Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP UDK - lair of a criminal

dcgear
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
dcgear polycounter lvl 4
This is my first scene using UDK which I have been working on for a couple weeks now. I feel its far enough along for me to post some WIP's. This was inspired by the movie Se7en when the detectives discover the apartment of the serial killer. It's a small scene mainly to familar myself with UDK. I still have some main pieces I need to model and texture so excuse the grey blocks :)

WIP_03.jpg

WIP_02.jpg

Replies

• nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good concept keep going looks good so far, altho cant see much maybe increase ambient bounces
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, lighting looks pretty nice..maybe you can use a little bit more ambient light to fill the area like nick2730 said..just a little bit.
  • dcgear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dcgear polycounter lvl 4
    hey guys thanks for the comments. I tried playing with the ambient bounces a bit but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference from the default of 3. I do want to increase the ambient lighting so I have plans to make some lights to bring this up eventually. At the same time I want to keep it a little dark, mysterious and moody. I have started added some desk lamps and bookshelf lamps around the room to give a bit more ambient light into the scene. Also added some more books on the empty shelving unit.

WIP_may01.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    look at the movie 7 I think there is some massive inspiration there especially with the photo's and the red light from the dark room could be pretty sick looking. Also use Higher res images I want to be able to see your sene clearly.
  • dcgear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dcgear polycounter lvl 4
    dudealan- you read my mind I had the plan to have the red light in the back :) heres a first pass at it
  • dcgear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dcgear polycounter lvl 4
    updated with color grading, and some new props :)

efb9f8ccfa772ce4d85d7866fdf03b85.jpg
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    It's coming along nicely and the lighting is looking much better now. Try working some yellow and more red lights in to break up all the green/blue lighting.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely looking better! Great progress
  • dcgear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dcgear polycounter lvl 4
    thanks for the comments guys! here is todays progress.
    690012c0bb87b677b1baa5afc44a5853.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really good! although it looks more like a private investigators office more so than some deranged serial killer. I`m not saying you need to blood it up or anything. It just needs something unsettling.

I`m not sure if you`ve played it, but you should check out the Fairfax residence in Swat 4. Its a really old game. unreal 2.5 I think? Anyways- the second level you have to apprehend a serial killer. It gets all, "silence of the lambs" towards the end of the level, but maybe this video will help aid in some ideas:

(watch in fullscreen, 720p)
    http://youtu.be/HAJ1rUc4XMk?t=7m1s
  • dcgear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dcgear polycounter lvl 4
    konstruct: thanks for the feedback! you are absolutely right, that is a great reference video you have attached, definitely some things i can borrow from there. My hope is, I plan to wrap this up in the next couple of days and start on something else. I may end up just changing the name ;)

Larry1: this being my first unreal scene I would have to say its worth learning and a good exercise! there is still so much I haven't tapped into so im slowly learning this aswell :)