Old (#1)
Man... cheesy ass name, I apologies in advance.

Anywho, since I'm in my final semester of College, we're working on a "final project" for our portfolios... and this is what I've been crackin on for a couple weeks now.

I'll post up concept work / some of the models I've done so far. Basically what I've done was created a fast blockout, and replace blockout models with "finished" pieces when I can.

Still designing some key areas, and any crits would be much appreciated.

I've been heavily inspired by the awesomeness that is Darksiders, so picture that kinda style... but not nearly as good, and you'll have an idea of where I'm heading with this :P

Oh, and I've been following Adam's awesome thread - http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69345 and would love to dive deep like that into the development process of this environment, but he's the king at that kinda stuff so mine probably won't be nearly as in-depth as his.

Last edited by JasonLavoie; 01-26-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Jason Lavoie
Ubisoft Toronto - Modeller
Linkedin | The Game Dev Cast | Enviro Wiki
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,511 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#2)
Sweeet!! Nice work so far...since you are following up with Sir. Adam's concept...I'll book mark this to see the project's progress.....

EDIT1: Oshawa, ON? May I ask what college do you go to? Sorry for being Off topic.

EDIT2: Please dont say UOIT.

Last edited by Nitewalkr; 01-26-2010 at 06:54 PM..
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,150 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Location Sauga, ON Send a message via MSN to Nitewalkr  

Old (#3)
Looks like a great start Jason, looking forward to seeing your progress on this. Darksiders was the first thing I thought of when I saw it (well, I have been playing it a lot..).
Offline , line, 74 Posts, Join Date May 2007, Location Boston, MA  

Old (#4)
Hey Jason, this is looking really cool. I thought of Darksiders as well when I first looked at it. Are you going with the same texturing style?
Offline , triangle, 383 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Irvine, California  

Old (#5)
looking really good so far. Nice mix of large and macro detail, no crits here
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,341 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#6)
Honestly turpedo, I have it in my head now that I want to nail that kinda style. I mean I went in knowing that my zbrush work would focus on more broad shapes instead of crazy small detail you know, and I really do like the harder edges kinda style that Darksiders has, so I'm going to try and see if i can incorperate that into it... but I've never done anything like that before :P

Good time to learn now eh.

Thanks guy, I'll post some more work and breakdowns in the following days. It's slowly coming together but I'm feeling pretty good with this, the texturing is really going to have to bring this piece out though, I hope I can nail it.

Thanks again all
Jason Lavoie
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,511 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#7)
Even with a generic name like "Demon's Throne" this scene looks like it's going to be far from ordinary.

I really like the layout of the scene. The large bold shapes of the blockout meshes are very nice too, hopefully you can keep that feel as you further refine them.
Ye Olde Portfolio | Google+ | #1GAM | Aspiring indie developer.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,600 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009, Location Hawaii Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Apuna  

Old (#8)
It's about time you accepted Satan into your heart. It's the only way to get in to games.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,446 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Denver, CO Send a message via ICQ to cholden  

Old (#9)
I wish my final semesters at my uni let me do environments / characters instead of forcing an animation on me :|
Offline , triangle, 360 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Brisbane, Australia  

Old (#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholden View Post
It's about time you accepted Satan into your heart. It's the only way to get in to games.
Haha, what can I say, he offered cookies and I accepted... shits tasty man!

Raider - Its nice that we have the option to do what we want... I guess... but other schools handle it much better than this.

Ben - Thanks man, honestly... my main focus for this one is overall composition, I want to really have some strong shapes in the foreground, as well as some interesting shapes in the mid / background to really help create some depth to the overall scene... there is gonna be a lot of little things in here when I'm done that will hopefully breath some life into it.

Thanks again all.
Jason Lavoie

Old (#11)
What sort of game is this for? It's pretty low detail..
Offline , Administrator, 8,983 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Toronto, Canada Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam  

Old (#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
What sort of game is this for? It's pretty low detail..
About 70% of it is still in blockout stage, but yuh... most of the stuff is more lower poly. Once I get the textures going I'm going to revisit some of the pieces and cut more detail into it, right now I'm just trying to get models done for the scene.

This will be going into UDK once I have everything modeled (initially).
Jason Lavoie

Old (#13)
Cant wait to see this develop bro!
www.aelevel.net / LinkedIn
Mech Artist / Piranha Games
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,008 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Vancouver, BC  

Old (#14)
Reminds me of a Diablo 3 concept that I liked:

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/artwork.xml#20

You've done a great job realizing this arena so far!
Offline , spline, 198 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009,  

Old (#15)
you're gonna be bussssyyyy... Excited to see this one! good luck!
Offline , triangle, 285 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Chicago, IL  

Old (#16)
dot worry bout the name. ur a great environmental artist. im excited to see how this turns out.
Offline , polycounter, 782 Posts, Join Date Mar 2008, Location canada  

Old (#17)
After hovering through your portfolio, I assume this piece of art should be easy for you......But like everyone else I cant wait to see the final scene.

I am more interested in knowing about your college in Oshawa <.<, and your program.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,150 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Location Sauga, ON Send a message via MSN to Nitewalkr  

Old (#18)
Awesome work so far Jay. Can't wait to see how it pans out \0/
Brandon McCready - Gameloft Toronto
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,463 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Ontario Canada  

Old (#19)
ah ok so this is what you meant by ripped earth when you messaged me.

ok yah man looking good

suggestion : if your using max 2010 take that low and testate it 1 time to get some more geo to this and take it to zbrush and start sculpting away

due to the size of this piece I suggest polygroups to get the most out of each chunk
*Flips Table*

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

~Personal Site~
www.seforin.com
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,447 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location In the Year 20XX Send a message via AIM to seforin Send a message via MSN to seforin  

Old (#20)
cant wait to see where this goes...looking great so far man.
mikesnight.com -- 3dmotive.com -- @twitter
Lead Level Artist _ Irrational Games
Offline , triangle, 266 Posts, Join Date Aug 2007, Location Boston  

Old (#21)
Lookin sweet man cant wait to see this finished up
Offline , vertex, 32 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009, Location Illinois Send a message via AIM to Sneekyazn Send a message via MSN to Sneekyazn Send a message via Yahoo to Sneekyazn  

Old (#22)
I love it.
* Gamer Card * *
Offline , polygon, 740 Posts, Join Date Jul 2006, Location Ottawa, On  

Old (#23)
Doing some re-design, now its not so much a Demon's throne room, more like an entrance now... maybe... so this place would host a smaller boss fight kinda thing.

Again, still blocking out this piece so I'm missing some things (such as the statues etc.) that'll come soon. Still need to nail down the design for this area right now.
Jason Lavoie

Old (#24)
looking pretty cool
Offline , polycounter, 1,050 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location Gresham, Oregon Send a message via AIM to makecg Send a message via Yahoo to makecg Send a message via Skype™ to makecg  

Old (#25)
Looking great so far!
Thiago Klafke / Environment Artist
Portfolio - Linkedin - ArtStation

[UE4] Sampa
Offline , polycounter, 793 Posts, Join Date May 2007, Location Sao Paulo