Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept tank carrier

hi, just finished the high poly model of my tank concept, did a quick texture and a scene render. I plan on creating a low poly version of this.

heres a bit about the tank:
A futuristic tank concept made for carrying soldiers into the battlefield. Tank is equipped with a rail gun, features two entrances and exits in the front and back. Tank is designed for desert warfare coping with desert terrain and climate.

all crits are wellcome,

tank_storm_hi.jpg
tank_carrier_1_hi.jpg
tank_carrier_2_hi.jpg
tank_carrier_3_hi.jpg
tank_carrier_4_hi.jpg

details
detail_clay_1.jpg
detail_clay_2.jpg
detail_clay_3.jpg
detail_clay_4.jpg

concept sketches
20tf13p.jpg
jr4486.jpg

Replies

• bounchfx
    I think it looks great.

out of curiosity, how many polys is something like that?
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that is some mighty fine work.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Damn fine tank. Is that pillar there for size?
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    dis is nice!

like the "real" shots a lot.. are they photo based or how are they made?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    that's very cool.
    are those very fine details just heightmaps, shown on the grey renders? please tell me you didn't zbrush that :)
  • boogotti
    hey thanks guys for all you're comments :)

bounchfx its not much as i didn't need to zbrush it, its around 5 millon mostly the tracks

InProgress yea that pillar is a size of a person, its quite a big tank made for carrying troops of soldiers.

rollin the render scene is abit of photo 3d and painting, here the cg elements i used:
    clay_hi.jpg

MoP yea there just bump maps, didnt need to zbrush it because the detail wasn't too deep could get away with a bump map :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice renders cool design
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    This is great man, it looks freaking real in the renders.
  • aniceto
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    awesome! nice renders
  • culturedbum
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    SWEEEEEET!!!

Any chance of you making a low poly version?
  • DrillerKiller
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    looks great man. i do love a good tank design. one thing though, i think the scale is a bit hard to read, maybe something more readably human size would help.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think the design of this vehicle would prolly have its size closer to a BLT's.

It looks ace though.
  • X-Convict
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent work! The bottom of the tread (plates) in the first render are too similar to the body of the tank in color/texture IMO, but it looks great in the following renders. I think if it was darker like in the concept it would help contrast that area to the body more. Really cool otherwise!
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    not trying to be an asshole here but the armour is really poorly designed. The sloping would bounce incoming HEAT into the ground under the tank rather than away from it, and the back of the thing has a fucking epic shot funnel which would completely fuck the turret. Apart from that it has a pretty massive horizon profile with no apparant means to defend itself from frontal attack. Put it this way, if someone can design a tank which is smaller, and attack head-on, it's all over because the actual hull blocks the gun from firing down at it, if you get me. It's a great model but an ill-considered design imo.
    Just from a technical standpoint.
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Harry wrote: »
    not trying to be an asshole here but the armour is really poorly designed. The sloping would bounce incoming HEAT into the ground under the tank rather than away from it, and the back of the thing has a fucking epic shot funnel which would completely fuck the turret. Apart from that it has a pretty massive horizon profile with no apparant means to defend itself from frontal attack. Put it this way, if someone can design a tank which is smaller, and attack head-on, it's all over because the actual hull blocks the gun from firing down at it, if you get me. It's a great model but an ill-considered design imo.
    this is art. it's not meant to be technically possible
    http://gatoescondido.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/the_persistence_of_memory_1931_salvador_dali.jpg
    hence this thing.
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    I suppose we should ignore all anatomy criticisms then

(stock response)

Until the OP clarifies that he has no intention of making a plausible machine of war, i stand by my point.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Harry its a tank carrier, so its probably not designed as a front line machine, and would deploy tanks to defend, using artillery turret for long range defense of its deployed tanks.
    and the downward sloping front is a great visual design that tanks do have although not all the way to the top, but they dont have forward facing ramps, and this design sheilds the ramp from attack from above.

yes it would have weaknesses, but in game design you always need weaknesses, otherwise all powerfull units would not be able to be taken down by small fast ones. A game design like this is not about slaving to reality but about creating something interesting that could be real.

personally i think its a winner, and i never want harry to get a look at any of my tank designs ;-)
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, this is awesome. I love the retro designs in it, the gun barrel and sky roof remind me of starwars era style shit. Really dope shizzle.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Harry, the great thing about sci-fi, fantasy, and futuristic designs is that you can throw bullshit together and it's alright. That's why we can have barbarians with swords slung across their backs, rifles with chainsaws on them, and greeble blasters that shoot red plasma bolts.

It's a tank that makes no practical sense, but it's well executed, the mechanical details are excellent, and it's a cohesive visual design overall. So your point is moot, not to mention counterproductive from a concepting perspective.

Great work boogatti. The only thing I'd change is to add some more detail to the front bottom of the tank, and make the sides of the tread covers angled out to give it some more pop. As is the tank looks like a rolling box from the front. Other angles are great though.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Very slick render. Looking forward to the low poly. I love the design, how it feels like a mobile operations/apc/defense unit. Great scene setup and lighting as well!
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    look unusual and nicely modeled ;)
    I like more the desert version than the "regular" green one.
    Great job
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    beautiful renders
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome! Do you have any tips on hard surface modeling for those of us new to the genre :)
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    That is some amazing work.
  • Ajax
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff dude! Great detailing.
  • Travis_hill
    Harry wrote: »

I agree with harry here, the model is top notch, But Harry was just trying to point out a few crits he found. the creator did say it was open to all crits.

To me I would take what he says and use it to my advantage. Maybe add in a few small turrets on the underside or hatches troops could hang out and fire.
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    @Harry- Precise functionality is irrelevant for a game model. It should look like it might work at first glance to your average Joe. It's all about how good it looks on screen. Designing a realistic sloping angle for armor is cool and all, but should not be added to the design at the expense of it's artistic profile. That said I think this model is very well done and looks great.
  • boogotti
    thanks guys for all your comments:)
    Harry I understand were you're coming from, for the crits I will keep them in mind when I create a low poly version. I wanted to create a cool unseen tank, some times you have to ignore what’s out there to create something different, but as you pointed out function is what gives military equipment its look and feel, but as artist not as an engineer we go for cool looking things and only justify are designs through visual references not function. I guess it’s about having the right balance.

DrillerKiller i agree, its hard to feel for scale i will add some lettering and logos to the texture to help read the scale of the vehicle

dfacto
    yea i will take that into consideration for the low poly model i like the track angle idea.

more pics info can be seen on this link click on the image a scroll through:
    http://www.boogotti.com/root/tank/tank.html
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Awsome paint overs , nice design , solid work- I wish there was some spec in the high res presentation, but I only say that after seeing that after seeing x-convicts material tut.

I do agree that some logos, text etc would go along way, and also help to push the envelope on the "cool" a bit more.
    *nice site btw :P
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    How did you texture that? Procedurals or actual UVmapping?

Quite nice!
  • _Aurel_
    This doesn't seem like a tank to me, but more of a long-rang artillery vehicle. Vehicles like that fire at extremely long distances and in general arn't supposed to be moved around that much. It could use its sloped design to move up next to an incline and use the hill to obscure most of its body from the enemy while it fires, or unload its crew and troops from behind with minimal exposure to enemy fire.

Granted, I don't know much about mechanical warfare and I could be wrong but that is what popped in my head when I saw your render.
  • EarthQuake
    Alright because i actually enjoy and encourage these types of discussions, but dont want to clog up boogotti's thread, i've moved the last however many posts to their rightful home, here:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=60515
  • Justin Meisse
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    This is a really cool armored fighting vehicle. It's clearly sci-fi and futuristic, but it's nicely grounded in reality with all of the contemporary details. I also like the low silhouette, smart vehicle design.

I agree with the scale issues. I think what throws it off are the treads and wheels sizes. I think if you had smaller, but more numerous, track links it could help with the scale. Same thing with the wheels.

You also have the spare track links tied down with thin rope, which looks rather awkward since these links would probably weigh several hundred pounds each.

The smoke canister launchers on the turret are a great touch, as it would make alot of sense to deploy the troops under cover of smoke.

The front, downward sloping glacis plate gives alot of cool visual interest, it actually reminds me alot of some of the Soviet APCs , which had similiar looking designs, such as the BMD-1 and BMP-1.

However, I do think it's a design mistake to put such large glass panels on the glacis plate; they represent a very large vulnerable part to the most important armored component of the vehicle. Instead, I think it would be a better choice to use periscopes, or smaller armored glass panels that could be enclosed in an armored shell when the vehicle enters a combat zone, IMHO.

I know you said this vehicle was designed for desert combat only, but I think it would be cool to see an arctic or jungle variant; it could be alot of fun to experiment with different camo schemes.

This is really awesome work and one of the most believable, original designs I've seen in a while.
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Eraserhead brought up something important with his mention of bmd and bmp IFVs. The reason they are shaped in such a way is because they're amphibious. Possibility of this thing being amphibious is, i guess, something to consider.
  • boogotti
    i through i post up some of my reference images to show you guys how i ended up with this concept design also here are some 100% crops of the main image enjoy :)

reference images
    16ixipu.jpg
    2r3jm9i.jpg

100% crops
    34nfj2f.jpg
    xnupw2.jpg
  • boogotti
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    This is a really cool armored fighting vehicle. It's clearly sci-fi and futuristic, but it's nicely grounded in reality with all of the contemporary details. I also like the low silhouette, smart vehicle design.

I agree with the scale issues. I think what throws it off are the treads and wheels sizes. I think if you had smaller, but more numerous, track links it could help with the scale. Same thing with the wheels.

You also have the spare track links tied down with thin rope, which looks rather awkward since these links would probably weigh several hundred pounds each.

The smoke canister launchers on the turret are a great touch, as it would make alot of sense to deploy the troops under cover of smoke.

The front, downward sloping glacis plate gives alot of cool visual interest, it actually reminds me alot of some of the Soviet APCs , which had similiar looking designs, such as the BMD-1 and BMP-1.

However, I do think it's a design mistake to put such large glass panels on the glacis plate; they represent a very large vulnerable part to the most important armored component of the vehicle. Instead, I think it would be a better choice to use periscopes, or smaller armored glass panels that could be enclosed in an armored shell when the vehicle enters a combat zone, IMHO.

I know you said this vehicle was designed for desert combat only, but I think it would be cool to see an arctic or jungle variant; it could be alot of fun to experiment with different camo schemes.

This is really awesome work and one of the most believable, original designs I've seen in a while.

thanks Eraserhead very helpful advice, one question would smaller tracks means that there more likely to break. i when for big tracks as its a bigger vehicle and it will be carrying more weight?
    for the front windows what about metal flaps covering them up once in battle? i like your thoughts on this.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work! love your renders. Did you use physical sky for them?
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    boogotti wrote: »
    for the front windows what about metal flaps covering them up once in battle? i like your thoughts on this.

I rode in a centurion recently and iirc it had some metal shutters to cover the viewports. Another thing to consider is periscopes and periscopic gunsights.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    boogotti wrote: »
    thanks Eraserhead very helpful advice, one question would smaller tracks means that there more likely to break. i when for big tracks as its a bigger vehicle and it will be carrying more weight?

They don't have to be tiny tracks, I just think slightly smaller links would help reinforce the scale of the vehicle. I think a good ref is NASA's Mobile Launcher Platform. Of course its top speed is only 2 MPH and it wasn't designed to absorb projectiles or withstand mines but still illustrates my point. The tracks and wheel assemblies are still massive, I just think a slight tweak in your design could make alot of difference.

Many WW2 tanks had armored glass for the drivers. They also had large, armored 'boxes' over the viewports which could be lowered when the tank entered a combat zone. The driver would then use pericopes to see; in this pic of an early war StuG III you can see two small holes right above the driver's viewport, those were for the driver's periscope. That hood above the viewport would be lowered over the glass when the vehicle entered battle. So you can still retain the cool looking frontal glass and have it remain technically feasible by having an armored hood that can enclose it; the best of both worlds.
  • Harry
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    Great work, slick presentation too. The Boffins in the thread sound like they know their stuff but I still just like the art of the thing :)