Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Hacker Nest Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
karatekodden polycounter lvl 7
Hello people,

Been working on a environment back and forth the last time so I tought about starting a thread for it. The main idea for the environment came up when I saw a concept a while ago and I new directly that I wanted to create an environment in that kind of style. You kind find the concept here:

I guess the concept is based on the Matrix movie, and a part of the Nebuchadnezzar ship. I wanted to use this concept as base for my environment but then also use my own ideas.

Besides the concept I created a moodboard to get a insperation of colors and mood for the environment:

moodboard_01.jpg

Goals
:
*Create an inspring indoor environment with elements from the matrix scene and with submarine/ship features.
*Improve my skills in Cryengine with lighting, paricles, material/shaders etc.
*Contrast in colors (warm/cold) light (bright/dark) mood (cosy/dirty) technology (old/new)
*Final presentation with ambient images and video.

Heres some work in progress screenshots:

This is where I am currently in the progress (Final Shots):

hacker_nest_environment_render_01.jpg

hacker_nest_environment_render_02.jpg

hacker_nest_environment_render_03.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc6lCp5cJ_I"]Hacker Nest Environment Flythrough - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9oZmohwb9o"]Hacker Nest First Person Walkthrough - YouTube[/ame]

Some early screenshots:

wip_09.jpg

wip_11.jpg

wip_21.jpg

Future Plans:
*Adding more personal belongings and stuff in the room and shafts.
*Colorgrading and updating lighting
*Material pass to define materials (metal, plastic, glass)
*More assets like, hanging wires, cables, dirt, chair, security cameras.
*Corridor with windows and vista.
*Video in monitors.
*Some other things (If I got the time.)

I will try to work on the scene and post as often I can.
Feel free to give feedback and critic on the environment and dont hesitate to ask questions. Stay tuned!

Cheers!

Replies

• e-freak
    wow that looks great :)

one thing though: the cloth looks a bit flat - is that just a plane with a normal map or actual geometry?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    beautiful, beautiful work. color me subscribed and inspired
  • karatekodden
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak: The cloth is just a plane, but its using cloth entity so its looking a little bit better when they are in movement. I might be able to use parallax occlusion the give it some extra depth or push the normalmap.

bring me: Cheers dude!
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Could you take a screenshot in the editor with helpers on? It would be nice to see how you are lighting the scene. Are you using irradiance particles?
  • karatekodden
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz: The lighting is nothing special to be honest. A few lights where I got lightsources and a generated cubemap in the middle. Gonna post a breakdown later on.
  • scotthomer
    Great work Joakim. Love the pipes and utility light especially (cos im boring like that).

<3
  • romy
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    that's really great, the only crit i could have is that these little lamps doesn't seems to emit any light. out of that i really like it !
    lights.jpg
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Love the scene!It would be nice if you could make the ventilator shadow a bit more sharp like before.
  • nick2730
    great concept, great execution
  • Pedro Amorim
    I'm liking this scene! Really good matrix vibe to it!
    I would say to add more human elements to the scene to show human presence and stuff.
    But since that is in yout backburner I will wait for the next update.
    :D
  • karatekodden
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshots from the chair:

chair_hipoly.jpg

chair_lowpoly.jpg
  • Lando_Mange
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice man, as always :D
    Maybe shove some personal stuff under the bed there? Boxes or whatnot, just hide it all under the carpet style! :D
  • nicocabbalero
    Offline / Send Message
    nicocabbalero polycounter lvl 15
    look really cool. how did you do you sculpt the damage on the chair?
  • karatekodden
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicocabbalero: Using the standard brushes (standard, pinch, dam_standard, morph) I used a morph target, created a hole and then with the morph target brush trying to bring back the hard edges.Then bending the edges a little bit to get the feeling of its been leather wrapped around padding.

A wrench I,ve been working on for the scene. Was thinking about that the character migh be able to pick it up and hold it in the hand.

Wrench_lowpoly.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    I remember this! I didn't realize you had continued working on it. Looking fantastic!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow this is awesome and the individual assets look really good too!
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    The originality of this Environment is so inspiring! I love this project idea! And your work is awesome as well!
  • OtrickP
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Sex, great stuff man! Loving it so far.
  • Grimmstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Wow! really nice environment so far mate, really liking the overall feel of the environment and I really like the pipes as an asset.

There's a couple of things standing out for me:

- As a few other people have pointed out, the individual lights don't seem to be casting much light around the environment. It would be nice if they were emitting a little of the orange light, which contrasting with the blueish tone of the monitors will look great.
    - It would be nice to get some AO around the legs of the bed where they met the floor. I've always had the same problem with my CryEngine scenes too, and I'm still looking for a solution, so this seems to be more of an engine problem but I'm sure there's got to be a work around.

Also I really like the steam coming from the pipes. Would you mind explaining what method you've used, i.e is it a particle or maybe a placed mesh that doesn't animate? I'm going to be adding smoke / fog to my Server Room environment soon so any insight would be great.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, keep up the good work
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Dude! Loving this, great stuff!

A lot of stuff has been said already that I would change it myself, keep posting and I'll try and be more helpful as well.

Again, great stuff, finish it!
  • AlexKola
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    Epic! Love the cold gritty feel.
  • Zer0Naught
    Incredible stuff, I wasn't aware CryEngine 3 could pull this sort of stuff off.

The wrench is great too. Are the indents in the handle modelled? Or is it a bump?

Edit: Maybe adding some drooping wires/plastic piping might look alright? The scene looks great so far.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Zer0Naught wrote: »
    Incredible stuff, I wasn't aware CryEngine 3 could pull this sort of stuff off.

Why not? I believe it has been proven countless times CE3 can pull any theme you want, given you know the tools.
  • karatekodden
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Grimmstrom:Thanks! Yeah good point with the lights. Yeah the AO in cryengine is a little bit tricky sometimes. I havent really started with playing around with the setting yet. I dont know if u are aware of all the different ao settings? Rather then playing around with the AO in the time of day, you can open up the console and type in ssao or ssdo for more AO settings and play around with those values.

For the steam its using a paricle effect with an emitter. I guess it depends what kind of fog you want? If theres a moving fog i sugesst you using particles. If u just want some distance fog you can always use a fogvolume.

Helder: Thanks buddy! I will keep u posted!

Zer0: Cheers! The indents are modelled. Yeah I was defenilty thinking about adding more wires as in the concept, even if i dont want to go crazy and make it to noisy/messy.

Heres a close up screenshot of the shelf:

shelf_lowpoly.jpg

Cheers for all the feedback. Stay tuned for more updates!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    romy wrote: »
    that's really great, the only crit i could have is that these little lamps doesn't seems to emit any light. out of that i really like it !
    lights.jpg

this suggestion is exactly the stuff that makes games look... gamey. so, be careful.

keep it subtle, go for more specular lighting and contrast, get away from "spotty" diffuse lighting.
  • Miche
    So nice to see it nearing completion! I remember when it only was a young pillar :)

Keep it up brah
  • Zer0Naught
    [HP]: I'd seen the trailer of CE3, but I'm just astounded everytime I see something new. Is it really the best engine out there? It looks that way.

Kodden: I'll be checking back on this thread as I'm loving it all. Since I'm new to all of this (game props/environment) I'm a little confused about polycount. What is classed as low poly and what isn't?
  • Havoc89
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Simply amazing, I cannot wait to see more.
  • Rageleet
    Offline / Send Message
    Rageleet polycounter lvl 6
    this is really inspiring! im not sure if im seeing it correctly in the images, but is there a fan blade behind that vent in the roof, if so those shadows would look pretty amazing in real time (y) I'm thinking fly through? ;):D
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    saw this on the WAYWO thread, its super rad. only thing that kinda made me stop is this is in a ship? flying and moving around? why would things be on wheels then? at least thats my thought process on it, id imagine things would be bolted down somehow. also, your monitors look nice and bright, id imagine they would have some nice smears of grease/finger prints on them.

other than that this piece oozes a gritty grimy type feeling. nice work!
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, this is looking great! Nice composition and lighting.
    Am I the only one who's noticed the Polycount logo in the middle of those cupboards?
  • karatekodden
    Offline / Send Message
    Zero: Thanks! Its aways a matter of choice. I guess its just about finding the engine that works best for you. But Cryengine is a very powerful engine and quite straightforward when it comes to environment art.

Havoc: Cheers dude!

Rageleet: Thanks! Yes u are right. And what u cant see in the image is that its already moving in the engine. I already have a few moving elements in the scene such as particles, moving cloth, video on monitors, fan rotating, dust particles etc. Im defenilty gonna create a flytrough when im done with the scene, that was the plan.

Duoxan. Hah its true, but i guess a lot of things would be flying around if it wasnt bolted. At least the wheels have breaks on them. Yeah the monitors are still wip. Want to have some videos displayd on the monitors. Thanks for the feedback.

Danpaz: Thanks. No i've noticed the logo it aswell. He must be crazy that guy who did it ;)
  • jasonroels
    The 2 monitors near the bed seem to be weirdly positioned, if the user needs to be using those whilst laying down that is.
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I'd like to see more computer towers strewn around.

RyuY9.jpg

Note the ones stashed under the bed.
  • Zer0Naught
    As for the poly count?
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Looking very nice! Love the texturing!

It would be nice to see some of those monitors rotated slightly to add some imperfection.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    This is incredible, really great lighting too :)
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    liking this a lot - consider me subscribed!
  • Rageleet
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i was just wondering whats your pipeline and software packages for your bakes/textures they just seem really high quality and look like u have got so much out of your bakes.

Because i use 3d max and iv just started focusing more on hard surface modelling and when i bake, texture just never get that high level of detail im looking for especially with normal maps, i always get really crap normal bakes :thumbup::poly124:
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    If your looking for some inspiration and a different take on computing/hacking you should check out Serial Experiments LAIN. Its got some great reference material in the later episodes. Its also a fantastic series. Give me a buzz if you wanna watch it and I will bring it into work on Monday :P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CXmEUwvgM&quot;]Serial Experiments Lain OP(HD) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmN_gYXcTH8&quot;]Lain AMV - The Shadow of Cells - YouTube[/ame]
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 10
    Hey karatekodden,

I created a few feedback images for you see what you think...

Thought that it might be interesting to push your image a bit more toward the colder tones, so quickly tested it in photoshop. Also mocked up a stronger light from the computers, removed some of the orange glowing lights and a monitor or two to reduce the amount of focal points. Added some more very rough shadows and rim light to the side of the swivel seat.
    coloursmall.jpg

Here is some specific feedback on the scene. hope that you find it useful.
    specifics.jpg

Cheers
    Chris
  • WarrenM
    I love the bright screens in Coridium's paint over. That works really well as a focal point.
  • Grimmstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    This is one of the reasons that I miss working with @Coridium. He provides such excellent feedback. Often your left feeling like you've got tons left to do but in truth Chris's feedback is going to push your environment to the next level
  • karatekodden
    Offline / Send Message
    Rageleet: Im using 3ds max for the normalmap baking. And both 3ds max and xnormal for the ambient occlusion, and offcourse photoshop for texturing :) Theres nothing fancy about my baking in 3ds max, im using the regular stuff and with a cage around the lowpoly!

Ichll3d: Cool, i will check it out. I just looked trough "Ghost in the shell" the other day. Guess u have seen it. Got some pretty cool stuff in it as well.

Coridium: Now thats what I call feedback :) Awsome! This is exaclty that kind of feedback I need to push the scene to the next level and make it look even better. Cheers!
  • Rageleet
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply, ah nm im doing the same just sound like i need to work on my cageness :P haha, i love the lighter emmisive version very sexy (y)
  • ausernottaken
    I can't say I agree with you, Coridium, on getting rid of the warmer tones.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    imo the blue tint is a good idea. That place looks like it could be underground, and theres a lot of metal. Also it has a wet feel to it, and all those things point to a cold climate, which I think the bluer tone would complement a lot.
  • Zer0Naught
    Loving the WIP and all the criticism. I like how you've added tonnes more detail. Is it all still playable? Or are the poly's running through the roof?

IchII3D: Agreed on Lain, my fav anime series.

Edit: I think the colder colours look great glowing from the screens, other then that I'm loving the warm colours. Gives it a sense of hiding and how they (who ever 'they' are) may treasure the light. But thats just me!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looks really great, liking that paint over a lot too :)

I agree about the monitors emitting more light. I'm working with 3 at home and when I turn off the lights I can still see the entire room :P
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Sorry I gotta go with Auser on this one... definitely prefer the original. The screens look cool in the paintover but just prefer the warmer tones.