Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

So yeah.
This is the Unreal Developer Kit Master Thread.

You can throw your questions in here, as this will be a sticky.

For starters..

Did you know you can now paint vertex maps on static meshes inside UDK?
Here is the link:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MeshPaintReference.html

Replies

• Disco Stu
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I did not know about that vertex map painting feature. That is hot!

I've never jumped into Unreal Editing before. I will be experimenting with this new UDK release in the coming weeks, and hopefully a lot of questions will be answered here. I'll go ahead and kick it off...

I understand that UE3 allows for importing of Collada files. What is the usual procedure for exporting animated meshes into the Collada format to be compatible with UE3? (How many bones per vertex, shape key support, labels, bounding boxes, etc...)
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i dunno isn't that thread pretty much covered in the unreal engine 3 thread? its not like this is another engine, its the same, with all the features productions have for quite some time, so why split them up?
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Why the separate map? :P It`s not like it`s a different engine..
  • moose
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the mesh paint tool is awesome. Easy to set up as well. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Yeap, this is gonna be fun. Also, I am sick of stupid FileShack. I will put it somewhere else... with more speed and no waiting in lines.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    If no one likes waiting in line here is a link ::UDK::
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    That other thread is massive enough as it is. UDK is going to be a whole different wave of problems that arise. I agree that there should be a separate forum for it, I'm just not sure Polycount is the place for it :P
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone having trouble installing I am. I have tried a whole host of troubleshooting suggested at the UDK forums and figured I would see if anyone here could help.

I start the install as administrator and it stops about halfway through with "UNsetup" has stopped working....

Any suggestions would be much appreciated Thanks!!!

-==Edit==-
    Okay so I reinstalled as admin and on a different drive and got it to work:thumbup:
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    this seams to be a redundant sticky... (there is plenty already, but two for the same engine...)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    YES!!!
    Flipped Y/Z in OBJ exporter (so Maya has a chance). Max needs FlipYZ checkbox checked.
    This was a problem I found with my UED Mambo MelScript... which I think is now broken because they fixed it.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speedtree won't start :(
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ooh, just what Tech Talk needs... more stickies.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speedtree hang up
    win 7 x64
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    noob question, how do you turn on the SSAO? or is it already on but not real time?
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    I did a major update to my website, all UDK Development related:

UDK Tutorials
    http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3fracturemeshes.htm - How to make meshes that can be shot into pieces using the Fracture Mesh system.
    http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3lightmass.htm - Introduction to using the LightMass system.
    http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3softphys.htm - How to use soft physics in UE3.

UDK Jobs
    I launched a new Jobs page, and it aims entirely at UDK jobs - http://www.hourences.com/book/jobsindex2.php
    Anyone can send me their "job" openings for their UDK projects, and I will get them posted. The only requirement is that your project must either have something done already (demonstrate it is not just a dream), or you must be able to pay the person for the work he does. This to ensure a minimum level of quality.
    An example - The Haunted is looking for a programmer - http://www.hourences.com/book/jobsindex2.php#265

Snippets
    This is brand new. So what it basically is, is Unreal Kismet scripts or a bunch of actors, converted to text, and pasted on my website. You can then look through my library, and find what you need, copy it, and paste it directly into editor.
    It allows you to quickly paste in a setup, and most importantly learn from how the examples have been made.

For example:

The Ball
    We created a demo build of our game The Ball for Epic's UDK Release. That demo is one of the showcase projects of the UDK - http://www.udk.com/showcase-the-ball.html.

We are working hard on the full game right now, we hope to get it done in a couple of months. Follow our progress on our website http://theball.toltecstudios.com/ and on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ball/151208229313?v=wall&ref=search

http://download.udk.com/UDKInstall-TheBallDemo.exe - The demo has about 30 to 40 minutes of gameplay.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You turn it on in the post processing volume/world post processing options.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Outstanding. Will definitely be going through the tutorials, as your previous UE3 tutorials were very useful. I've been wondering about workflow for destructible environment objects quite a bit lately, and this looks like an ideal approach. Great introduction to Lightmass, too. Well done.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you so much Hourence! I love your site and your tutorials has been a great help!
  • CasperNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snipergen wrote: »
    Speedtree won't start :(
    Try it in compatibility mode, had problem with vista but works great on a xp comp.
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    Many thanks Hourences. Your site has been a great resource for me, and it's real good to see some more info on the LightMass system written up!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hourences your thread has been merged in to the UDK master thread.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    for gods sake, how the hell do you delete a package in UDK!? It's not letting me! :E
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Think you just right-click it, unload, then delete it in explorer. There's an explore option in the same menu.

... Was messing with lightmass bakes and kept getting these weird splotches of blue. On other tests there were splotches of r, g and b. They seem to appear in the same spots regardless of textures or light placement, no idea what it is, might be some stupid newb issue because I'm new to UE3 though? Tried changing various settings and rebuilding in different ways, no luck, just weird.

udk2009110618004779.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is unreal
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Vrav - I think this is because you selected a blue Environment Color under World Info > Lightmass

It might be some of the bluish light leaking to the interiors.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vrav - thx, that worked for removing the package. Though I have to say that's rather stupid to require going outside the package to delete a file.

I'm running into a similar problem with textures now. I unload the package, then right click to delete a texture in that package. But right clicking makes that texture load, then the editor tells me it's in use when I go to delete it...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Vassago,

It could be being used by a material you made and thus trying to prevent you from doing that.

Just double check that over and it should work.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes the editor keeps references to stuff that isn't actually in use. I believe in the UDK there is a force delete option too. If that doesn't do it, use the old approach. Rightclick - rename/move - move it to some totally unexisting package such as "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", then save the original package but do not save "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".
    There you go, next time you close the editor, that texture is gone forever. If it would ask for "aaaaaaaaaaaaa" next time you load the real package, just save the package again and you are fine.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah jesse I always double check that.
    Hourences - that worked. Thanks :) Still a pain though, you wouldn't think you'd have to do that just to delete something.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Vrav - there are all kinds of causes for this. A few things to try though:
    - as mentioned adjust your sky / environment color
    - adjust lightmap resolutions for objects
    - change the textures for these surfaces to see how the diffuse component is adding to the light (and to see if thats what is causing it)

Building your entire scene vs single objects will result in different lighting, as well as the quality presets lightmass offers.

-Tyler
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    This might seem like a small tip but its useful to know up front....

Lightmass really needs open, light and very milky textures to get the most out of the bounce lighting, you ought to be brightening your texture values by about 300% more than you used to and its also worth artificially boosting your normal map strength by 200% in photoshop or crazy bump etc

Try taking a texture ingame on a new static mesh and make sure its just matte and flat colour and take a look at that before you start shading or compositing photoref. You'll see instantly what I am talking about.

Often we are finding on the environment side of things here that the lighting map we generate in max, combined with a shademap made in crazybump or through xnormal, with a light bit of photosource on top is almost enough to call it done and to ensure we don't kill our normals or the ability for the lightmass bounce lighting to really do its thing.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone run into the problem of the 3d view constantly falling ?
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12

Lightmass really needs open, light and very milky textures to get the most out of the bounce lighting, you ought to be brightening your texture values by about 300% more than you used to and its also worth artificially boosting your normal map strength by 200% in photoshop or crazy bump etc

Try taking a texture ingame on a new static mesh and make sure its just matte and flat colour and take a look at that before you start shading or compositing photoref. You'll see instantly what I am talking about.

Often we are finding on the environment side of things here that the lighting map we generate in max, combined with a shademap made in crazybump or through xnormal, with a light bit of photosource on top is almost enough to call it done and to ensure we don't kill our normals or the ability for the lightmass bounce lighting to really do its thing.

could you maybe if you have time make a couple images or an example of what you mean please, thanks :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    A slight continuation of what Kev mentioned:

If you find your textures are too dark, you can double click them in the Content Broswer, and edit their brightness, saturation, and color curves numerically to get quick & easy brightening of your diffuse textures, without mucking or messing with your Photoshop files. These setting will keep as well, unless you choose to overwrite the texture settings upon a fresh import of the texture (you can also choose to not replace them on a fresh import, as well).
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    Handy stuff in here. Think I'll start messing with lightmass now.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    DX10UT_01thumb.jpg
    random picture using direct x 10.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    is DX10 some setting that needs to be toggled? or does it happen automatically if your system is running vista/win7?
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    You must edit /UTGame/Config/UTEngine.ini.
    and set AllowD3D10 = True
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14

Were the levels included in UDK all edited in this way ?
    Maybe I should compare myself...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    And properly setting up lights that affect certain sets of objects (using the Lighting Channels settings) will boost speed for renders.

Hey, I've tried everything to get Swarm to work, let us know if it works right now, or in a later release... It's driving me nuts.

Here is what I did so far:

Vista64 - Swarm works on local machine, I can see all other networked machines running the Agent (pings go across just fine). But only my machine (Vista64) renders. All other machines are compiling the scene. I tried mapping my work files through the network so all machines have access to the data (like you would do for some network rendering apps). Still no go.

I can run the Agent and Commander on my Vista32 machine and it controls the Vista64 machine just fine. The Agent still doesn't work on the Vista32 machine. Makes me think something is borked with the Vista32 machine settings. Also, I can't invoke a render on the Vista32 machine, it crashes all the time.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i'm runnin into an issue, i wanted to make a tileset of chunks to rough out my level with, then i can go back and update the meshes with more fleshed out pieces and then replace the ones that are in the rough, i am working on 12 foot chunks or 192 unitis, everything snaps well onto the grid, but after lighting most all of it has a black outline around where the tiles connect. am i doing something wrong? or will tilesets like this not light properly? the textures are all just constant 3's set to different color diffuses. each piece has 2uv channels with independant nontiling uv cords. each piece is se to light mat coordinate index 2 (i guess this makes it use the uv channel 2?) and resolution of 128

level.jpg

second isue. sometimes when i rotate around the wall pieces disapeer and reapear like they are loding out at the edge of my screen
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    1st issue: maybe your lightmap UV's have edges all the way on the borders of your 0-1 range. You gotta try to avoid that and give them space for padding there. Or it's some baking option with Lightmass that i don't know of.
    2nd issue: I think your PC is just slow. My laptop does that too, my desktop never has that issue as it's way faster.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uvs have padding space, i thought that may be it, so i went in an adjusted all them to have plenty of space at the borders.. but still got this. a reboot vixes the poping issue i had gues my machine just got bogged down with sketchup max photoshop and unreal
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone have weird issues with animation playback ?

i have a 21 frame animation that registers as .0336s when in reality it should be .336s anyone experience this problem before ?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    rhino: your uv map coord should be 1, not 2. UV 0 = channel 1, UV 1= channel 2.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh snap, i will try that when i get outa borderlands
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Is there any way of getting some motion blur within the UDK editor without the game running in real-time? Trying to set up some still shots for the unearthly challenge, help appreciated :)