturnaround.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've reached the point where i'm not sure what else i need to add, again :/ I guess i could just start texturing the hat, any more critiques on the face texture would be awesome!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another relatively small update, more hat detail, feather and hair! D: Been practising alot of traditional drawing so this got pushed aside a lil.
    robinprogress2.jpg
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I think what you need is an overall shading of the whole head(Yes, I know that this is the critique I keep falling back on =) ). The front of the head should be more conspicuous so you should use less saturation and brightness on the back of the head. Remember what I said with the ball and everything at the beginning of the thread? Same thing here.
    I would simplify some of the textures of your face as well(look at Demonprincess' Paint-over). I think some of your values are too dark and inconsistent. Try and smooth them out a bit so they look like gradients more.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Goraaz!

I did simplify the head texture down to a very smooth version like in Demonprincess' paint over, but it lost alot of its.. manlyness, (almost looked like a child), which is why i went and added some stubble and stuff to make it look a bit more rugged. Would be nice to see if anybody can come up with a work around for smooth gradients but still not look baby-faced, im not sure how i'd achieve that look :S.
    I'm pretty sure i understand what you mean by the shading this time, having done it on the lava head, but i did a paint over just to double check that i havn't got the wrong idea before i go ahead and start changing stuff on the texture:
    hoodpaintover.gif

Thanks again!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I think that's a bit too much. You could make the back slightly darker but not like a shadow. The main problem here with your texture is that many of the values simply get cut off. There should be a smoother transition. That's what I meant by looking at Demonprincess' Paint-over(don't mind the redesign, look at the technique!).
    Also, I'm not sure how you've uv-mapped your model but if there are no overlapping face uv's then you could add a shadow under the straw of hair in his forehead.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't unwrap it, it's MOP's SDK :) Yea it's not mirrored, so i can add shadow under the hair, was going to do that with a multiply layer once i get stuff looking good on both sides. i'll have a look at the values again, cheers.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... *think* im done with this one, atleast for now.

robintt.gif

Time for a new SDK to paint!
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Awesome progress on the last head! I'm a bit late to the party and you called this one done, but for future heads I think the beard stubble is a bit to gray blue-ish at the moment, it fails a bit like spray on paint in my opinion, I think using a more red-ish gray would make it feel more as a part of the face. (since his hair is a red/brown color too).

But really awesome job, you put a lot of effort into this one and it shows :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Meintevd, thanks alot! Looking at it now i think your right about the blue beard xD I'll probably fix that at some point..

Ok, i started having a crack at the god-like SDK which is MOP's goblin, i was pretty happy with this to start with and then i scrolled through the goblin thread and i suddenly felt very sub-par :p Either way, still pretty WIP, would love critiques before i start wrinkling him up n stuff ;)
    work_in_progress_goblin_sdk_by_gilesruscoe-d4ahbss.jpg

That tat on his forehead is meant to be glowing, i thought it would be interesting to have a secondary light source, but i'm having trouble selling it as 'glowing' right now. Any tips on that would be amazing too!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    In my opinion, it looks like there is a light just above his head instead of the light source being from his head. I dont think there's a lot of refs of glowing skin but maybe if its mnore localised, a diffuse soft edged halo or something, kind of like its glowing into and through the skin thats closest.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im back! ditched the goblin due to hatred of my initial idea, found this one by bobo though which is so awesome i can't avoid doing it.

early WIP, same deal, crits crits crits pleaseeee

tunk1.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good :) Maybe get some war paint in there or something.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starting up this thread again as i've decided to start another character model, its going to be a rather generic fantasy character.

Working on the characters shield as a warm up, this is where im at so far, need crits on making it look better :/

wooden_shield_by_gilesruscoe-d4ev8t8.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on this at the moment, some scary looking shit right now, but hopefully i can make her look less crazy. Need some fresh eyes on the skin tones at the moment and general shading before i move up in detail. Crits?

girlface1.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    You forgot her eyebrows and eyelids, and I think that dip area between her nose and lips is too wide and dark.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I think your mesh is very problematic. I don't think you can get rid of the scariness with just the texture.

When a face is just not working out, your best bet is to go back to reality. You can't really pull off a good stylized face if you can't model a good realistic face. I suggest you get some good front and side view photos of a real person, and match up the mesh to that.

I can recommend this site for some free references:
    http://free-textures.got3d.com/natural/free-character-references/index.html
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Jessica: yea the eyebrows were coming at a later date, i always stick them on after i get the forehead looking right for some reason, just find it easier, even if they are on a different layer! agreed with the dip, i took out an edgeloop from there aswell as it wasnt needed.

DemonPrincess: I know exactly what you mean by reality being a better study, and its something i really should do, but unfortunately this model falls under a school project to "create a stylised character"... even though we havnt been tasked to make a realistic one yet.. i think it was a tactic to make people stay inside of maya and not go sculpting crazy detail in zbrush yet... but it just ended up confusing half the class:/

I will definately start making a realistic face along side this as an extra study, but for now, im going to have to stick with this one... did a few mesh tweaks, added some stuff (stolen slipgates SDK hair technique/style)... think this is looking less scary now?
    girlface2.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I see. Odd approach, you'd think it would be much better to start with modeling on top of either photos or model sheets for a first head. :poly111:

Anyways, the head has definitely improved a lot so far. :D
    Even for a stylized head though, I would still use references, especially for stuff like ear and nose anatomy.

Here's a paint-over with some suggestions:

girlface2_example.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Giles, you doin' great! Very inspirational to see you push your skills forward!

Stalking this thread for now.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhh fantastic paint over DemonPrincess (again)! Will start adding these changes asap.

Cheers 9skulls! more to come very soon!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im back! ditched the goblin due to hatred of my initial idea, found this one by bobo though which is so awesome i can't avoid doing it.

early WIP, same deal, crits crits crits pleaseeee

tunk1.jpg

This is actually getting to a pretty nice stage. A quick levels adjustment to increase the contrast goes a very long way on this project.

In your levels adjustment, bring your left and right most arrows closer in towards your histogram to get a proper range of light in the texture, it looks a lot better.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Haiasi, thanks man, i will probably revisit him soon and give it some love! Cheers for the tip.
    Here's another update based on the paint over, ear is still ugly :p

girlface3.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better!

I'd check the nose again though, and what I did in the paint-over.
    You'll still want to flesh out the underside of the nose, as it's looking very flat on your mesh. Also, where the upper lip transistions into the nose, you have it caving in really far, giving her a slightly duck-lipped appearance.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh yes i see it now, the lips look really wierd in side view especially! Will fix this soon.
    Thanks!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Robin hood came out great!

Don't introduce shadows and forms just for the sake of having them -- think about what every shadow says about the shape of the model. For example: Why is there a crevice in her face between her lower eyelid and the cheeks? Are the sides of her temple really exposed directly to the lightsource, or is that creating a confusing shape? Is the jaw rendered consistently with the other shapes on the face, or is it overly defined?

I can do a paintover if you really need, but use the eye as an example and think about it: What is the shape of the lower eyelid? On most people, especially young women, it's a flat-ish plane.

Philippe faraut's female head planes (btw, faraut should be in every 3d artist's reference folder)

http://philippefaraut.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/e/femaleplanes1_2.jpg

And bridgman's pages on eyes

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructiveanat00briduoft#page/130/mode/2up

can help quite a bit.

Also, of course, as a matter of style, there's rarely a reason to imply the form of the lower eyelid at all on a cartoonish or idealized woman. It's just not a very major form on young women and eyeliner and makeup is typically used to hide it.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh you're a fountain of knowledge suprore ;) Awesome links.. will have some updates on this and some other stuff soon!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished modelling the rest of her, will unwrap soon! More face proggies to come soon aswell.
    joanprog.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked in the base textures and did a bit of work on the cape, any crits thus far?

joanprog2.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some textures in for the shield, not finalised yet:

shielddone.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anddd another small update, just gone through and sorted out the AO layer and added some more material definition in. Rendering these out from marmoset now too.

joansofartt.gif
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What did you do for your turntable?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a simple output video from marmoset (video stop set to mesh turntable) then imported into photoshop constrained to every 4 frames, then just saved it out as a gif, quite a fair bit of dithering going on though :(
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a pretty rough connection between the bottom of her neck and the body, was that intended?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are on seperate texture sheets, i havnt bothered fixing the seam until i start working on the skin tones for the chest area :p
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    One paintover, as requested.

This is very cool, it shows a strong, unified direction and has a lot of good, subtle stuff going for it in the painting. The shield, pants, and face especially show a lot of thought out work... But the reasons you arent satisfied with it mostly come down to pretty fundamental issues understanding how to portray materials and use color. A lot of what i did in this paintover (aside from agonizing over trying to figure out how to paint metal) actually involved SIMPLIFYING what you'd painted.

Gilesgirlpaintover-1.jpg

If you've got questions, pm me or hit me up on msn if im on -- supsupandaway@msn.com

Some thoughts:

-There are a couple major changes i made to the design, namely the belt, the armor, and the cape around her neck -- these are places where unclear design is making a lot more work for you on the painting side.

Good design communicates far better than great painting!

-'Contrast' is something to aim for when you're painting, but that rarely means contrast in Value like you'd get by ramping up the contrast slider in photoshop -- Contrast usually means contrast in hue, contrast in forms, contrast in hardness. Attempting to give everything a high contrast value range is almost always a mistake -- only the glossiest materials show a lot of value contrast. Most of the changes i made were to lower the value contrast and more strongly define contrast between the different types of materials.

-The secret to skintones is contrast in hues. Skin rarely varies in value all that much (seeing as it's ultra translucent) but it goes all over the place in hue and saturation. Eyedrop colors around the shadows, highlight, and midtones on skin by artists you really like and check out where they sit in the photoshop rgb box -- you'll be surprised! Baseline rule for fair skin: Midtones are deep and warm, shadows are grey and cool, highlights are light and cool.

I went a bit overboard on the crazy stream of consciousness notes. Messy, sorry! Hopefully some of what's in there will help out -- I tried to identify where it looks like you're having trouble and target that stuff. If you have any questions, ask.
  • funkdelic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice feedback SupRore.

gilesruscoe: I can see some very nice improvements on this thread mate, Keep it up Ill be following :thumbup::thumbup:
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah Suprore, way more then i thought i'd be getting feedback wise, bloody fantastic. The "overboard" sheet is full of great stuff and that paint over rocks. Il go back to the drawing board on chest armor design and where things join together and i'l get practising on painting reflections.

@funk, thanks man!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple of quick ideas for making the armor a bit more interesting:
    joanarmoridea.jpg

Also a quick paint over to see where i'l probably go with the contrast issue:
    joancontrast.gif
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the leather pants and breastplate, will get rid of those horrid black lines on the breastplate soon and make them a more saturated dark tone instead.

joanmetal.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update on this, been distracted by drawing...

joannew.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just flat spec maps at the moment, nothing special... also added in some extra design stuff, wip wip wip:
    joantt.gif
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    It all comes down to learning the fundamentals of both anatomy and painting. Stylization is no exception. I just focused on the face for this, didn't have time to go in depth. The biggest issue is the eyes. Her eyes are too close together, and she's got that kind of deer in headlights stare. As a general rule, the more you can see of someone's iris, the crazier they look. As a general rule of thumb, make the upper eyelid come down to where it's just about touching the pupil. Try not to use hard blacks in textures, and especially not for makeup. If i were you I'd avoid mirroring her face, it's worth it to find the uv space for the whole face, since it looks weird when her eye specs are coming from different angles, and the hair is casting no shadow. Re-read all the good tips you've gotten in this thread, painting things as a part of a whole instead of just individual elements is very good advice. I see you've started doing that, but you can still do better. :) I'm not good with words, so I hope my paintover speaks for itself. To sum up: Back to basic art fundamentals!

I'd recommend doing some changes to the mesh as well, since just texture painting won't get the job done here. To touch quickly upon that, you should bring out the corners of her eyes a bit more, they are very deep at the moment, adding to her sort of crazy look. You can also afford shaping the nose and mouth area properly, take the polies out of glove details or the eyeball mesh if you're on a strict budget. (I'd take out those anyways, btw, and add more interest other places, like volume to the cloak around her neck, some extra strands of hair etc. Your topology seems to be an uneven mix of lowpoly and mid-poly style modeling.) Her neck is also very butch for someone with such a petite, stylized physique.

wi7k8g.jpg

znr52u.gif

//edit: Also remember that eyes receive shadows like every other object.
    //edit2: I like your attitude and willingness to learn, good progress through the thread. I'll be watching.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Slash, thanks alot for the write up and paint overs.

The face does indeed look very crazy in comparison to your revision haha, i will be sure to fix it up as best i can. Unfortunely, the mesh was made following a "tutorial" given to us from our lecturer, so the topology has to match that of the tutorial (meaning i can't remove the very unnessessary glove details). But we can add topology, so i may just even out other areas to match in detail (smooth out the pauldrons etc). The head itself is unwrapped to be unmirrored, the eyes however share UV space, so i'l have to fix that (theres plenty of space to do that). I also noticed you painted very subtle teeth into your paint over, i like the idea of this, but how should i go about it, simply an alpha plane placed inside the mouth? I'l have a crack at painting some more of the face tommorow.

Thanks again!
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    My pleasure.

Personally i wouldn't bother with modeling the open mouth at all, I'd just paint it all in texture. But if it's a requirement, then yeah, an alpha plane could work. The reason I painted her teeth is that you left her mouth open, so something should be seen there, not just a black hole. Whatever you end up doing, don't be too overt about it. I've seen lots of teeth that look super shiny bright in many a model's mouth, and you end up with the same kind of problem as you had with the white in her eyes. Always consider the whole picture.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the face so far, i've adjusted the model to have the eyes slightly further apart and not so sunken into the head. Also added an alpha plane for teeth and gave the eyes seperate UV space. Added an edge loop into the neck to give it a thinner shape too. Still need to add freckles back in and attempt some kind of hair highlights.
    joanfaces.jpg

joanfaces2.jpg

Any better?

Going to be updating this thread alot more often now, as i'm going to get this character "finished" so that i can start doing some work on the MUTANT contest :)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I think the eyes could be pushed apart a bit further, she seems slightly crosseyed at the moment. But the progress is noticeable, she's looking better with each update, keep it up!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Felipe!

Havn't done much more on the texture yet, but rig is made and half skinned to her (alot of funky shit going down with the weights still though)

joanposed.jpg