Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA 2] - Beastmaster - Tamarin

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
endlg.jpg

***edit*** This storyline about natural fibers and no animal leathers will not work with my current design so I'll come up with a different idea - I'm still staying away from actual recognizable animal parts - just need the hides for beastmaster to look like a real bushman.

So the idea is that Beastmaster was sitting by the campfire one night with some of his animal friends.

All was going well until one of the animals pointed out that most of Beastmasters equipment was made from dead animals.

At first Beastmaster shrugged it off and was dismissive saying that he had collected all of his leathers and furs from the bodies of slain enemies. This answer was true and Beastmaster had never felt a moral conflict over the issue in the past, but now that the question had been raised it made him think. These animals around the fire were all friends and knew him well, but what would a new animal acquaintance think? First impressions are really important and Beastmaster did not want to come across as some regular schmo in the habit of frequently killing animals for food and skins.

This change in attitude led Beastmaster to search out new materials for clothing and armour and develop methods to weave fabrics from natural plant fibres. He also created tools from nature for woodworking and gardening. Thus, a whole new set of Beastmaster items have become available.

-=Original Post=-

Starting with some concept sketching.

axe1mj.jpg

Replies

• Some Jerk
    Remember that axe isn't on the list of heroes allowed in this contest.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Jerk wrote: »
    Remember that axe isn't on the list of heroes allowed in this contest.

Crap.

Off to a flying start.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    drow1w.jpg

Drow Ranger - from SPACE.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay,

After some research I have decided to go with Beastmaster. I'm going to try and make a set of "au natural" accessories - starting with hair - no bones or horns or anything just plain jane hair on your head type hair.

hairf.jpg
  • Lyaksandr
    I like the direction you're going with this.

I considered doing something for Beastmaster since it seems a bit strange for someone who can speak to animals to kill them for fur and horns to adorn himself with (unless they're already dead, I guess?), but no interesting alternatives really jumped out at me.

Anyway, nice hair. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm was thinking about wood armor with some stone weapons. My question is what can this guy actually make from random stuff found in nature? He has apparently come across a can of orange marking paint discarded by a reckless surveyor and wisely chosen to spray it on his face and body. Here is a small update:
    web3i.jpg
    web2fo.jpg

Had issues getting the export axis fingered out, but after waving my arms in the air for about 1/2 hour and making many strange and elaborate hand gestures, the problem is solved.

greatsuccessa.jpg
    greatsuccesso.jpg

Although my mask textures don`t appear to be having an effect.

Up next - weapon downgrade. Going back to the stone age.

I`m also thinking this nature lover might make some stuff from hemp.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated weapon downgrade.

448 triangles for 2 weapons - still have two triangles to burn!

web1gd.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I love your textures =O So nice!

Looking good mate ;D
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Wow great work!
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Okay, here is the start of the arms. 340/350 triangles so I`ve got 10 triangles to maybe add some more leaves.

image removed
  • Managor
    It's most probably not a can of paint but red soil. Soil with iron oxide in is has been a great paint for a long time so it's probably not as "scavengy" as you think.

As for the wooder armor... eh. They are practical sure, but something seems off in them. Maybe you should improve the texture some way. Also get rid of the leaves. He's not treant protector so the leaves would fall off for not being able to live. Not only that but it interferes with the color palette.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it needs some work. I`ll take another stab at it - maybe lop the branches off and add some straps to hold the wood in place. Thanks for the crits.
  • Beezow
    I think the cartoony branches are a bit much, maybe get rid of those and make the wooden armor a bit more practical looking, otherwise it's looking great.
  • Graham
    Cool weapons, I like the minimalistic textures.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    :)
    Your doing great, I also enjoy the minimalistic look your going for with these.
    Really liking the weapon over all.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    So I went back to the head and created a wood and stone mask. I`m trying to tie it in more with the weapon and design a similar set of arm guards. I really appreciate the feedback. You`re thoughts?

image removed
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like the direction is not focused so I have returned to the concept stage to gain, hopefully, a more cohesive design.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is basically the same hair as before, only with horns.
    hair2e.jpg

This was another texturing option that I tried out using the pattern found on his belt to break the symmetry a bit.

hair3qx.jpg
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep making the head attachment :p

helmet2i.jpg
    helmet3ef.jpg
    promoc.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    really liked the new horn it have a nice sillhoutte in game, imho the front part of the helm appears too big for the character

keep the good work =]
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    really liked the new horn it have a nice sillhoutte in game, imho the front part of the helm appears too big for the character

keep the good work =]

Thanks for the encouragement. I did try to push the silhouette with the horns. It looks alright in game but up close you can see that I didn't put a lot of effort in. I think there is a balance between looking good in game and close up as well. I have been looking at the workshop and most of the popular stuff has good detail - even if you wouldn't see it in game play.

BTW, your set of Beastmaster is amazing. I'll have to study how you were able to get the animals rigged and in game. It looks like a lot of work - but definitely worth it.

I've reached a point where I am more familiar with the character and with the DOTA 2 import and shaders but the deadline is approaching and I need to settle into an idea pretty quick. I guess that's why I see some teams of concept/3d guys - it's not a bad idea for a guy like me with 1,000 mediocre ideas to partner with someone with 1 good one. For now I'm going to settle and push myself as a concept guy.

The new Beastmaster concept is 1/2 complete and I pretty much know where I want to go with the belt. I liked the long braid following the last helmet I did, so I'm going to go with that idea but not the helmet. There is a bunch of animated pony tail bones on the rig that don't appear to be driving anything atm. I'm going to shave him bald and have this big pony tail coming off his bald head making use of those bones. The shoulders and arms are roughed in and for the horn on his side I'm thinking of switching it out for a sword. The weapon is more scythe than axe but I think it will make the silhouette interesting. That's it for my weekend - blah. How do they pass so quickly?

newconcept.jpg
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to decide on a weapon. Here are a couple of ideas. Maybe I should stick with something more similar to an axe shape.

weaponsz.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Agh I love them both equally!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement. I did try to push the silhouette with the horns. It looks alright in game but up close you can see that I didn't put a lot of effort in. I think there is a balance between looking good in game and close up as well. I have been looking at the workshop and most of the popular stuff has good detail - even if you wouldn't see it in game play.

BTW, your set of Beastmaster is amazing. I'll have to study how you were able to get the animals rigged and in game. It looks like a lot of work - but definitely worth it.

I've reached a point where I am more familiar with the character and with the DOTA 2 import and shaders but the deadline is approaching and I need to settle into an idea pretty quick. I guess that's why I see some teams of concept/3d guys - it's not a bad idea for a guy like me with 1,000 mediocre ideas to partner with someone with 1 good one. For now I'm going to settle and push myself as a concept guy.

The new Beastmaster concept is 1/2 complete and I pretty much know where I want to go with the belt. I liked the long braid following the last helmet I did, so I'm going to go with that idea but not the helmet. There is a bunch of animated pony tail bones on the rig that don't appear to be driving anything atm. I'm going to shave him bald and have this big pony tail coming off his bald head making use of those bones. The shoulders and arms are roughed in and for the horn on his side I'm thinking of switching it out for a sword. The weapon is more scythe than axe but I think it will make the silhouette interesting. That's it for my weekend - blah. How do they pass so quickly?

newconcept.jpg

any question you have just let me know, i like to help =]

and your weapons are really good, why i cant create things like that? hahaha
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Make all 3 of them in time as for the concept I like 2nd concept weapon, nice work go go go.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    Make all 3 of them in time as for the concept I like 2nd concept weapon, nice work go go go.

Here is the 2nd concept weapon. Haven't tried it in game yet.

Painted with a mouse because my wacom pen is MIA. My infant son is the prime suspect but I have no idea what he did with it. He does frequently put things in the recycling bin and garbage bag so fingers crossed that it is still in the house somewhere.

weapon2p.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    =O Amazing weapon! Your painting skills and use of colour! Nice gradation and values too!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work man, i need to agree with Anuxi, your paintings skills are amazing =]
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words! Still working on it when I get free time.

web8s.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Cool weapons, maybe do option 1 in the future if you find time :).
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Those axes are beautifully painted :o
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Those weapons both look great. Best of luck finding your pen!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving those weapons and I hope you find your pen, I'd turn the house upside down, unless you have a spare. :)

LOL at the shades nice touch.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    lol, that hair is way to hilarious! xP
    nice weapon!
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone. It is nice to have the extra two weeks.

The wacom pen is gone. I picked up a Hanvon for $60 with a 8x6 work surface which is pretty great. My wacom was a 5x4. Support for the Hanvon is hit and miss - with a lot of miss, but $60 is in my price range.

web9x.jpg

I'm thinking about leaving the standard belt...
  • Pemaktitkis
    Offline / Send Message
    Pemaktitkis polycounter lvl 7
    are u serious about these shades? :)
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    are u serious about these shades? :)

Not sure yet. Maybe I can try a different hair style if the shades ruin it. I downloaded the new Beastmaster mesh from Valve and I have to say it is much improved. Here is a quick screen grab of my items on the new mesh.

webah.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything about this is incredible except for those glasses! I think some kind of goggles or facemask would look good but the glasses just seem a bit too 90s action hero to me and kind of takes away from the rest of the set (which, once again, is amazing).
  • gwaga
    I think you need to go back and look at Dota's art style. This is way off, at least the hair and sunglasses. Definitely won't make it through the workshop.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, thanks guys for the feedback. At this point I'm not thinking about winning but hopefully be accepted in the online store. I will be dropping the glasses.

Here is a possible face mask? It's based on Beastmasters bird.

webf.jpg
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome colors. Glad you dropped the glasses, your submissions would probably be turned down because of that.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    So much better!
  • Pemaktitkis
    Offline / Send Message
    Pemaktitkis polycounter lvl 7
    now it looks great!
    hope to see it in the dota store too
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Nice texture work:)
  • gwaga
    Please change the hair. He is not a redneck. This is a fantasy game, check his lore. Removing glasses was a fantastic first step.
  • Naso
    I think the hair is fine and I do like the new mask tho.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. The hair and glasses are gone! The bird mask was okay but it didn't fit well with the other objects. I would likely have to start with the bird mask and design a set around that - maybe I will. I have a tonne of spin off ideas from this project.
    finaleg.jpg
    gameitems.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking the cap and yea design a set around the mask would be great I was liking It.

So no normal maps on this just straight texturing? either way it is looking good.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    Liking the cap and yea design a set around the mask would be great I was liking It.

So no normal maps on this just straight texturing? either way it is looking good.

Yeah, it is just a straight diffuse. I'm going to try and work with the built in shaders to compensate for the lack of a proper normal map.

If some one could walk me through the process of viewing all of the objects in game simultaneously I would be eternally grateful. I know the basic idea is to pack the files in the DOTA2 format and then put them in the game directory. My biggest question right now is how to strip the old files out using DOTA2SLASHER. I don't even know where to find this utility. My next question is how to pack the texture files and finally a question about how to set up the folders so Dota can find the new files. I can probably work this out given enough time but if someone can help me out that would be even better.

18917803.jpg
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Someone wrote this in the main dota 2 thread and I saved it so I wouldn't have to search for it again, it's the easiest method for in-engine previews I've found and it worked well for my set. Just make sure you do this on dota 2 test so that you don't screw up your main game.
    You can do it all on dota 2 test.
    1:
    unpack Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\pak01_dir.vpk using GCFScape
    you must unpack all files pointing to \dota 2 test\dota, in a manner that the game dont need any file from the compiled ones. so unpack all files.
    after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually)

2:
    import your files with dota 2 test as you would do normally on dota 2 beta. You can also use your alredy imported files on the dota 2 beta filesystem. Just use the same logic and copy the files to the same folders on the dota 2 test.

3: find the geometry folder as the exemple :
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\yourhero\crazynumber\yourit em
    now copy (its very important that u copy and dont erase this files) the content and paste here:
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\yourhero
    now rename the deafult files so u can use the respective slot with your own geometry, rename your autored files to the deafult ones and you are set.
    After this you will see all your geometry loaded ingame on all possible views including loadout.
    i got most of this info from this own tread andTvidotto's workshop tread. but i had to smash my head for some hours to get it done.

Limitations :
    You cant use a slot if there is not a deafult item on the hero. For exemple : i cant use my "back" item on Spirit breaker, since there is not a deafult back item on him.