Offline / Send Message
Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
Latest Update!

dota_2___enchantress_blessings_of_the_wildkin_by_anuxinamoon-d5k0c3m.jpg

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to get some concepts down Kinda annoyed that I canny change the top :< But whatever, I'll just make it a feature some other way. (Or cover it up with a few well places tris!)
    enchantress_ideas_by_anuxinamoon-d5hf260.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    More sketches.

WINGS!

enchantress_ideas_2_by_anuxinamoon-d5hf8f9.jpg
  • Dark Acre Jack
    The one with the top hat reminds me of Moxxxi from Borderlands!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    SPOILERS! Kidding! (i'm so slow at playing that game .____.)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some block outs of my fave three so far... The unicorn one, the wings one and... I dunno the thrid :<

Here is the wings one.
    dota2_polycount_comp___enchantress_sketch_idea_1_by_anuxinamoon-d5hfs7o.jpg
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    Love it, Anuxinamoon. At this point with such a level, no feedback is required, at least at the shapes and design for this. Maybe the colors but I hardly doubt it.

Looking forward for the detailed one :)

Keep it up, cheers!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate :)

Next one blocked out.
    dota2_polycount_comp___enchantress_sketch_idea_2_by_anuxinamoon-d5hg1r6.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    The hat and tie are too silly.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    These are looking great Anuxinamoon, if you dont mind my asking what workflow do you use for blocking these out? looks like a really interesting and organic way of playing with ideas.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

My workflow is pretty much all in zbrush. I import a cube that's been subdivided once, then move and mould that into position. Its pretty quick and I'm able to make any shape I want out of that one box, I even don't need to Dynamesh it (Though sometimes for tricky shapes like the piggytales I had to)

I just treat that blockout stage as a total throw away kinda thing. Once I get all the basic shapes looking good, I'll retopo or build it again to be much cleaner.

Just be messy as hell, work on large forms and go from there :)

I had a hangout open while I was makin them. I might do some more tomorrow.
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the sound of that Anuxinamoon, im not much of a concept artist and often find i have a workflow bottleneck at the greybox stage when im doing personal work. Might see if Mudbox can achieve the same results.

Your three blockouts look great by the way, and although the third version with the hat looks solid it'll likely brush the art style nazi's the wrong way.
  • walt
    Love the second one, altough i personally would like it even more if you would ditch the horn. Very nice work so far. Can't wait to see the end result.
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    I really like the sound of that Anuxinamoon, im not much of a concept artist and often find i have a workflow bottleneck at the greybox stage when im doing personal work. Might see if Mudbox can achieve the same results.

Your three blockouts look great by the way, and although the third version with the hat looks solid it'll likely brush the art style nazi's the wrong way.
    Art style Nazi's? You mean Valve?
    Q: My item just got rejected. Why?
    A: Chances are that it didn't meet one, or several, or possibly all of the guidelines listed below:
    Obscenity: We will automatically reject any obscene items. (Don't even bother.)

Copyright infringement: Even if you made the model yourself, if you used an existing likeness, it’s copyright infringement. We can't and won't put other people's intellectual property in our game, for the simple reason that we don't own it. They do. We will automatically reject any items based on existing intellectual property.

Overall Tone: We may reject an item if we feel it deviates too far from the tone of Dota 2.

Gameplay: Dota 2's characters have distinctive silhouettes that help a player differentiate between them in the heat of battle. Consequently, we tend to avoid items that overtly obscure or confuse these silhouettes.

Technical limitations: Items that require changes in character clothing or facial animation might be considered too costly to produce. Note: This does not mean that we will always refuse an item based on technical complexity. But nine times out of ten, it probably isn't helping your case.

Enchantress is a Dryad of the woods, not a party going leprechaun up for an interview.

No offense to you, Anuxinamoon, your concepts are well done. But I'm afraid they don't really fit for your hero. The other two are debatable, but the hat and tie are a definite no.
  • Ex4000
    Lennyagony wrote: »

Are you really calling valve "Nazi's" because they want to keep the art style and theme of the game? Really?!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair point! I'm not really feeling the top hat one to be honest. But it was fun to mock up.

Going ahead with the winged one for now.
    I'm just testing the level of detail on the feathers on the belt wings.
    testing_level_of_detail_on_feathers_by_anuxinamoon-d5hgrcw.jpg
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    You won't be able to use an alpha channel btw. The edges of those feathers will need to be geometry.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I was wondering that with the alpha leaves and belt bits on the original model. If that's correct, I'll have to do some tricky grouping on the feathers to make it look good without alpha. Tricky but not impossible :)
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    An easy way to check to see if any of the characters support alpha is to check the main .vmt file for the $alphatest 1 line.

In this case enchantress_color.vmt - which is present for this character.
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh she does have alpha. I assumed she didn't, I should've checked.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Oh so whether or not you'll be able to use alpha is based on the hero? If I had known that 2 months ago, this would have saved me a lot of headaches ^^
  • Some Jerk
    I like the whole wing concept, but I feel the wings on her head look a tad odd. Might look even odder as she prances though the forest with a gigantic pair of wings on her head. Have you considered shrinking down the size of them a bit?
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Gorgeous blockouts so far!
    The wings look a bit out of place on the head. On the front they seem fine, but in profile it looks too sharp and straightforward. Maybe give it a bit of a curve?
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Gorgeous blockouts! I feel maybe the winged hair is just a bit too big, maybe scale it down a tad. I'd say try and make the "wings" of the hair go back rather than flowing out on the sides, so it'll more match the original silhouette while still adding and deviating from it.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC wrote: »
    Gorgeous blockouts! I feel maybe the winged hair is just a bit too big, maybe scale it down a tad. I'd say try and make the "wings" of the hair go back rather than flowing out on the sides, so it'll more match the original silhouette while still adding and deviating from it.

Dude totally! I tweaked it some last night though its hard to see from the side. I also curved it more like suggested. Trying to match it more to the original silhouette a bit more.

Thanks for the tips!

testing_level_of_detail_on_feathers_2_by_anuxinamoon-d5hi3t5.jpg

If I get time I'll make the unicorn one too, cause I like the fluffiness of it :)
  • tfmcmahon
    Looking great!

Is it too late to cast a vote for concept #2? :X, either way keep on keeping on.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Damm so many for uni horn fluff? Let me get this wings high done and I'll have a pop and cleaning up the uni corn high.

How long do we have left in this comp again? :p
  • JimoUK
    I really like the modeling you've done so far, it all looks great.

My only concern is the reaction it will get once it heads to the Steam Workshop. This looks to be one of those items that people will either love or hate, only because of how it deviates from the characters background/story.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I understand what everyone is saying. I'm seriously considering changing it up a little to be more fitting to her style and stuff.

I'm planning to redo her nack thing. Just going to do something simpler. Like a little necklace or something.

Anyway updates! Playing with colours and trying to gauge whether the form works from top down angles.

I may have to scale down the belt wings. Too long :<

Let me know what you guys think! All feedback is thoroughly processed and I thank you all for voicing them! Really it's helped me a ton already!

enchantress_ideas_3_by_anuxinamoon-d5hjurz.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Rofl how silly of me to think her hair was her helmet!!! Anyway tweaked it to match her hair and fixed the belt wings.

enchantress_wings_armour_by_anuxinamoon-d5hjxl6.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished source model. Onto low and all that fun stuff

enchantress_wings_armour_source_model_done__by_anuxinamoon-d5hm0rf.jpg
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Wait, why did you get rid of the hair you were making?

If you don't replace the hair, you will have to incorporate the original model and texture into your budget for the head slot. That's fine if you want to do it, but it's a pain in the butt.

The intention with the slots is that whatever you put in there completely replaces what was there, which was the horns and hair model. That's why the base character is bald and the hair is a separate piece.

Oh yeah, I really like this too, I've been following the thread. It looks great combined with her default hair if you do continue in that direction.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait whaaa? I thought the helm goes on top of the hair!?

I orginally was like, oh the helm is her hair so I'll have to make a new hair style too. But then I was like... I don't know...

I searched and searched but couldn't find anything about it on dota dev and all that, and when I saw other peoples enchantress helms they were all like built on top of her hair :<
    So I just assumed that was the case. Anyway I'm going to drop it into the game and preview it, if it replaces the whole hair, I'll make a new one, if it doesn't I wont :D
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait whaaa? I thought the helm goes on top of the hair!?

I orginally was like, oh the helm is her hair so I'll have to make a new hair style too. But then I was like... I don't know...

I searched and searched but couldn't find anything about it on dota dev and all that, and when I saw other peoples enchantress helms they were all like built on top of her hair :<
    So I just assumed that was the case. Anyway I'm going to drop it into the game and preview it, if it replaces the whole hair, I'll make a new one, if it doesn't I wont :D
    It will replace the hair, just export her original hair with the model you made or you can make custom hair.

If you need help with exporting it for the importer I made a video for Maya, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc&amp;feature=g-upl&quot;]From Maya to Dota 2 - YouTube[/ame]

It also goes over what each channel for the 2 required masks do.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Qwiggalo! Yup I've watched your vid a few times. OD I really need to do all that extracting now that valve put the files up on the website?

Okay so custom hair needs to go in... apparently we canny use whats already there.. we gots to make our own :D
  • JacqueChoi
    Online / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ^_^

Nice exploration! I'm keeping an eye on this one!
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    Anuxinamoon, you start to become one of the reasons here I'm losing sleep :)
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Nice feather detailing!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jacque!

Danidem: Hahah you and me both. Waking at 4-5am and going to sleep at 11-12. So addicted.

Thanks Pale-Face!

Anyway finished the low and UV's today for the basic bits. I'm going to do the hair tonight and see how it works out. Then baking!

enchantress_uvw_by_anuxinamoon-d5hn5ck.jpg
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Do I see one sided planes? When you test it if you go through any animations and can see the underside you're going to have to create another side to those planes. There is no culling in Dota 2.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo: Yup yup! I'm just going to bake them as a plane then double them up afterwards.

Made new hair :<

enchantress_hair_by_anuxinamoon-d5hnlbv.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the normal map bake!

enchantress_wings_armour_normal_mapped_by_anuxinamoon-d5hqve4.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    loving this. very strong idea!

- BoBo
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bobo! That's made my day :D

Also.. I have no idea what I am doing. I haven't really rigged anything in Maya before..

lol.jpg

I think its time to get my learning cap on and watch some tutorials hahah

EDIT: I learned!

rigsuccess.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't do much today. Took a break. But setup my texture file and now just playing with base colours to see what works.
    I was doing each texture one by one... what a pain! So I just merged them all together into one massive long sheet. Now I can texture the whole thing at the same time. I'll just cut them up when I am finished.

Let me know what you think of the colours. Trying to stay in theme, but lacking the contrast the original has because I don't have a good place to put the sharp darker browns the original gets to have in the butterfly patterns :(

enchantress_wings_armour_base_colour_test_by_anuxinamoon-d5huzyy.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Can't get some feather spots in there? Like the dark feathers around a Macaw's eye?
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww she's gotta have a butterfly or something, she's all about being 'cute' and stuff. You should decorate the wings somehow, do you plan on making them flap? (you can have custom animations for your set) You'll need to add joints though and npcs have a maximum of 52 bones.

I don't think what you have done in between her wings is all that great.

n596.jpg

A necklace like this that has a big 'bling' on it but make it a 'waistlace' and you can attach any kind of shape that'd work for her character and obviously change it's colors. It can have flex on it too so when she runs it will have secondary animation.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I like the color scheme so far, though some breaking up of the big solid colors like poop said would be cool. Also, smart idea with the combining of maps! I don't know why I didn't think of that. :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Poop! I took your idea and did a little bit of tinkering with it. I'm always so shy to just go nuts but what I did do added lots.

Qwigg: Yup yup! I know! I wanna add more bling but the poly count is pretty damm tight. I'll definitely add some more detail to the belt. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. That pic is gorgeous too :D

Shrew: Thanks man! The merge textures will make your so happy, its ridiculous.

Anyway small update. I pissed around all day with colours and values and patterns. I have two colour schemes I'm looking at. One mimics the original and the other is an autumn/fall variation. I wonder if we can submit colour another as a colour variation along side the original? That would be cool....
    Anyway what do you think so far?

EDIT: Added a bigger winged white variation per Troy's suggestions.

enchantress_wings_armour_testure_pass_1_by_anuxinamoon-d5hyt9f.jpg