Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    @Kio
    Nice axe! Looks nice and chunky. If I could throw a crit out there. It could just be the angle of picture, but the sharp edge feels a little blunt. Maybe adding a brighter colour along the edge will make it 'pop' more
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    because working in a vacuum is stupid:

maleAnatProgress.jpg
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    thanks guys!
    @vivin that is mostly all in the spec, maybe i should also raise them in the diffuse a little. i'll give it a try.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    So I'm working on a modular bridge for a project im on (Student project). I just finished!
    6xzzhf.jpg
    2hf2h5t.jpg
    i1jkv9.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys I could really do with some helpful advice on this chicka, I'm fairly far along with the general texture but I suck BALLS when it comes to hair! Altho I would treasure any crits on any part of her.

What are your secrets to making hair? I have tried the stretched plane method beforehand but I wasn't great at it. :(

ChHxF.jpg
    aU2P6.jpg

Nice design choices Cordell Felix But be mindful of the material, the stone comes across as alittle soft in areas, but otherwise sweet work.

Cool pose Whipswitch, the arms are alittle short looking at where the elbows are and the ribs to hip area could do with being abit rounder n more ref. But the Back muscles are killa! :D

Nice western Grantthompson, some colour variation could liven up those textures, from a distance, with the small details blurred it looks abit block colour. I agree about the levels tweak aswell, its going to look swish! :)

Thanks for the cloth workflow Afisher, your B-Man kicks! The bulges for his ears look alittle low by comparison to the brow. Looking forward to more.

Sweet outfit design Neox, I like the large nose, it suits the face. Speaking of which I'm all for some facepaint. And I envy the baggy cloth *^* any workflow tips would be invaluable I'm sure.

Very classy Hawken, I'd swing her hips out alittle more for extra va va voom but that's more of a personal preference lol. ;)

El Pollo Loco, gud start but I think you've gone into the smaller details too soon, get some muscle ref for those legs naow! His arms could do with abit more length from the elbow, and find some ref for the cloth creases and tightness in general I would recommend reworking the cloth. Keep at it :)

Killa style there Massbot.

DrDean = WIN

Whoa Scudz you've totally leveled up since I last saw. His Arms are Horrifically short tho, bring down the elbows and his lats bulge weird aswell I'd push the bulge center upward to meet the triceps on the back. Fix those and you've got some A-Game on the go! :D

sweet sharkthing Arkadius >_<.
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the pose and expression there Whipswitch.

Mask_Salesman The texture on the jeans looks a little too noisy/sharp I'd say. The jacket is great, hair could use a little more hue variation.

Cordell Felix - The pattern you have inside the inner arch looks a little out of place, it a looks more like wallpaper cut to fit, rather than a pattern that was sculpted in by a stonemason... assuming the wall is stone. Otherwise, really nice.

Few bits from me over the last few days, learning a lot. The stylised heavy dude and the lion were both started in sculptris, retoped in 3dcoat then refined in zb.

heavydude.jpg
    grotesqueinflight.jpg
    goldlion.jpg
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    trying a little sculpt from Sculptris base to Zbrushbuddhastatuea.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask salesman: Dude she looks awesome! love the color choices, maroon jeans ftw!. Anyways on the hair, do you have a thread for this chicka? i would like to see your sculpts. but ive found it helpful when doing hair/fur to sculpt it pretty simplistically just to get nice masses and clumping going on and then in the texture do a relatively high contrast hair fibers pass that can be run through crazy bump to get a normals overlay, gives you the nice base with some of the finer detail, this kinda circumvents some of the issues of trying to paint hair within the confines of a detailed sculpt, which can be time consuming and stupid unfriendly. hope it helps.

-Woog
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya: Thank you, it's very appreciated :)

SaferDan: Well, there's only just one directional light in the scene right now. I changed the shadow color to a dark purple and I've tweaked some of the light shaft settings on it. And then it's mostly some tweaking with color correction and post processing effects like an LUT texture, tone mapper, bloom and DOF. If there's anything else you'd like to know feel free to ask :)

Lonewolf: Haha yeah, the colors are something I'm really trying to push with this piece and I'm glad you like it :D

Kio: Thanks !
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Mask_Salesman: She looks great! I am not good with hair, but there are my thoughts:
    -From the front view the overall hair is nice, but from the back is too symetrical.
    I didn´t find any good image on the web...maybe just check around or ask some girl to put her hair like that. :poly124:
    -The texture is too clean and organized, normally hair is a bit messy, even very polished ones...
    -I don´t know if you have checked that:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/HairTechnique?action=show&redirect=Hair+Techniques
    I hope it helps!

whipSwitch: Nice sculpt, I like the way you put those muscles on the torso area, but maybe some extra work on the head and hands will help sell your sculpt. Ps: His trapezius looks a bit large, I´ve checked some references and it looks thinner when is contracted. (maybe It is my reference) :\
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Mask_Salesman great looking model
    re the hair, you could add a bunch more polyplanes to achieve a kind of layered effect. It's hard to just stretch just one or two planes and make it look as convincing
    check this out. You will have to dig through the thread for the workflow breakdown
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=150673

loooks pretty damn good though
  • Faf
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    Deadpools big wheel :D

Deadwheel1-1.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Mask_salesman- that looks fantastic!- the boots need some work though- some occlusion from the laces and maybe tone back some of the spattering IMO

just dropped this off in the SDK thread--an old piece I hope someone can find fun to texture-
    DanPawnSDK.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10396602/PawnSDK.rar
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
  • G1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on a browning m2 machine gun

m2wip05.jpg

m2wip02.jpg
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    dfacto wrote: »
    Sketching.
    flyboy01.jpg

bloody loving that dude ! one of a series i hope
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    @faf: great sculpting style man! definitely has this wow feeling

@dfacto: +1 to tacits post, nice shapes going on, and interesting "rubber" armor thingie on top

@masksalesman: nice one, really like the color layout, working quite nice. is the belly button projected on from foto? it doesn't seem to interact well with the normalmap, also i think i would add more shadow into the nostrils, looks strange if there is no shadow in the nose

about the baggypants or the sleeves, basicly i wrote it before i tend to do freestyle sculpting with sculptris to get the basic shapes done, i do it in sculptris because its tri based workflow lets me work "against" the topology as there is none, then i retopo it quickly in 3dcoat and do the rest in zbrush, the cool thing about the tris from sculptris also is that they project right into the retopo and give the cloth a somewhat nice fabric feeling, i just smooth that out later on in zbrush but it still gives the sculpt a different look because it doesn feel so super soft

okay here is my step for today, changed a few things according to the overpaint, narrowed the jaw a tiny bit, moved some things, still i think the 3/4 is off. Added the hip plates, added the dagger, added the pocket, changed details on the gloves and well wuickly overpainted the feather collar in 2 of the views

frenja_07.jpg
  • Arcadehero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arcadehero polycounter lvl 13
    Working on my painting skills. Just used some basic photoshop brushes and painted until it started to look like something.
    This is a creature concept for the sake of concepting.
    Insecthorsethingpush-1.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    gah, so much great work on this page.

Mask_salesman: Awesome character, she has a very believable face. Bobo did a hair painting video tutorial, http://www.bobotheseal.com/vids/BoBo_Hair_Demo.swf .

Faf: Kick ass work man, I love that cart, I want more!

Neox: Socks are rocked.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    @Arcadehero -

nice concept, but your perspective seems off; hopefully this image shows what I mean. these lines, when extended, should eventually converge at the same point!

perspective.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    fuck that rules dfacto
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Neox those folds are fantastic! What's your method in Zbrush for working on them? Looks very believable.

On that note here are my terrible folds haha.

tu5k.jpg
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    dfacto wrote: »
    Sketching.
    flyboy01.jpg

wow very unique!
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    dan!, those pawn look super fun to texture

a bit more of rushage:
    e3bf2d3663dd6c479e47ac8be4be3.png
    I also tried to use the fantastic technique of kodama seen on ZBrushCentral to import basemeshes with fancy smoothgroups and wich where pretty efficient to start off the boots for exemple...
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    G1337 wrote: »
    working on a browning m2 machine gun

m2wip05.jpg

m2wip02.jpg

Looking good. Came across some of those when Googling machine guns the other day.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
  • Inkfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did a quick sword based on the Warhammer online concept.

nNUj5.png
  • AmandaB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadpools big wheel :D

Deadwheel1-1.jpg

Haha, we should collaborate!
    Jk, but seriously, I made a fat kid Deadpool for the Brawl contest.
    I feel like he could ride around the block in that haha.

1zcpfr5.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    @holi: i really like the cat, you've got some great shapes goin on, maybe the delta is to much divided into seperate strands, but that could be personal taste. But there are few things which i think are not just personal taste, the pants look very blobby right now, of course this could be wip and is therefore not done yet but i just wanted to say it ^^
    Also you mentioning the boots, they in no way resemble an underlying foot, they look just like a subdivided L shaped boxmodel with a sole attached, but this is how it should look like approximately
    http://www.specopstactical.com/shop/catalog/images/store/Rothco/5257.bmp
    no matter how thick boots are, how protected they are, they will still have a sole aligned to the shape of the foot and while the naked body of your cat has great shapes the shoes are the totally opposite, shapeless and "dead" there is just no flow in them, at all - i think it would be good to rework the basemesh :)

however having that said i love the back and how it flows into the latissimus, it might not be super correct but as it is, it looks great and has an awesome flow

@LRoy: i wouldn't call myself like super pro with cloth, there are others who are so damn much better, how ever what i found really helpful lately is (besides sculptris for the very base), the gravity option for the brush, its awesome.

http://airborn-studios.com/projects/2011/portfolio/owl_huntress/zbrush.jpg

basicly i started with the selwy brushes when i started training my abilities to do cloth, the are great, you can get them at zbrushcentral. But then later i found out how they worked and put the gravity option right onto my UI, now i can use any brush with gravity direction and strength - its very helpful to create all the overlaps falling and and compressing cloth will create.
    Otherwise i really don't use much fancy stuff, for pretty much everything i use standard, claytubes, smooth, trim (earlier i used flatten but they broke it or changed it, now i use trim and its far better) and inflate and thats pretty much it, the only thing i switch often are the alphas
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    heh- fun concept!
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    @Neox: thx for the advices! I actually learn anatomy with a long term project of an
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    I went back to the high-poly and made a sling ! Everyone loves jiggly-slings, right?

_2772-.jpg

_2773-.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Lol, your ring is not in the right position, no wonder why it looks wrong :P

p_100006706_1.jpg
    you see the indent on the side of the stock, right in the centre of the image? that's were your sling goes.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, your ring is not in the right position, no wonder why it looks wrong :P

*IMG*
    you see the indent on the side of the stock, right in the centre of the image? that's were your sling goes.

Nope. It all depends on the stock, and this shotgun doesn't have that feature, believe me, I've looked at a lot of references. ;) Haha!

Edit://

Remington_870_Police_Magnum_2_by_ChillBebop.jpg
    M870_done.JPG
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    then your sling is not right or simply the way its mounted is wrong, that never bends that way, it should bend on the flat side. the piece that is hold on the barrel, can be move in some models, and changed in position, usually it comes free so it can rotates around to fit different positions. but when its fixed it always comes aiming down.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    then your sling is not right or simply the way its mounted is wrong, that never bends that way, it should bend on the flat side. the piece that is hold on the barrel, can be move in some models, and changed in position, usually it comes free so it can rotates around to fit different positions. but when its fixed it always comes aiming down.

You might be right on that one.
    Oh well, I'll get back to it tomorrow, I need some sleep first.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good man, Apart from that its a nice job, Im just very critic about gun mechanics because I work as a gun restorer, and I own many guns my self.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    This is my comic-con entry
    based on crits so far these are my ideas, at the moment I'm blocking out the anatomy as my ideas continue to be refined. What do you guys think, I'm open to all critiques that'll improve my design.
    FINALconcept.jpg
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26139
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Few renders of this guy

The%20last%20canadian%20mercenary.jpg
    Invisibleguns.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really cool Hawt! Is that some TF2 inspiration I'm seeing here? :poly124: Is he a Canadian Sniper? lol
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah some here and there but ultimately going for something different
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    suburbbum That is a bamf friggin concept. If you're not going to bring it to 3D I'd love to try it lol. I'd love to see more stuff in that style.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    How are you getting that cell-shaded lighting?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blender 2.5's toon shader isn't totally shitty compared to 2.4's
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    @Azuryon: Go for it. I'd love to see it in 3D and I don't have time to do that right now.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Still WIP. Taking another pass at the texture, going to add more dirt towards the feet, more blast marks in the back of the engines, and more decals overall.

Enjoy

Mech01-1.jpg
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Looks nice Wester,but those boxes on the side kinda look like speakers :S
This discussion has been closed.