Home Technical Talk

How to change the pivot point hotkey in maya

So apparently the insert key broke on my keyboard. Is there a way to change the pivot point hot key in maya from 'insert' to something that I can define?
I know it's 'home' on a mac, and my home key works fine on that keyboard. But it won't go into pivot mode when I hit the 'home' key. I've searched the hot key editor list and the only thing having to do with pivot that I can find is 'center pivot.'

Any help would be appreciated. It's kinda annoying not being able to change the pivot point. :P

Thanks!

Replies

• Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    In the Hotkey Editor go to Tools and change "EnterEditMode" to the key you want. That should do it.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Hold down d to go into pivot editing mode (this is default you don't need to change anything). I never use insert. It's all the way on the other side of the keyboard. Useless button placement.
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    isn't D temporary pivot editing? It doesn't actually allow you to change the pivot point of the object. It just resets when you select a different object.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Um, nope. It just allows you to edit while d is held down and go back to normal editing on release. The same as tapping insert and then tapping it again. The pivot changes are permanent. Unless my maya has been doing it wrong for the past couple years.
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    oh cool. I just opened Maya and confirmed your post. In XSI it's a temporary pivot change. I remember Maya working the same way, but it's been a while since I've seriously modeled anything in Maya.

cheers
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the tip, Frump - I've been using Insert for like 2 years now, heh. Will switch over to D now, dunno how I never even pressed it by accident so far, and in fact it's amazing I didn't overwrite it with a custom assignment yet! :)
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Seaseme wrote: »
    isn't D temporary pivot editing? It doesn't actually allow you to change the pivot point of the object. It just resets when you select a different object.

long ago D key was temporary pivot for object mode but as far as i know from 2008 the d key does permanent pivot editing for object mode.

for component(vertex,edge,face) selection D key is temporary. also in 2009 when you select component mode and press D you should also see a tiny blue circle on top of the manipulator and clicking it will make that the fixed pivot for any further component selection of any object. it is a toggle so you can click it again and any vertex selection u do again the pivot will go back to center of selection. the temporary component pivot is very handy for posing a character without actually rigging it.
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    long ago D key was temporary pivot for object mode but as far as i know from 2008 the d key does permanent pivot editing for object mode.

for component(vertex,edge,face) selection D key is temporary. also in 2009 when you select component mode and press D you should also see a tiny blue circle on top of the manipulator and clicking it will make that the fixed pivot for any further component selection of any object. it is a toggle so you can click it again and any vertex selection u do again the pivot will go back to center of selection. the temporary component pivot is very handy for posing a character without actually rigging it.

Yeah.. I think the last time I seriously used Maya was version 7. So.. things must have changed.
  • hollaAtMe
    Thanks for all the tips! :D
    Just tried the 'D' method. Like that MUCH better than insert.
    And thanks Seaseme for the hotkey name for it in the editor. Dunno why I never thought of "edit mode" as being the name for changing the pivot point. :P

Thanks again everyone! :)