Home General Discussion

Quick question about character modeling

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Beetle polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, gonna get right to the point here, there's a question that actually came to mind when creating a character, normally i see people creating the whole build of the character and then the clothing on top, why do this when you never see the naked body in the first place?

Replies

• Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Simply to help with placement of the cloth. Many people, myself included, find it beneficial to have some underlying volume to keep them in check while sculpting the clothing above it.

The masses below the clothing (and clothing material obviously) are a primary influence on the way the fabric will fold/crease. So having that defined beforehand will make it that much easier to keep those masses in mind while creating the look and feel of the cloth. The underlying anatomy does not and shouldn't really be polished at all, but just a nice and loose representation of the build of the character.
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    you don't -have- to, but I think many can agree that its good to have a solid anatomical base to start from- since clothes are made to fit bodies it makes sense. Also you can extract clothing from said base, it's already close to the shape it needs to be then, add wrinkles and bulk/tension etc. But again, more like guidelines than rules..
  • Beetle
    Offline / Send Message
    Beetle polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the reply guys!, will keep this in mind =]
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Beetle wrote: »
    Hi guys, gonna get right to the point here, there's a question that actually came to mind when creating a character, normally i see people creating the whole build of the character and then the clothing on top, why do this when you never see the naked body in the first place?

Anatomy practice. Plus it gives you an idea of how to create clothes, armor and other stuff and lay it down on your character.

Also, unless you are professional 3d artist who can actually view the concept drawing and make the 3d model exactly according to it, it is best to make a base model and then work on clothes of it.