Home Dota 2

TrevorJ - Dota2 Workshop

TrevorJ
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, now that the Escape challenge is over (failed to finish in time, by a tiny bit, booo.) I'm going to start doing more Dota2 item sets, i loved doing the Dota2 PC challenge and have some concepts im ready to get started on. Just going to post my previous entry, as this is going to be where I put all my Dota2 works.

My shop - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999906386/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570

wEpk1Pu.jpg

Replies

• TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    So the next hero i want to make a set for is Ursa. I've been playing a lot of him lately and really like his play style. He's great in pubs but can get kited and stun locked very easily. Any who here's two concepts i did the other day over lunch. Let me know what you guys think. Which you prefer, and any changes/additions variations I should try. Thanks!

PZCzGEg.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here's a blockout i did over lunch. going to bring it all into zbrush tonight. Preferences? I'm still not sure which one i like more, i might just make both.

gRRaMfz.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates!

I decided i liked both so i'm going to do both. Going to start on the lowpoly tonight to see if i'm going to have any troubles polycount wise before i go into any more detail highpoly.

Thoughts?

ELKHtRb.jpg

m4LoMF7.jpg
  • Thnk
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    I personally like the set with the giant skull more. I kinda like how big everything is but at the same time I would suggest to maybe try scaling some pieces down a bit since he still needs to look pretty agile. If anything its worth testing out just to see if it looks any better or worse. I'm also working on an Ursa set and ran into some scale issues along the way. Something else I would be weary of is the fact that the shoulder armor will probably clip with the ears once you actually get it in game. That's what happened to me today after finally getting it in engine... I'm assuming some weight painting and better attachment to the rigging might solve it but I've never really worked with any rigging so its gonna take some research and experimenting to figure it out.

Whenever you have a chance, maybe take a look at mine and tell me what you think? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120538

Cheers!
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Thnk, thanks for the feedback, your the second person to say both sets looked too big, looking at them over lunch I totally agreed, so i shrank the metal version shoulders and forearms down, and shrank the skull down a bit and tried to give the leather shoulder a bit more room. Im going to keep going on the lowpoly and quickly skin to see if i run into the problems you were describing, im thinking i will, and will have to go back and revise some things.

looking at it now, I really need to figure something out for the leather Sets arms

IAUh2z9.jpg

cOiV0Kj.jpg
  • Thnk
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome, I think its already looking better.

Also just wondering if by any chance, maybe you could maybe take a couple screen shots of the skinning process/a video of when you test it in game whenever you get around to finishing the low poly. By the looks of your portfolio you have way more experience with that stuff than I do, so I would love to see how you set it up in hopes that I can hopefully fix mine without many complications.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    figured out a little blocker i had with the collar, Its still getting intersected in the portrait view, i need to make an lod0 for that one anywho so thats next. Thoughts on texturing? Im also going to add some more geo to the back piece for deformation i dont like the way its getting wavvy when he runs and such. any feedback would be awesome, the other set is also coming along, but i have a freelance contract to focus on after i finish this set.

xW87E2g.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    So i finally finished one of these Ursa sets, heres the collection link below. Throw me a vote if you like it, thanks!

The Bear Necessities
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152990578

kZD9bLJ.jpg

4BjPBQL.jpg

3W1nyKN.jpg

yrMfwaG.jpg

5kaBqqg.jpg

3rjvGg5.jpg
  • archie
    btw a newbie question, how do you take preview picture like the ursa one shown there? with his body grayscaled and leaving the selected item colored.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, archie. I just take a screenshot in maya with the background set to pure green to easily select it and delete. Then ill either lasso select the item or take another screenshot of just the item to have two separate images. Then i just desaturate one of them in Photoshop. + simple radial gradient.
  • archie
    ohhh, because I want to do a better preview pic, but cant find a way to do it haha. tried with model viewer from SDK, but it cannot load the hero model and my item together.. :(
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey look at that! My first items in Dota2, i had kind of given up on this set. I was going to see if i could get that particle FX stuff to work, but i guess I wont have to now.

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20202
    dota_item_the_nomad_protector_set_large.29b7ffed04a14a0a39d983b64008218e47e2da33.png
  • 7thBattery
    Congrats Trevor! Very cool set, it's a great addition to the shop :)
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, now that work is calming down a bit from crunch im able to work on some dota stuffs again.

I'm doing a set for Earthshaker, played him a couple times lately and he's newly updated so thought it give it a try. For his totem i'm doing a large drum. Here are a few concepts. Let me know what you guys think. More stuff for the rest of the set coming soon.

The black round things will be amber or stone gems or something. The rest of the pieces will be wood and rope.

0ILI0gH.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Little wip shot after tonight, still working on the bracers and belt, cant think of anything for the head yet

wvo5Mml.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Wow that totem is great Trevor, looking forward to seeing the whole set!
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like it fits ES' sound effects pretty well :D
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! finished the highpoly for the bracers, still pondering on the belt, I'm not happy with my initial concept, it was starting to look all the same. Still working, might have something by the end of the night

0mEccjY.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i just went with my initial idea for now, well see if i can get this design under the poly limit and still looking ok. If not i might have to redo the belt. Thoughts?

oBP9a9Q.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Oh man those ropes and how inter-wine. Do you model them in 3D modeler or sculpt? Care to share how you do it?
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    *edit

Hey vayne, thanks. Its just an IMM brush I downloaded and then pushed and pulled the geo around after, ill try to find the link

heres a link to the brush
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?169288&p=964309&viewfull=1#post964309

Holding shift while drawing the curve around a cylindrical object will actually make a circle. And then you can just use "group split" to break the stroke off into a new mesh, and then use the move tool on that.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks TrevorJ, really appreciate it.
  • eazy
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    The ES items are looking really great! Keep it up, man!
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, got everything baked down had to make some adjustments, mainly on the belt. Got it ingame before i really started texturing anything, this is just a quick paint of possible colors and an ambient occlusion bake.

On a technical note, what's with Earthshakers weird scaling issue? I've found a couple threads talking about it, i'm assuming its happening in engine, as there's no scale on the rig bones or my meshes, (froze transforms/delete history etc) Trial and error seems to work, people are saying the difference is about 80%.

My question is where is the engine scaling point located? is it at the root joint? another joint? or object/vertices center? Any info on this would be amazing.

Here's a thread i found, i think that's Vlad in it, not sure though.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=100453

Anywho, here it is with base colors, scaling is close but i still need to get it better.

x4f421n.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    That's looking really nice so far but what is going on with the ropes that go around his waist?
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey MdK, yeah that was part of the scalling issue i was dealing with, got it pretty much sorted, lot of trial and error. Here's a pretty much final shot, just working on the submission icons and maybe some kind of marketing image, not much of a painter so well see how that goes, hah.

VUm4OvJ.jpg

I cant for the life of me figure out how to embed youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TTLc4rLsKM&feature=youtu.be
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Just submitted, calling this one done. Would have like to do some kind of head piece, but nothing i was concepting felt right at all. oh well. Let me know what you guys think.

kUp347t.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Well, that looks absolutely fantastic. Fits his colour palette perfectly and I just can't see anything wrong with it at all. Really looking forward to seeing more work from you! I really hope it gets ingame but I don't think you have much to worry about.

Sorry I can't help on the Youtube embed, normally it's
    but it doesn't seem to work on Polycount.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    To embed youtube, just paste the link in and polycount should automatically embed it like this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4"]HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA - YouTube[/ame]

Came out really nice, but I feel like the ends are lacking some wear-and-tear . But the render of him jamming is damn awesome! :D
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Came out great! I think the ends could use a little more shading, and that dota 2 logo paint thingy could use a bit more work. looks a bit "photoshop brushed on" at the moment.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great! (Better than what I can do)
    For the head piece, you could do a leather skull cap similar to the ends of the drums.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've got a lot of commments saying people wished it was a full 4 item set for ES so im trying to make a head piece for this. I feel like nothing fits but i have two so far. The mowhawk is done i just found it was too simple. The horn/wood helmet is another idea.

Any preferences? feedback? thanks for taking a look.

wLpyWOD.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    The second certainly fits the theme of the set more but I think the first one looks better. Would it be possible to see both in full screenshots of the character wearing the set?
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post, im between contracts right now so I have time to work on another item set. I chose Pugna, cause I like his ward and I had an idea for it. Unfortunately animations seem to be broken in-game on his ward, ill get some playbplasts of what i have planned soon, but ill have to prob submit it just static until Valve fixes it.

Let me know what you guys think. I wanted to give Pugna something other than horns, as that's all he seems to be getting in the workshop so far. I'm also trying to make him look a little tougher, although i know he's basically a wizard/caster type.

Still need to detail his cape and the book at his hip, the belt will go all the way around as well but no need for the highpoly.

Thanks for checking it out, thoughts?

S7NRGXA.jpg

XCmdOnA.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Being honest he looks a lot like a green Skeleton King now.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    hah, well that was actually kinda what I was going for, for better or worse. I was going to call the set the Oblivion King, but almost every item in the workshop already has the word Oblivion in it somewhere. He's going to have a kings scepter for his weapon.
  • Noblebatterfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Noblebatterfly polycounter lvl 10
    Everything is nice, expect head. Pugna without horns is terrible
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Perhaps to keep the silhouette similar to default Pugna, you can extend some of the crown spikes to look more horn-like. Without his horns he looks a little dumpy and dwarfish
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, i wasn't sure about his crown as it is now, and that feedback solidified it. I really want to keep it, but i think like Sukotto says it needs to be a little closer to his default horns. Ill rework and come back. Just working on lowpolys of everything else right now.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, new crown, better? worse? everything else has lowpoly and has been baked down ready for texturing, just working on the chain belt with spell book now.

4B3iQ2Q.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back from a "vacation". Got stranded a little in the airport. Finally got started on the weapon. Just the highpoly pic for now. Also a pic from maya of the low with textures. I always have the hardest time with texturing and color picking. I still need to make all the masks though, i usually test those in-game as i don't find the maya representations accurate at all.

Any thoughts so far? on color choices or shapes still? Thanks for taking a look

I think i decided on a name as well, "Nethers Reach". Based on his weapons and nether ward.

Q6SEiyg.jpg

wvYW8nC.jpg
  • Andumy
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    i love the weapon,but ,BUT: the handle is too hard edge for the concept,do something a bit round ,that fit better with the hand,some awesome sculpt :D
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright everybody, kind of lacked on the updated until now, if been working on it pretty hard to get it out tonight. Let me know what you guys think, and vote please! Thanks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=209873461

YJNNrK9.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpS8MzWFHAs"]Nethers Reach Pugna Item Set - YouTube[/ame]
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Some blockouts im about to get started detailing for EarthSpirit for the chinese new year event. Tried playing him against some bots, my brain nearly melted, it is super tough to get those combos right.

Let me know what you think

h4VnDVM.jpg
  • agito666
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Some blockouts im about to get started detailing for EarthSpirit for the chinese new year event. Tried playing him against some bots, my brain nearly melted, it is super tough to get those combos right.

Let me know what you think

h4VnDVM.jpg

looks fresh concept for the chinese building roof looks for the armor...but personally use that on timbersaw will be better lol i think. just saw similar concept on taiwan based MMOPRG game tinker like character / class...
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got it ingame, some more tweaks to do and then make the lod1. 300 is going to be tough. Also first time using polypainting and baking it down, im sold going to do it from now on. Any color suggestions or tweaks?

vGrBCOH.jpg.

ZlqWcod.jpg

eul41GX.jpg
  • Chaos Prophet
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chaos Prophet. I submitted them last night, had a little trouble, i heard steam was getting hit with some kind of ddos attack.

Also my prior pugna items are no longer on the steam workshop, not even if i filter for pugna. The only way to see them is to look at my specific workshop. Thats kinda too bad, cause one of them was on the first page. Anyone experienced this before :(

WsFDZq8.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=211822951&searchtext=
  • cagdasx44
    That was happened to me too. I made the item's visibility to secret and then made it visible again and the problem was solved. I hope it helps.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks cagdasx44, that seemed to actually work. although only for the Nether Ward, the rest are lost in obscurity i guess. Cant even find them if you search for the names, only if you specifically look at my shop, that's kinda lame.

Oh well, moving on. Wanted to make some arms for Earth spirit as i like the idea of being able to completely replace them. Got the basic shapes blocked out, going to detail them with Chinese themed carvings, possibly trying to incorporate a horse. Still not sure if i'm going to make them Jade, or bronze/gold. It might be hard to make them gold and still suite him, what with the drastic color change.

Let me know what you think, thanks

T3lYpMK.jpg