Home Technical Talk

Best technique for creating textures/Materials?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
illbleed polycounter lvl 6
I'm curious to what technique everyone uses to create textures like rock or terrain?
Do you hand paint yours? do you apply normal maps?

Personally i'm trying to figure out what the benefit of using certain techniques are.

For example the way i texture my models right now is simply modeling, uving, photoshop, then bringing back into maya.

Now, i see that there's a lot of different ways to do this. It's really difficult to keep up with. I'm hoping everyone can share their favorite, and why they choose that method.

I want to learn how to texture using substance designer/painter.. except i'm having issues getting that to work and my trial is about to run out.

Other ways i've seen is painting textures in Mudbox or Zbrush. Does mudbox allow you to paint like you would in substance painter? will you be able to bake normals as well as your painted texture?

TLTR: What is your method of choice for texturing and creating normal maps? why? What art style do you choose for this, cartoon style/realistic/etc.?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are many ways to texture things.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/EnvironmentSculpting
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/TexturingTutorials

Depends on many factors though. Best thing is to show an example of what you want to achieve, and an example of what you've done so far.

Art style choice is a larger question, you choose this for the whole game you're making. Usually chosen by the lead artist and/or art director.

But if you're making assets for an existing game, then you need to match that style.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are many ways to texture things.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/EnvironmentSculpting
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/TexturingTutorials

Depends on many factors though. Best thing is to show an example of what you want to achieve, and an example of what you've done so far.

Art style choice is a larger question, you choose this for the whole game you're making. Usually chosen by the lead artist and/or art director.

But if you're making assets for an existing game, then you need to match that style.

Thanks create points. I've been doing some research and from what i'm looking at i'd really like to do PBR texturing. Unfortunately my trial of substance designer ran out so i didn't get to experiment with it. texturing in mudbox looks really cool. I'm also seeing prograams like Mari and 3Dcoat. I'm not sure which is the best out of these 3.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PBR is just a concept. If you understand it you can create textures with any painting software at all. We've even used plain ol' Photoshop for this purpose for 10+ years before all these newer apps popping up, which is only recently.

So jump right in! It doesn't matter what you use, what matter is for you to get started and gain experience. Software becomes a minority factor once you have the experience and skills you're about to learn.
  • 7Nero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7Nero null
    Photoshop either get an image or make it from scratch, sue find edges under the blend mode
    "multiply" set opacity to around say 15%, & use 2-3 different scenes of embossing, also at different opacities. Your normal maps will look fantastic.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DireWolf wrote: »
    PBR is just a concept. If you understand it you can create textures with any painting software at all. We've even used plain ol' Photoshop for this purpose for 10+ years before all these newer apps popping up, which is only recently.

So jump right in! It doesn't matter what you use, what matter is for you to get started and gain experience. Software becomes a minority factor once you have the experience and skills you're about to learn.

Really helpful information thanks!!! I actually landed on using mudbox. Im really bad with texturing in photoshop so i feel mudbox will be really helpful since im not the greatest when it comes to 2d art.