Home Technical Talk

Snaps in Max

I'm currently moving from Maya to Max due to reasons with a school I'm going to be attending.
In Maya, simple things like snapping to the grid and vertices can be achieved with the x and v keys... is there a way like that in Max to snap? I tried using the normal snap toggles, and they don't want to work at all for me.
I'm using Max 2010 w/ Win7 64 bit computer with an Radeon 4600 card

Replies

• alz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alz
    I'd like to know as well!

In a similar vein ... is there a way to snap the current selection (verts or whole objects) to the nearest grid?
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Use 'S' to toggle snaps.

In the Main Toolbar there is a Button with a Magnet, where you can toggle Snaps (similar to pressing 'S'), chose between 2D, 2.5D and 3D Snap (I only use 3D) and, if you rightclick it, you open a new window where you can choose what to snap and, for example, to use the Gizmo's Axis Constraint when snapping (I using this to snap only 2D even though I am using 3D snap...)

Example: If you want to snap a Vertex to a Gridpoint, you need to activate Gridpoints and Vertex.
  • coop510
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems to only work when the vert starts at a grid point, otherwise it's always off... and also my ortho viewports completely freak when snaps is toggled on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right click the 3D magnet, go to the options tab and turn on "Use Axis Center point". If its on turn it off. I can never remember which it is and I'm not in front of max right now.

You can also right click a blank spot on the main toolbar and turn on the snaps toolbar which has quick buttons to edge, vert, grid pivot, all the pivot options. I'm constantly turning on and off angle snap and using the pivots so I just leave it out. You can dock the toolbar to the top or one of the sides by dragging it there.
  • coop510
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, a fix (or workaround) for the problem I was having is simply moving the cursor directly over the vert and then drag to move it along the grid points, I was trying to move it with the gizmo like I did in Maya, but that always threw it off. Downloaded the last hotfix out for Max and that helped the viewport issue a little, but not completely.

I'd still like to be able to move with the gizmo, but I guess I'll just get used to this way.

Thanks for the help guys!
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    coop510 wrote: »
    Ok, a fix (or workaround) for the problem I was having is simply moving the cursor directly over the vert and then drag to move it along the grid points, I was trying to move it with the gizmo like I did in Maya, but that always threw it off. Downloaded the last hotfix out for Max and that helped the viewport issue a little, but not completely.

I'd still like to be able to move with the gizmo, but I guess I'll just get used to this way.

Thanks for the help guys!

Check what Vig said, this is a solution to the problem, if you move the cursor close you are still going to be off on the selection snapping.
  • coop510
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I tried what Vig said, but it still did not help, still doing the same thing, if it doesnt start on the grid, it will not go to the grid using snaps. Tried toggling the Use Axis Center as Start Snap Point on and off, and it makes no difference. It does seem that would solve the issue, but as far as I can tell it's doing nothing for me. Perhaps a glitch of some sort?

As far as putting the cursor close to the vert, it actually turns into a separate little move tool with the pointer turning into the four arrow icon and it does move the vert/verts consistently dead-on to the grid points like it's supposed to be.
  • coop510
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I figured out the issue.
    If the cursor is aligned to a snap point, then no matter what the cursor is doing, is destination is snapped.
    If I zoom in enough where I can highlight the gizmo without having my cursor within range of snapping, then there is no problem and it does exactly what I want it to do. But if that cursor is in range of a snap point when I first click and start to drag, then my cursor destination is getting snapped, not the vert or whatever else is selected.

So now, is there a way to keep my cursor from getting snapped? I've tried with the marker on and off.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah thats a true nightmare ... I wish someone could somehow override that weird snapping behavior and implement quick snap toggles like in Maya...
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    That can happen with some stuff like that. You can trigger snaps at any time though, so my solution is to select the vert first and start moving it, then hit S till it's in place then back out. A real pain, agreed.

I also noticed something strange in that the verts don't always actually snap to 100% in our engine so I had to write a script at work, that may have been a limitation in the precision of the file format or importing though. I'd love an actual replacement for hte snaps in max though. Never been a fan :(
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    In my experience, in addition to being clunky and slow to use, Max vertex snap is pretty inaccurate. I've run into the same issues as Funky Bunnies where vertices don't seem to align 100% even if it looks right in the viewport - if you zoom in far enough you sometimes see a tiny gap. It's pretty painful, Maya's system is way smoother and more accurate.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree the way they implemented it in Maya is a lot better. I've hit the tiny gap issue too, I end up using the type in coordinates to make sure the verts are in the exact same place, this takes 200x more effort and wastes a bunch of time. It shouldn't be something I have to do, at all.

I think the scale of the object in the scene also effects the snap tool and its accuracy, which is another crazy aspect I'm don't like, especially when it's reported to work in screen pixels and be scale independent... wee... Maybe its the scale of the object and resetting it helps (hierarchy tab > Reset > Scale)? When it happens I end up seeing red and trying a bunch of stuff to get the job done.

When you have trouble with the snap tool grabbing onto something it shouldn't, you can compensate for this by adjusting the snap preview/snap radius. I haven't found a quick way to do this on the fly (could possibly be scripted) other than through the right click snaps button menu.

It's great when you can't get it to actually snap to the object you want because now the snap preview is too low... Since there is no way to adjust it on the fly, so I turn the snap preview/radius back up, move the vert way off somewhere, and then snap it.

If I'm lucky and its grabbing onto the grid, I use the same method FunkyBunnies described and toggle the grid off (g), start moving the vert and then turn it back on if I need to snap it grid.

Honestly all of these little annoying work arounds should never happen...
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I would give so much for them to patch in Maya type snapping (along with dynamic Maya-style pivot moving while we're at it) in 3DSmax.

In my experience, I always get the snap in Max to feel better when I turn it on after I start moving my element. It's also nice to have a shortcut to toggle the axis constraint on/off, once again this is done better in Maya, in the sense that if you want axis constraint, you select thoses axes from your gizmo, and if you don't want any constraitns, you can just middle-click drag.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    I have a tutorial on my website that explains max's snapping behavior...people always seem to have trouble with this
    scroll down on my 3d section under tutorials
    www.custom-airbrush.com
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Agreed, snaps behaviour can be unpredictable from time to time if your not working on a grid or user grid, I usually end up copying and pasting xyz info for verts and adjusting pivots for aligning objects.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Snapping in max will be the death of me. The death of me.
  • alz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alz
    We're constantly have problems with Max's grid not putting verts and edges exactly on the grid line. It's not until we've gone checked all other collision in-game issues that we realize upon an extremely close-up zoom that a model was off. How insane would it be to micro-inspect every model on export to ensure it has correct metrics!

Has anyone found a script or plug-in that enforces grid-alignment? Similar to how you can't build outside of the grid in some game engines. If you want tighter detail, you have to increase the grid density (smaller units).

I've been scouring the web off and on for months but haven't found anything like this.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I thought Max snap system did just that make you SNAP!!! If you want to align something just copy and paste, it totally defeats the purpose but it works. By the way 3d snaps don't work in the ortho views just perspective, and 2.5 seem to only work in the ortho view from my experience. This might just be user error though. The 2D snap option doesn't seem to work at all.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    alz: i wrote a script a while back that snapped vertices within a tolerance to the nearest current grid unit. i'll see if i can dig it up (or re-write it)
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    pior wrote: »
    Yeah thats a true nightmare ... I wish someone could somehow override that weird snapping behavior and implement quick snap toggles like in Maya...

hi pior...isn´t this plugin doing this...

http://draster.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,7/flypage,software-flypage/product_id,18/option,com_virtuemart/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage wrote: »
    I thought Max snap system did just that make you SNAP!!! If you want to align something just copy and paste, it totally defeats the purpose but it works. By the way 3d snaps don't work in the ortho views just perspective, and 2.5 seem to only work in the ortho view from my experience. This might just be user error though. The 2D snap option doesn't seem to work at all.

I have no clue why I didn't post this info earlier, I've posted it in the past when snapping issues pop up, better late then never I guess. This isn't to say its perfect or even ideal, but more or less how I've come to understand these features and work with them.

2D snap
    Snaps exclusively to the active grid object. The most precise method to snap a point to a grid. Works in whatever viewport. Shouldn't be used to snap verts to other verts, it will move the selection to the grid.
    3dsmax2DSnap.jpg

Its easy to think this is broken when you're using it in perspective view, if it doesn't have a grid behind the cursor it flies off into the distance.

2.5D Snap
    Uses the active grid but ignores depth. Commonly used in ortho views, left right, top bottom, forward back to align two thing side by side but leave one in front of the other. It works in perspective too but works just like 2D but less accurate.

3D Snap
    is typically used to snap objects to each other such as verts to verts. It can be used to snap to the active grid but suffers from the same imprecision issues as 2.5D.

Example of 2.5D and 3D snaps
    3dsmax2-5Dvs3DSnaps.gif

Problem of 2.5D and 3D Snap
    For precise snapping to a grid, use 2D.
    For precise snapping in 3D you're pretty much up shit creek without a paddle, 2.5 and 3D are just as bad at snapping to verts and edges as they are to the grid.
    3dsmax2-5Dand3DSnaptoGrid.jpg
    *shrug* Meh its close enough right?... um no...

Tips:
    - It can be helpful to toggle the transform gizmo off (x) when snapping, especially verts.

- You can create custom grid objects (user grids) and position and rotate them in the scene. Using them indepenatanly of the home (world) grid.

- It can help when repositioning them to set the transform gizmo to local.
    3dsmaxGridObject.jpg

- You create user grids by going > Create tab (little sun/starburst) > Helpers (tape measure icon) > Grid. You can only have one grid object active at time.

- To activate a grid object select it and right click > upper left quad menu "active grid". Use the same method to switch it back to the home grid or activate another grid object.

Possible script idea:
    Toggling Each of these features has a separate hotkey. It wouldn't be too hard to script a toggle combining them into one keystroke. If there is enough interest I'll look into it if someone hasn't already beaten me to the punch.

- Also know that with the custom grid object selected, in the command panel you can adjust the spacing and flip it XY, YZ, ZX. Generally
  • alz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alz
    MoP wrote: »
    alz: i wrote a script a while back that snapped vertices within a tolerance to the nearest current grid unit. i'll see if i can dig it up (or re-write it)

Please do MoP -- that would be fantastic!

Thanks for all the other comments everyone. This is extremely helpful! I'm going to step through Vig's post and check out Spatz' link.