• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Edit: Yeah, probably 3DCoat come to think of it. :)
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I'd wager it's 3D-Coat, but I can't be certain
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely certain it's 3D-Coat.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Absolutely certain it's 3D-Coat.

Yep. Good old voxels.

Voxels are very powerful, I wonder if zbrush and mudbox will ever make the transition.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so how does that work? like i import a model into it and just paint away and it generates my texture map output?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    make uv's and then import, or use the uv tools in 3dcoat, and then export.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, it's 3DC. Although I still call bull-crap on the way the guy was painting so easily and the way the textures looked so great. I painted on a 2K sized, and there wouldn't be a single time the texture looked lumpy and pixelated at an american-shot level.

Your mileage may vary though, so try the demo and see.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    [HP] wrote: »
    Yep. Good old voxels.

Voxels are very powerful, I wonder if zbrush and mudbox will ever make the transition.

Actually, Zbrush's topology tool works pretty much the same way. It allows you to use the same topology the one that is on mesh and reduce its points and faces. Than you can simply project the sculpting you've done before.

It also allows you to re-do the mesh.

3d coat just makes it more easier than Zbrush thats why many people prefer it.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Yeah, it's 3DC. Although I still call bull-crap on the way the guy was painting so easily and the way the textures looked so great. I painted on a 2K sized, and there wouldn't be a single time the texture looked lumpy and pixelated at an american-shot level.

Your mileage may vary though, so try the demo and see.

what do u mean by the bullcrap part?
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, it's 3dCoat :)

it was a 1024 map, iirc. Lots of color sampling with some smoothing (holding shift) here and there works wonders!
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    yup, def 3d-coat.

but these are just side tools, the main power of 3d-coat imo are it's voxels.
    voxels voxels voxels!!! it's the frkn future I tell you...
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    n88tr wrote: »
    what do u mean by the bullcrap part?

I think he meant that this guy lets it look far too easy to get something looking that good.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    3dcoat, i dont use photoshop anymore, only 3dcoat. As for being easy it depends on your talent. You can do the same in photoshop or in 3dcoat. I find it more confortable working on 3d tho.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    so how does that work? like i import a model into it and just paint away and it generates my texture map output?

3dcoat has a series of 'rooms' a voxel-sculpting/surface-sculpting room. a 3d texture paint room. a uv room. a resurface room etc.

it can do far to much to explain in a post. the best thing to do is download and try it. read the docs and there is a lot of videos on the site also.

at this point it does a lot of things better then mb or zb. but I think for sculpting mb and zb are quite a bit superior atm. but as a resurf tool and other thing its tops.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah watching murph's vids a while ago got me interested in it. Lately I've been doing a lot of hand painted low poly stuff and it's really invaluable for that kind of style (and for other styles when needed considering you can pretty much sculpt in your normal map directly if you need to make textural changes or anything)

There just isn't a whole lot of videos demonstrating it as good as possible, and nobody really knows/cares to try it out.

If you're using bodypaint or deep paint 3d I'd recommend making the switch over to 3DCoat. It really is pretty fucking awesome.

@Ace-Angel, your UVs were probably shit.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, 3d coat deserves to be named, and taken seriously.

It's a bit shaky and tools don't feel polished yet, but the power behind all the tools is incredible.

Just the voxels alone, imagine sculpting an object that has density equally spaced everywhere, at all times.

Adding and removing 'clay' in space, vs moving the predefined grid of classic topology, meaning that you could literally cut an arm of a character, or just remove it entirely, without messing up topology, there is no wire in the voxels worlds, only 3dspace used and 3dspace not used.

Merging any meshes together to make 1 solid mesh, melting the two together without seams, thus copy paste 3d meshes and gluing them together without any problems.

Minecraft represents the idea of voxels quite well, it a little different and the tech nowadays allows for very very tiny voxels, but the idea of adding and removing blocks to space is the same.

well, enough ranting.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I've been using 3D Coat to do hand painted props for a while. I really like it. I haven't had issues with things looking pixelated. 3D Coat is dependent on your texture size and UV map.

An alternative is to bring your low res into Zbrush, turn off smooth, and subdivide the crap out it and just paint on the verts. Then get your polypaint exported as a texture or bake the vert colors to a texture in something like xNormal.

Personally it's way easier the way Murph does it in the video using 3D Coat. I just wish I could make texturing look as easy (or as good) as he does.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 wrote: »
    voxels voxels voxels!!! it's the frkn future I tell you...
    Careful you're starting to sound like the "uUUuUuunlimted point cloud daht-ah" douchebag.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4[/ame]
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    ... except 3dc voxels are the real deal =]
    The new live clay dynamic tesselation stuff is the shit!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree 3dcoat fuckin rocks if anyones doing it right, they are. I just thought it was funny the way he said it, reminded me of someone heh.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol Mark has it out for voxels.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Careful you're starting to sound like the "uUUuUuunlimted point cloud daht-ah" douchebag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4

dart-ah

:(

date-ah
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffro wrote: »
    I've been using 3D Coat to do hand painted props for a while. I really like it. I haven't had issues with things looking pixelated. 3D Coat is dependent on your texture size and UV map.
    Doesn't 3DCoat also support PTex? But I guess if you're doing materials on a low poly object it doesn't matter you should have your mesh properly unwrapped.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    It does support PTex Mark. I haven't messed with trying to convert a low poly mesh to PTex. Seems possible. At some point your mesh will need to be unwrapped. I guess I'm just fine with it being before I paint because that's how Photoshop works. I'll look into if that's possible with PTex though.