Home General Discussion

Sega Genesis emulator with tile/sprite ripping?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys,

A few years back I lost all my sprites and environment work I did on a Sega Genesis title. I see people with ripped sprites from Genesis games all over the net, but I have no idea how they got them. Does anyone know of an emulator that can do this?

Thanks!

Replies

• Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, you're taking me back a few years XD. There was a program I remember for removing certain sprites from games, but it never really worked well. Most sprite rips you see are done by hand with screenshots. Some emulators allow you to remove certain layers of graphics, so that helps sometimes.

You might want to look here: http://gsarchives.net/index2.php

What game was it? laugh.gif
  • SuperOstrich
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    It was The Adventures of Batman and Robin for the Sega Genesis. I wasn't on GSA, unfortunately.

Even an emulator that allowed layer separating would be fantastic. Some of the environment work I did would be totally obscured by foreground layers, and the boss character I did for the game was on his own layer. Do you know of an emulator offhand that allows this?
  • Motz
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    try GENS. Worse case, just play the game and take shots no?
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    most sprites are ripped by switching off layers.

grabbing the tiles is a nightmare, as you're just diving into hex of 8x8 pixel blocks and have to cycle the palette around until it looks decent (which it never does)