Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Terranigma

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
Hello guys and folks.
I wanted to pay tribute to Terranigma.
Its going to be a Inverted *mario galaxy* meets Bastion artstyle, with strong influences of Journey's scenery (the pillars, temples and artifacts).

The diorama will be based on the game's cover.
Terranigma is a SNES game that got released pretty late, and never got out in USA due to religious views.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terranigma

I think this is a fantastic Contest/Challenge, because I need to focus on scene and environment composition without caring on individual assets (or in that matter of fact, spending hours doing each asset) And id like to get involved in something quick (3 weeks time) Making assets with a 100~ triangle count and 64x64px sounds neat.

Here I have done a quick thumbnail sketch. Id like to make a quick silhouette for environment pieces. Ark will be in the scene, but will also be the only character in the scene. Id like to focus on the environment.

initialIdea.jpg

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    that's wild looking. I'm in NA so I've never heard of the game so I look forward to seeing how this comes out.
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    I look forward on doing it too haha, I never get to finish anything!
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you doing? I followed your environment contest, I thought you guys did a stellar job.
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made a quick Asset List, The background/blue environment was a bit abstract, and I could not tell the difference between mountain, rock or crystal. So I had the pleasure of finding this pixelated retro concept art.

assetsIdeasList.jpg

Asset List:
    Ark, Pillar, Wooden Temple Sticks
    GreatWall, GreatWall2, Cloud#1 and #2
    Temple, Towers, Lava Environment Mesh
    Dry Lava Environment Mesh, Snow Environment Mesh
    Crystals #1 and Crystals #2

The complete list is 14, 15 with a skybox.

If I complete the assets and scene, I may do some more assets.

Thanks for the artist calciumtrice.tumblr.com
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    So! It turns out that all the amazing ideas I had, was, well, either ambitious or pretty hard to execute!
    Making a diorama that can be seen at all angles, makes the inverted gravity hard, and the game cover, even do it works very nicely as an 2d image, is well hard to execute as interactive 3d, because even do, they are looking up into the inside of earth, ark and the objects around him, lie around as a ring. This was again very hard to execute due to the *diorama must be viewed at all angles*

I did a lot of experiments on how I could do this with planes and towers, and it turned out that In the end I shall try a easier approach. I do know how to give the world an inverted curve sense that I adored in the original game in map view, but its something that will be done towards the very end with a maya deformation while having all objects as a group.

I'll be focusing on this screenshot of this game, but, with the assets list that I still had in mind around the tower. So there will be a great wall, crystals, clouds and ark standing on the pillars with the sticks around. I love the art cover of the game, so I will see what I can do to stick to that as much as I can.

towerGeo.jpg

Also, can we use different textures on different objects? on sketchfab? this is to use patterns, but on the steps for example, I need one specific texture just for the front, and another one for the sides, same goes for the tower.
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to have a feel of the scope, or, the environment. And I did a quick map layout, maintaining the lowest triangulation possible. I must say I am super happy with this!

mapLayout.jpg

I did again a test with the curvature effect. And most worked well, but the lava, cause to the low triangulation, dint agree with the rest of the geology. So The lava has to have the mesh connected to the land.

curveEffectTest1.jpg

Next changes, I think there is way too much lava, and therefore, there should be more mainland towards the back, and lava in the front. Id like to add the 5th tower while I am at it. I am doing this fast so i can have an idea of the scope, and what I am doing. The count is 2646 with the entire island atm, the towers are expensive do, 388 triangles, but its, for me at least, considered a main asset. Just like the character.
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed Mesh, added 5th tower and added back land, made every island and the lava as a whole diorama piece. Next is making the environment just 500 Triangles! Its currently 850.

curveEffectTest21.jpg
  • robert.nally
    Offline / Send Message
    robert.nally polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think the entire environment needs to be 500. You should check out the contest rules again I think.

http://www.polycount.com/vgremix/

I think environment can be as big as you want just keep the individual oebjects(non-hero pieces) to about a 100 tris.
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. The environment was a single mesh, but now that you say so, makes sense.
    After looking at the other entries, it does make sense to spice up and mix things together (as a remix), I do not see however how I could merge terranigma with Bastion, but I do see how it could merge very nicely with Journey. Terranigma: Journey of Ark? Hmmm
  • negiman
    Hey folks , I'm just wondering are you still doing this ? Because recently I 'm planning to remake some
    kinda 3d things about Terranigma .
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Negiman, Terranigma was one of my most favorite games! I got distracted on self teaching on other areas instead of this, however, you can certainly do this with no problem, let me know as I would be super keen to see some fan work