Home Technical Talk

xNormal - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    By the way, Jogshy, has anyone said lately that you rawk?
  • Michael Knubben
    Since he's doing all of this for free, doesn't anyone have an old wacom they can send Jogshy, even if only to 'lend'? Anyone who's upgraded to a bigger one and now has a spare one gathering dust?
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Coming soon to help you a bit with the DW3:

- TriLight. A simulation of three lights using just only one light.

- Fine detail improved options.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • hyrumark
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I have an old graphire 4x6, if you want it jogshy, send me your shipping address.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, hyru! Sent you a PM with the address
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Haha! Way to go, especially since the rules state that xnormal is "street legal" for the contest. You rock jogshy!
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a preliminary result of the new trilight feature:

trilightly8.jpg

So well... it can simulate three lights with only one... but is a hack really. The "secondary" value controls the light coming from a side. The "tertiary" value controls light coming from the back side. Setting them to black annuls the trilight and sets the default lighting system.
    The trilight will available for all the graphics drivers, not only for DX10.

Tweaking it a bit you can fake Lambert and rim lighting too.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Released the 3.14.3 with the trilight patch and improved fine detail.
  • Michael Knubben
    Thanks for making it even easier to preview things properly, as well as making it easy to take decent screenshots with a minimum of work involved. I'm off to have a go at it right now.
    Also, is there a way to change the size of the window if you're in windowed mode?
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also, is there a way to change the size of the window if you're in windowed mode?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Window resizing is currently only allowed using the OGL graphics driver or the DX10 one. For DX9 currently is not supported.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey santi, i just wanted to ask you if you could make the cavity map a tad better , because right now it doesnt help much since it seems a blue channel shifted with values frown.gif

here are some images of some cavity maps in action :

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=66829

also in polyboost features you can see a somesort of cavity map.

http://www.polyboost.com/

Right now i am using hacks to make a cavity map , but there are some obvious flaws wich require unecessary cleanup frown.gif Also i might seem a noob asking this , but would be cool if you included a somesort of preview about the ambient oclusion when we tweak settings , like use a simple model and make it realtime dunno :S because that would allow me to make "experiments" without having to render the whole map again frown.gif
    Also maybe a button "clear all" to clear the lowpoly/highpoly tabs of previous models hehe...

keep rocking this man, awesome piece of work laugh.gif
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yo johnny, check out how i get cavity maps from crazybump, its pretty easy, and they a bit more quality than the ones from zbrush, all you need is your normal map.

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=275885&an=0&page=0#Post275885

its a pretty straight forward process, i dont know if it really needs to be added to xnormal, but you know another useful feature never hurts.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah i used that trick but sometimes some detail still gets non cavity values , maybe im crappy, but a bake method would be failproof hehehe , but i will keep using that one smile.gif

( sometimes in crazybump the cav map has the tangent space map artifacts -lowpoly shading- etc )
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i just wanted to ask you if you could make the cavity map a tad better

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, the problem is the lack of technical information on cavity generation. For example, there is a lot of info about blur or convolution kernels but there is no source code, articles, equations or serious programming info about the cavity mechanics. Without that all I can do is just to try to approximate an image kernel to give you similar results to a reference result frown.gif
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on indirect lighting in the 3D viewer's DX10.0 graphics driver for the upcoming 3.14.4.

I got good results and could be implemented in the DX9/OGL drivers too because is very easy and fast.

Cornell box:
    xnormalglobalilluminatiip8.jpg

And two videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGultv4xSJk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ERXK-LrYmk

Indirect lighting won't produce shadows ( it was too slow for DX10.0.. DX10.1 is other history grin.gif ).

I hope it could be finished(+SSAO + MTD) before the DW3.. btw... when ends the submission period?
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some progress on SSAO ( Crysis inspiration )

Normal rendering:
    xnormaldiabnormallu5.jpg

With SSAO applied:
    xnormaldiabssaoca5.jpg

SSAO Only:
    xnormaldiabssaoonlycc0.jpg

It's a very fast effect, totally computed on realtime.

edited: Here you can see a video with the final implementation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQXfrMk1WE8

The 3.14.4 will be released soon... Next Monday probably.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Really slick work Jogshy. Very very cool
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    SSAO and global illumunation look hot! excellent work!
  • jbrophy
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    WOW they both look great. I can't wait to get my hands on those. The contest ends April 7th and I am going to use Xnormal for my final smile.gif Side question. I want to add more than 1 light for my scene. A darker moonlight and a light coming from a lantern. Any suggestions? I really want shadows from both.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    very nice work. The AO looks a little rigid though.
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I've used xNormal for normal maps with no problems, and I like the program a lot.

However, every time I try to bake an AO map it comes out completely white, except for one or two dark spots.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Slainean, the default AO settings are no good, maybe post your settings? Try bumping up the rays to 128 for starters.

jogshy, the SSAO looks sweet. Is it possible to add a blur pass to it?
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I found the problem. I finally started getting detail after I unchecked both "Enable weighting" and "Limit ray distance". Phew, had to render it out a couple dozen times to figure it out, though. :\
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff Jogshy!
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    xNormal 3.14.4 released.

- Added SSAO to the DX10 graphics driver.

- Added fast faked indirect lighting to the DX10 graphics driver. Added a new example ( the Cornell box ) to show this new feature.

- Improved the quality of the software raytracing graphics driver ( although is still too slow to be usable ). I have great secret plans for it however.

- Improved a bit the program's speed compiling it using SSE. Notice now a SSE-compatible CPU is required(Pentium 3/4, Intel Core/Core2, AthlonXP, AMD64, Via C3 Nehemiah/C7, etc... ).

- Corrected several bugs.

Btw, the indirect lighting only works well with closed scenes(like a room). Can be a bit slow sometimes. You can enable it setting the intensity slider greater than 0.015. To turn it off just set the intensity in range [0,0.015] ( I did that to save a check box ).

I added a blur pass to the SSAO as somebody suggested. Currently i'm using 64 samples. You can control the AO radius, AO bias and AO intensity. Let me know if you need more control over that.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I can't stand it anymore, I'm installing Vista tonight to try out those DX10 thingies.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    hmm, I don't understand the "new" baking options. a few versions ago i could render ao, normal, color map in one pass. Now I just can choose one map at the "maps to render" tap frown.gif
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work, btw you could add SSAO to openGL under XP as well, as GL always allowed reading depth textures by value.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    hmm, I don't understand the "new" baking options. a few versions ago i could render ao, normal, color map in one pass. Now I just can choose one map at the "maps to render" tap frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, but I had to separate them to save memory.

[ QUOTE ]

btw you could add SSAO to openGL under XP as well, as GL always allowed reading depth textures by value.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, will be easy to port it once is well tuned.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, i'm gonna release the 3.14.5 soon with gamma correction and a new tone map operator(I don't like the current one... is too unresponsive to the exposure)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Hey Jogshy, looking good as ever, impressive stuff man. I've been wanting to ask if you could implement something to help workflow. Me and quite a few others use a little trick when baking normals to prevent the raycasting sampling from unwanted bits of a complicated model without spending ages tweaking the cage. Basically, you "explode" both the highpoly and low poly meshes into chunks, like so :

explodedMesh.jpg

(see also http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=48305&page=9 for a better example, Eric Chadwick's post)

This method works great, but if you're also baking ambient occlusion then the high poly model will no longer occlude itself correctly since there's loads of space between pieces. Would it be possible to generate AO on an "unexploded" high poly mesh, then explode both the high and low poly meshes automatically before baking normals etc.? The chunks of mesh would need to somehow be linked, either by naming convention (might be a bit fiddly), or through the UI. What do you think?
  • EarthQuake
    Theres a really easy fix to this, and i think what you're asking for is quite extreme, not something thats easily automated. I'll recap my workflow here.

After you have your highres, and lowres meshs:
    Uv your lowres
    Make a copy of lowres mesh
    Explode copied version in low, and in highres
    Save out orig version
    Bake from exploded meshes
    Load up the final lowres mesh in the "Simple AO tool", bake a texture the same resolution as your other textures and bam, composite this image in with the other ambocc texture, edit out the shadows on parts that need to move etc.

This could also be done with max etc if you dont like the quality of the simple ao tool for lowres meshes, i usually blur the map a little and spend a few seconds painting out errors. Also be sure to make a layer mask for parts of your mesh that would need to move, so it doesnt have ambocc on it.

Theres actually a few extra practical advantages to doing it this way as well:

1. When using floating geo, you'll often get ambocc artifacts that you need to paint out, if your mesh is exploded and you have seperate layers for high and low frequency ambocc its easier and quicker to paint out these errors that it is when you have the small shadows along with the large shadows both in the same texture.

2. Matching the exact silhouette of the lowpoly is actually a more desireable result than that of the highpoly.
    Example: You have a 32 sided cylinder intersecting with some other shape, if you bake the ambocc directly from the highres you'll get a perfectly round shape. If you bake it from the lowres you'll get a shape that actually fits your model instead of just hurting the mesh by point out how jagged your lowres really is(via the contrast from the 12 sided guy casting a perfectly round shadow, not matching up correctly etc).

Heres a comp of what goes into my lightmaps for textures
    1. AO from exploded
    2. AO from lowres
    3. 1+2 combined
    4. Extra fluff, gradient baked down, NM thrown into crazy bump to create detail map, then overlayed, etc
    5. Final diffuse

lmcomp.jpg
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Me and quite a few others use a little trick when baking normals to prevent the raycasting sampling from unwanted bits of a complicated model without spending ages tweaking the cage. Basically, you "explode" both the highpoly and low poly meshes into chunks

What do you think?
    I think is an interesting technique but cages are still needed. Cages not only control the ray's distance but also ray's direction, which is very critical for objects like cylinders. If you remove cages then it's needed a closest/furthest hit heuristic but complex meshes can give you incorrect results.

On the other hand exploding and non-self-occlusion-AO are incompatible. You need to work with shadow "layers", silhouettes, a lot of Photoshop blur and composite to get coherent occlusion results.

Also there is another problem with the exploding technique.... will be much slower to render than the cages one. The explanation is simple: imagine you have a character with some clothes. The ray test will stop when the ray, from the outside cage, hits the coat. With the exploding technique a lot of pixels in the base skin mesh need to be rendered... and won't be visible in the final model... so you will waste a lot of processing power.

So well... the exploding technique combined with simple-extruded-cages can be an interesting technique, specially for normal maps, but will be slower to render and you will need to perform some tweaks to composite the AO.
  • sinistergfx
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    I like it EQ. It just makes sense and saves time with AO cleanup.
  • Whargoul
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Why not bake your unexploded highpoly first, then transfer it to your game model later as a colour map?
  • EarthQuake
    Whargoul wrote: »
    Why not bake your unexploded highpoly first, then transfer it to your game model later as a colour map?

Well that requires you to have uvs on your highres, or to have a really dense(evenly dense too!) mesh that will give enough quality from just vertex AO. And you want to explode the mesh in the first place so you don't have a bunch of normal map errors anyway. Also you run into the same problem that i explained here with that method:
    2. Matching the exact silhouette of the lowpoly is actually a more desireable result than that of the highpoly.
    Example: You have a 32 sided cylinder intersecting with some other shape, if you bake the ambocc directly from the highres you'll get a perfectly round shape. If you bake it from the lowres you'll get a shape that actually fits your model instead of just hurting the mesh by point out how jagged your lowres really is(via the contrast from the 12 sided guy casting a perfectly round shadow, not matching up correctly etc).
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Released the 3.14.5. It's just a minor update:

- DX10 gamma correction option ( fear the results if you enable it! You will discover that your textures have been never well adjusted! ). Probably you're gonna need some device like the Huey or the Eye-One Display 2 to get good calibrated results.

- DX10 graphics driver's exposure more sensitive

- Corrected some bugs
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    War, that's what I've been doing in Maya 7 all along, but as earthquake said it involves unwrapping the high res. Maya can't take nearly as high geo as Xnormal, so I'm looking for a way to work it in to my current workflow.

Earthquake, that's a nice method you've got there, I'll be giving that a shot for sure.

Jogshy, I never meant not to use cages, I still do in maya. My current workflow is :

1. Uv map highres, and bake AO to texture.

2. Bring in lowpoly (already UV mapped), explode both meshes by fixed amounts (units of 10). Save scene as characterName_baking

3. Tweak cages for best raycast, bake normal + colour (which is the highpoly AO).

4. Apply maps to unexploded low poly, in a seperate file. This way I preserve a scene ready for any rebaking that needs to be done with minimal rework.

BTW, cages in Maya don't seem to control ray direction, only maximum length. No tricks with cylinders available using it.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ok Im having a strange problem with my dom war piece,

when I load up the 3d viewer the hud is not visible and my mouse isnt visible either

progress_16_xnormal_by_SirCula.jpg

it works fine when I just load my low poly but when I load both meshes it goes like this. Ive tried changing mesh scales but it doesnt seem to make any difference.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    well I broke the high poly into 2 seperate meshes and then brought it in and it worked . So I dont know what that was about. I think my computers just run out of ram.
  • Whargoul
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer it when the cage doesn't skew the ray direction. Maya's is pretty nice, because you can just fuck with the cage however you want without worrying about point order, and screwing up the raycasts. Maybe that could be an option in xNormal? ie just use the cage as a ray-limiter and not the ray direction?
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    when I load up the 3d viewer the hud is not visible and my mouse isnt visible either

progress_16_xnormal_by_SirCula.jpg

It seems you are running out or VRAM.

Try to enable the texture compression. Go to the plugin manager, select the DX9 graphics driver(the one you seem to use)... and uncheck the "Use texture compression" option.

On the other hand I see your VRAM usage too high ( 117Mb ). If you own a 128Mb graphics card gonna have problems with that. Try to reduce the size of the textures.

Btw, I see also your highpoly mehs is near 4M polys... not all the cards can manage that quantity. Usually for a 128Mb one the maximum number of tris/verts is 1M. Changing to OpenGL can help, because if a feature is not available by HW enters the emulation software mode ( but fear the speed ).

Try also to update your graphics card's drivers.

And, finally, try to use Vista with DX10... it has a new virtualized VRAM driver model that can help.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    jogshy wrote: »
    It seems you are running out or VRAM.

Try to enable the texture compression. Go to the plugin manager, select the DX9 graphics driver(the one you seem to use)... and uncheck the "Use texture compression" option.

On the other hand I see your VRAM usage too high ( 117Mb ). If you own a 128Mb graphics card gonna have problems with that. Try to reduce the size of the textures.

Btw, I see also your highpoly mehs is near 4M polys... not all the cards can manage that quantity. Usually for a 128Mb one the maximum number of tris/verts is 1M. Changing to OpenGL can help, because if a feature is not available by HW enters the emulation software mode ( but fear the speed ).

Try also to update your graphics card's drivers.

And, finally, try to use Vista with DX10... it has a new virtualized VRAM driver model that can help.

thanks for the reply, Im still having issues with this as youve seen in my dom war thread. I will try enabling texture compression but I dont have any textures yet. This is confusing because I have an 8800GT 512MB and 2GB ram so I just assumed this should be working. Ive tried playing with the size and turning use cage on and off and it isnt making any difference but maybe its all linked to this vram problem.

Edit: Ok I tried opengl and it now runs ok in the viewer but Im still getting the same issues when I click on bake so I will try reset xform in max on the low poly before export...with a new obj exporter that Im looking for now.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Hi, been having a problem baking AO today. I've not been using the simple AO tool (didn't like my meshes) so was just doing it the old fashioned way. The normal maps and texture bakes worked fine, but I get this result with the AO:

aoproblemcy6.jpg

It's using a bucket size of 32, and I've tried different samplings but the same thing happens.

My computer is dual core with 2gb ram and an ati 1950xt using windows xp sp2.

Any ideas? Cheers.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i know its an error and it sucks but.. hmm looks kinda cool
  • ivars
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Recently I've been trying a new approach to occlusion rendering:

- Render the occlusion to high-poly vertex color.
    - Transferring that to my low-poly texture.

Anyone using that tech? Pros / cons , anyone?

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, just curious what you guys think.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tried it yet, but it does seem to be beneficial. For one, the AO calc for vert colors is done on the graphics card, which makes it insanely fast compared to raytraced AO output. The downside is that the lighting solution is only as accurate as the amount of verts in your highpoly. For an organic mesh that might not be an issue, but with rigid body models you might not always have enough to make it look decent.
  • ivars
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    I've noticed Mental Ray crashes when I try rendering to vertecies on meshes above 400k tris....
    Looks like I'm running out of memory, didn't think it should be that demanding.
    But like you say it works pretty well on organic meshes, and it's quite alot faster than rendering directly to texture.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think I might have figured out what is causing the rays to fail on some of my models...Im getting alot of backface hits, does that mean I need to flip my normals on my whole mesh or something?