Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity - Football Stadium - i0S/web - IMAGE HEAVY -

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
This has been on my site for a bit now but I don't think I ever shared it here with you fine folks.

The scene below was created in 3DS Max, textured with Photoshop and rendered in Unity Pro 3.4. Target platform was for web and iOS devices.

Total scene was kept below 50k triangles including sideline props, lighting fx and variant cards for stadium to add specific team branding. The textures consist of diffuse and diffuse with alpha only. All lighting was baked into lightmaps using Unitys included Beast lighting system.

The environment was also set up to be customized via programmed inputs to swap out the end zone cards, mid field logos, goal post wraps and stadium walls wraps with home team logos and names. Each team was given it's own team texture / decal sheet that was called based off the home team loaded and the correct materials were applied at run time. Ad space was also configured to be driven via external script and could be swapped out for localized ad display or to add variation to the ads seen.

Along with modeling (everything except the side line props), texturing, lighting and assembling this scene in Unity I was also responsible for the design of the stadium, new shaders I created in Unity to achieve effects that were not readily available with the default shaders. I had to balance memory constraints and budgets while trying to also achieve the highest quality in visuals available for the target devices.

This was my first experience with both Unity and web/iOS development. I was quickly impressed with Unity and what I could get to run on the web and iOS devices while maintaining a decent frame rate.

gameslam_01.jpg
gameslam_02.jpg
gameslam_03.jpg

gameslam_04.jpg
gameslam_05.jpg
gameslam_06.jpg
gameslam_07.jpg
gameslam_08.jpg
gameslam_09.jpg
gameslam_10.jpg
gameslam_11.jpg
gameslam_12.jpg
gameslam_13.jpg
gameslam_14.jpg
gameslam_15.jpg
gameslam_16.jpg

Replies

• Jesse Moody
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice, I really like the upper dome piece, especially with it lit up for night, looks very good. My only nitpicks would be how repetitive the crowd is and how the white lines on the field are too perfect, even a little edge noise would do wonders, I think.

And I see that you mixed up the order of the audience card people and all, but the cloth differences and similar poses makes spotting the same guys very easy.

Looking good :)

-Elijah-
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good job! does this really run on ios? on a 3gs device? I mean a 4s and an ipad2 can probably run this but I doubt anything below that spec could handle the sheer load of tris and alpha planes. We cant get much more than 10000 tris to run well on older devices where I work and we use unity.
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Hah, this is awesome! I love the "Drinks & Stuff" stand. :p
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Nice :)

I guess drawcalls are also very important, but doens't look like you overdid it there.. just the amount of alpha test, alpha test is really expensive on ios :/
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Shrew81: Yeah the crowd was weak for sure. I was working on a crowd system that would use animations based off a modular crowd system model but it never got implemented and then things went south on the job so never got a chance to fully develop it.

The field lines are indeed super crisp and was also something I was trying to work on. We kept fighting with the mip maps and stuff bled pretty badly so I cut them in and did it the "easy" way so they at least stayed sharp the entire time. Not the best solution but ehhh what can ya do?

Ged: 3GS no. This version was never fully implemented because it didn't run on 3GS. The one that got released was missing all the fx. Mainly bc we were super over budget on texture memory from the UI and how that was handled before I cam onto the project. I mainly focused on the higher end devices first as we were going to have diverging clients but the project never made it that far unfortunately.

Felipe: Yeah that is some hard core "ORIGINALITY" haha... I was working on concepts and ideas for fake brands and left that space available for that but didn't want just blank walls so it got the "Drinks & Stuff" paint job.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack: yeah the benefit of our game is it wasn't like a normal sports game where you actually play the sport and control characters. It was an interactive sports prediction game. Basically you watch the live even, the data / stats from that live event were sent to our servers where we interpreted that data to display the characters on the field in certain poses on plays. So if there was a pass for a touchdown we would show the QB dropping back, the ball thrown and the catch made. Much like the way Tecmo Bowl did it back in the day.

So because of that there was no real animation, physics, etc budgets to worry about stealing resources from.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Cool stuff jesse! Anything you can share about how it was actually set up in unity? I havent run acorss a lot of practical art info on unity projects.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. Let me do a full breakdown when I got some time. Would love to share what I learned. Unity is def a powerful engine and I don't think it gets a fair shake from a lot of people. I still love my UDK but Unity was nice to work with. Easy to learn and easy to customize.

Plus the community is great.
  • gsokol
    Cool man. Looks really nice.

I'm a fan of Unity...we use it at work a lot.

What kinda shader work did you do?
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    What kinda shader work did you do?

I'll share it up and show it when I can get back on my rig. I combined a few things that were default to unity but in seperate shaders and not standard plus added a few other things.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks guys.

Ged: 3GS no. This version was never fully implemented because it didn't run on 3GS. The one that got released was missing all the fx. Mainly bc we were super over budget on texture memory from the UI and how that was handled before I cam onto the project. I mainly focused on the higher end devices first as we were going to have diverging clients but the project never made it that far unfortunately.

Ah thats a shame looks like you did a really good job. It is quite hard to get something to look really beautiful on the 3gs, I sometimes find that after making all necessary models for your game you find there is just no buget left for cool effects or nice shaders on those older devices.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    GED... I can say that the quality settings in Unity are quite helpful to see quality and how your art holds up at the lowest common denominator and least options turned on. I'll have to post some shots of that as well.

I actually am quite proud with how great it all holds up when it is dropped to the lowest quality settings and most of the fx turned off. It was pretty hard to tell the difference in quality. Textures were a bit lower res but it held up nicely which made me quite happy.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! don't think it will run on my 3g though. Are the crowd alpha planes being batched? The alpha redraw rate isn't so good on ios devices, depends which ones, but if they're batched it will make it better. All batching will make things better.

edit: have you tried looking at the optimisation tools in unity? just a suggestion, there is a way of seeing exactly how many vertices and draw calls there are in the camera view, would definitely check it out.
  • TheQiwiMan
    Offline / Send Message
    TheQiwiMan polycounter lvl 12
    Dang Jesse thats under 50K? Thats HAWT stuff man! Nicely done! :)