Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flutey Buck- creature WIP

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
disanski polycounter lvl 14
Hey everybody.
I got some time to work on something more interesting and I found this concept made by Greg Broadmore who has some amazing art on his blog and website.
So I started working on this (after I contacted him) and it is the most fun I have had for a long time :)
All zbrush so far and if it turns out good I will make a low poly version and bake it down as well. Still very early WIP.

Any feedback is more than welcome.
ZBrush_2011-06-28_22-10-31.jpg

Replies

• Death-a-Matron
    Looking really good so far! Your matching the concept very closely. Only two things I noticed were, the feet, or hooves, seem to have too much of a crease, and the mouth need to be a bit wider. Don't forget to add in that wicked tongue : P
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man.
    I got some more of it done and it is starting to look like something now :)
    Almost done with the detailing and going to start painting it tomorrow.
    ZBrush_2011-07-12_00-44-16.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i got this baby painted ( just the tong left )
    I am pretty happy with how it looks so far so I think I am going to bake it down to a proper low poly mesh and bake some decent maps for it.
    Just fast zbrush render:
    Any comments and critiques are very welcome :)
    ZBrush_2011-07-18_00-43-01.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Gross! That's so awesome. nailed it bro. Only thing is his shins look a little smooth. It would be cool to see a wrinkle pass on them like you did for the rest of the body. Can't wait to see some gross specular on him! :)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!...
    Ahem, look great so far! Especially the uhhh... Face I guess you'd call it. I agree about the shin wrinkles could use a bit more wrinkly goodness on all the joints in fact. They look pretty detailed in the concept.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    nicely done man! just gotta even out those small details.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques guys.
    I went on vacation and now that I am back I forgot to check if anybody replayed on my thread ( i don't usually get any replies :) ) , so I did not know about all of those great inputs and just started working on the low poly and the texture maps.
    Those are really good points so I will go back ant try to get some more wrinkles in ( this does not have to change the low poly so i just have to rebake the maps.)
    In the mean time this is what I got . 9500 polys and viewed in max with 3point shader:
    texxture-work02_005.jpg

and the wireframe :
    texxture-work02_006.jpg

How does that look so far. I can't say I am happy with the specular but not really sure how to improve it some more.
    I am using the 3point shader as i said and they have that option for additive specular and I am not 100 % sure what it means. I believe I don't need to shift the hue the opposite direction in order to get the white highlights so i just left the specular in grayscale mode. Am I on a right track here?
    Also I did cut my uv's a bit more than i wanted to but only in order to get some more uv space used.
    Here are the flats :

Diffuse.jpg
    Specular.jpg

retopoNormalsMap.jpg

Thanks again everybody :)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did my first rig with the help of a friend :) just testing some silly poses :
    texxture%20work02_008.jpg
  • Desert-Island-Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Desert-Island-Designs polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great mate, do you have the tongue rigged too?

Hope your holiday went well?

btw its Adam :)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Ah rigging. I remember my first rig... It was terrible and made children cry. Yours looks much better than mine. Are you gonna try a walk cycle for him?
    Her? It?
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Adam :) nice to see you here and thanks man. The tong unfortunately is not rigged. I made a spline and used path deform modifier for it as it is only for posing. Nobody will be animating it. :)
    Mr hobo thanks man :) Not going to do the walking thing .. it is going to be pretty hard with this thing :) and i rather start sculpting something else.

I took some more time and I prepared some nice shots with this baby. For first time I decided it is about time to make a podium for it and a better presentation. All rendered in 3point shader (which is awesome) and just a touch of PS for the background.
    C&C are very welcome and much appreciated. I hope you like it :)

Final%20shot.jpg