Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SurfDeform Mini-Tutorial

nfrrtycmplx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
Here's a quick Mini-tutorial on how to morph complex geometry to simple NURBS shapes...

Here we have a simple sphere converted to NURBS, and a common situation you see in sci-fi models... a curved surface with several small depressions.

SurfDeform01.jpg

These are the wire-frames of the final objects.
SurfDeform01B.jpg

This is the final modifier stack.

1.TurboSmooth - makes your model look awesome
2.SurfDeform - Morphs the Plane (Plane13) to the Nurbs Sphere (Sphere01)
3.FFD(box) - Makes a free form deformation box around the plane to simplify the points that have to be moved. I'm not sure this makes too much of a difference, but seems like the best way to do it. I didn't try this dense of a mesh without the FFD modifier.
4.Editable Poly - Herpa Derp.

SurfDeform02.jpg

With the Plane13 object selected as shown by figure 1, in the "SurfDeform" modifier I pushed the "Pick Object" button and selected the Sphere01 object, as shown by figure 2.

I then fiddled with the nobs... as shown by figure 3.

SurfDeform03.jpg

Here's a brief explanation in image form!
SurfDeform04.jpg

I hope this is helpful!
____________________________________________________________________________________

This may be common practice, but I just figured it out today and wanted to share with the group. I remember Ghostscape showing me a way to do this a few years back, but it seemed more complicated than this, but also allowed for more complex geo deformation... @Ghostscape, you still got that tutorial? I remember being impressed by it!
____________________________________________________________________________________

Replies