Home Digital Sketchbooks

OneLungLewis - Sketchbook

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
Here are some shots of the Realtime Samurai Warrier I've been working on since Christmas. I will try to answer any question you may have about my process or how I did anything.

Lotus
Tri Count 48954
2 X 2048 Maps
Rendering Real Time in Marmoset Toolbag

I had a blast making this guy and learned so many things about character design.
My hole purpose was to create a Cinematic like Real Time Character from scratch. I'm currently a concept artist but my dream is to be a character artist, so this is my way of trying to achieve that goal.

I hope you enjoy and please leave me any comments or crits, they are very welcome.

Before getting started I wanted to personally thank my good friend and co worker R4ptur3 (Kyle Mulqueen) he was invaluable in this learning process.

It all started with this concept sketch I did right before the Christmas break.

Lotus Concept Sketch
LotusConcept.jpg

And then about a month and half later of about 3 hours a night it ended up like this:

Lotus Real Time Renders
LotusHeroShotS.jpg
Click Here for a huge version

LotusDetail1S.jpg

LotusDetail2S.jpg

LotusDetail3S.jpg

LotusDetail4S.jpg

LotusDetail5S.jpg

LotusDetail6S.jpg

LotusDetail7S.jpg

Here is a Detail of his sword, this was the first thing I started with. This version of the sword has a dedicated 2024 map. This was kind of a test to stretch my legs.

SwordComp.jpg

Here are the Texture Maps, everything you see execept the teeth is hand painted.

Diffuse

D1.jpg
D2.jpg

Specular

S1.jpg
S2.jpg

Normal

N1.jpg
N2.jpg

Replies

• onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few renders of the High res models. Everything but the fabric wrinkles was modeled in Maya. I didn't want to sculpt all that hard surface in Zbrush because I wanted to get the cleanest Normal maps as I could.

Kitana

Sword1.jpg
    Sword2.jpg
    Sword3.jpg
    Sword4.jpg
    SwordMesh1.png
    SwordMesh2.png

Shoulder

Shoulder1.png

Helmet High Res

Helmet.jpg
    HelmetMesh1.png

Wires1S.jpg
    Wires2.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    OMG, That modelling is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! especially on the sword and sheath. I think I prefer his silhouette from the concept though but hes still crazy. My eyes cant rest looking at all the crazy details haha. really really really nice.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Christ, that's really something. Absolutely insane attention to detail. Saved to the inspiration folder for sure.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Mind blowing.

Hats off to you sir.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    super impressive modeling. GREAT job man.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    oooo, the devil certainly is in the details! Awesome!

As for a crit, I do feel that the details in the face are much less defined than in the rest of the model. I understand that the face isn't predominantly displayed, but I think that making the elements which are shown through the mask pop a bit more would go a long way. Some heavier bags under the eyes or deeper wrinkling in that area would help bring the eyes out from beneath all that armor, and infuse some personality into the guy. I think the mouth shows more of what I am thinking, how the bottom lip really seems to jut out and catch the light. I guess I'm really just looking for more elaboration in the eye region. More crisp, defining forms there.

But the only reason I point that out is because of what a great job you did with the rest of the thing. Amazing work, man.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good words, now looking at it fresh the I will be revamping the face. Thanks alot for the good crit.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man... damn!!!!!!
    Fucking awesome! No crits from me! I'm blown away :D
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Phenomenal stuff Man. Really impressed.
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    Amazing epic work! I have no words ))) That is unattainable for me
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I think you will get the job you are looking for with this : ), clearly some very high professional level of character here.

superb execution, the modeling and shapes are perfect!
    Too bad you didn't keep the blue in the cloth but I understand its for more bad-assness.

Very inspiring and impressive! Thanks for the share
  • spiderspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome highpoly models so clean!
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Firstkeepers epic Sylvanas Windrunner character inspired me to try my hand at the the realm they call Blizzard. I was really caught with the Demon Hunter character class in the upcoming Diablo III franchise.

I'm a concept artist currently, but the studio I work for has been very supportive in my pursuit of becoming a character artist. They are now allowing me to transition into the role of character artist.

Diable fans please give me some crits I want to be respectful of the incredible art that comes out of the Bliz.

I'm a little unsure of the placement of armor and straps in the back the concept is only a front shot and the cinematic isn't very clear of whats going on back there. So any help from anyone that knows and can share would be greatly appreciated.

Blizzard Created Concept of the Demon Hunter Class

DemonHunterConcept.jpg

Perspective1.jpg
    FrontDetail.jpg
    FrontDetailWires.jpg

WireFront.jpg
    WireSide.jpg
    WireBack.jpg
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really good stuff
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Mmmm the girl needs a bit more hips, at the width of the left shoulder pad at least...but of course you can all do those minor tweaks in zbrush.

Great looking model it is going to be awesome! : )
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was able to start blocking in the locations of stuff. Still a bit fuzzy of whats going on in the back.

Im using 3D Coat to paint with

FrontBlockIn.jpg
    BackBlockIn.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tweaked her female curves a bit, she was looking a little mannish. I raised her hips a bit and put some meat on her thighs. I shrunk her shoulder width a slight bit and trimmed down her stomach to try and capture that slight curve from the side going into her crotch. I also put some more mass on her calves and enlarged her feet. She had some chicken legs working before. Lastly I shrunk her rib cage a bit.

I also started the first pass at color, I like hitting the harder things first so I started with the face. I know it looks like she is wearing a mask but the shadow will make a hole lot more sense in the end.

FrontBlockInB.jpg
    BackBlockInB.jpg
    FrontBack.jpg
    Side.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Nice progress,

I'd say just tweak the gauntlets a bit, maybe just a push and more accents in the general curves/shape to make it more bulky.

Everything else seems spot on to me! Great work.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more painting progress on my demon hunter. Slow but moving along.

Paint1.jpg

Paint1b.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Beautiful man, keep it up.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looks great so far dude. you said you're using 3D coat to paint? was that just for blocking in the lines, or for the actual painting as well? how're you liking it?
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suburbbum: thanks man, appreciate the kind words.
    bounchfx:Ya I used 3D Coat to block in the lines. When I start painting for real I do a quick paint job in 3D Coat and bounce back and forth from photoshop tightening and cleaning up stuff. I go back to Coat when I need find the placement of something like an edge, thats not visible on the flats. Going back and forth from Coat to Photoshop seems to be very intuitive for me and I can get results pretty fast.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers dude some really neat stuff you've posted so far! : ) I'm curious on how long it took for you to make that Samurai-guy. *thumbs up*
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    This is just mindblowing stuff!!! *eye popping*
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq: The Samurai took me just under a 100 hours I started him in late December 2010 and worked probably every night for about 2 or 3 hours.

Hazardous: Thanks man! Really appreciate the kind words, by the way the Civil War is looking awesome!
  • Silver.Cat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you share demon hunter model ?? Please!!! thanks
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a new personal project I just finished for a gnomon competition titled "Alien Portrait"

So Going into this I wanted to really push my knowledge of mental ray and the Fast Skin Shader. Thought this was a great project (that was non human) to learn a few new tricks.

Here are some screens of the zbrush sculpt.

Polycount 3.7 Million

AlienBustGeo.jpg

AlienBust1.jpg

AlienBust2.jpg

Maya Screen Grab

Low Res Base Mesh used 7364 Tri

mayagrab.jpg

AlienUVs.jpg

Texture Maps:

Displacement Sub-D levels 1 - 6 943,456 Polygons resolution

aliendisplacement.jpg

Normal Sub-D levels 7 (you can't see anything but the fine wrinkle detail is there, I didn't want to double up on my detail)

aliennormal.jpg

Overall Diffuse
    OverallDiffuse.jpg

Overall
    HeadOverall.jpg

Gloss
    gloss.jpg

Reflection
    reflect.jpg

Roughness
    roughness.jpg

Epidermal
    epidermal.jpg

Subdermal
    SubDermal.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render Passes:

Physical Sun and Sky
    physicalsun.jpg

Key Light
    keylight.jpg

RimLight
    Rimlight.jpg

Eye Glow (I tried playing around with his eyes glowing but ended up ditching it)
    eyeglow.jpg

Zdepth
    zdepth.jpg

Final Comp
    AlienPortraitHero.jpg
  • SKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SKid polycounter lvl 7
    Nice render, the Bust looks good.

The Samurai is Awesome, Btw.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    amazing work onelunglewis, looks great man! Great expression and I love his teeth.
    Thanks for the composition breakdown.
  • KingKnecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I'm very impressed of your Samurai. Can you say something about the techniques you have used to create all the details i.e. on the protector of the sword or on the surface on the helmet? How is it possible to create such details on a flat surface with this nice edge flow?

How did you create the windings on the sword handle? Did you tweak all the vertices manually so they fit so perfect on the bended handle?

Thanks,
    KK