Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Last of Us Art dump / Rogelio Olguin

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
rogelio greentooth
Hi,

This is some work from The Last of Us. I worked mainly as a Shader/Texture Artist, but also did my fair share of modeling in some areas. I worked with several people directly such as Adrian Castro, Heather Cerlan, David Ballard, and David Baldwin. I was hired at Naughty Dog what seems like yesterday (10 months or so ago) entered into crunch. It has been a great experience working with such a talented team. I have had the pleasure of working with two great teams ND and Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) in the year 2013. Hope you all enjoy.

This is one of the level sections assigned early on when I entered Naughty Dog. I was responsible for Modeling, shader/textures, and general direction of the area. This is a small exploration space in the game. Some stuff was outsourced, but was heavily tweaked later on.
t_shot_01jpg
t_shot_02jpg
t_shot_03jpg
t_shot_04jpg
t_shot_05jpg
t_shot_06jpg
t_shot_07jpg
t_shot_08jpg
t_shot_09jpg
t_shot_11jpg
t_shot_12jpg
t_shot_10jpg
t_shot_13jpg
These are some of the main prototype rocks for this area.
t_shot_00jpg

Will post more just got image post constrained...

Replies

• rogelio
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I've been waiting for this! Awesome work from you and the rest at Naughty Dog. Congrats, I've been playing the multiplayer non-stop since I beat the singleplayer which was incredible.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Simply amazing looking game. Wonderful work! So glad you posted wires, they tell so much.

Can you talk some about the shader setup you guys used for terrain and props? Like, how you're blending between your textures.
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    I fucking loved the environments for the last of us! These are amazing man. Truly an inspiration.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Woohoo, cool stuff man, been waiting for the environment dump of this.
  • elGuapo
    Now that's bring'n sexy back. Looks great.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Damn you guys are fast! I was going to try to post under the second post. Thanks all :)

Ill answer some questions in a bit...

Did general polish and clean up on shader and textures here to give the area a more united look. Was put on these for like 2-3 days. Last min fixes. These hallways represent very little work on my part but I had fun doing these sections ah last min weekend work :)
    t_shot_19.jpg
    t_shot_18.jpg
    t_shot_16.jpg

t_shot_15.jpg
    t_shot_14.jpg
    These were the first levels I worked on when hired than I was moved to single player levels, almost towards the end I came back for around 2-3 weeks on Multiplayer to help them on some general look dev polish. I helped out with Modeling, Shaders, Textures, and towards the end bugs. David Ballard and Heather Cerlan were the main artists on Multiplayer.
    t_shot_48.jpg
    t_shot_49.jpg
    t_shot_50.jpg
    t_shot_45.jpg
    t_shot_42.jpg
    t_shot_41.jpg
    t_shot_39.jpg

Next dump will mostly be some textures and zbrush stuff.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    really really cool!
    And thx for posting dev shots too!
  • BI0PREDAT0R
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0PREDAT0R polycounter lvl 5
    Man sweet stuff just makes me wanna go and start making a scene and good job on the game sooo good :P naughty dog knows how to make them !!
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Ohh God ! I wanna make one of those ... Great work as usual.
    1. question:
    looking at the wireframe of the outdoor shot, Do you guys use static mesh for the terrain ? No Engine landscape/terrain like in UDK ? Any specific reason for that ?
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
  • Kyuzo
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    I highly recommend people to play this game

god damn, port it on PC.. and i will never buy PS3 to play one single game.. that's cruel

ps: didnt looked at pictures, maybe in some day..
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome work dude! On the boat scene how did you handle those water striations in the sand? was that just a seamless texture blended into the other textures or is there some other trickery going on?
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    I've been on a naughty dog binge on the run up to the last of us. I love everything you guys touch!
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I loved this game! It's the best game I've played since a while!
    The characters are charming and are really showing some depth, and the enviroments are just STUNNING!
    So after finishing it, my sis and I speculated of possibilities for a second game, ha ha ha! =D
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks so much for posting this! I've always been a massive Naughty Dog fan and practically get so awed by the art you guys do that I just stare at a rock or brick in game for a good while, so much that my friends tell me to hurry up and play the game already. Last of Us was fantastic, keep up the good work! :)
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Awesome, easily one of the best looking games of this generation. The assets by themselves are not anything crazy, but the overall design and art direction are amazing.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really great! Some horrible shading on that fire engine though ;)
  • Jon Mills
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Mills polycounter lvl 6
    beautiful work.. awesome environments in this game, great job!
  • salacious_Crumb
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    amazing stuff. really inspiring.

How did you create the terrain? Did you use World Machine or anything like that, or just model it in 3d software?
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work! Absolutely loved the game. Also got inspired to make a post-apocalyptic environment... :D
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
  • polygoo
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    amazing stuff, loved the game great job guys
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Love the mesh shots of the environments.
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
  • Ranko
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    amazing work, congrats to everyone at Naughty Dog.. been enjoying the game tremendously.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Great work! have to say this game is amazing in every way. Haven't played a game where I would play again right after I beat it. Total masterpiece!
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I gotta ask..for that boat on the beach scene...how many blends are you using?? Cause that mud + grass + everything else is out of this world
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing!

The ground in the beach scene is so beautiful, full of details, how did you managed this?

Please please share your textures!!
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, this is really impressive stuff! Can't wait to see some texture sheets :)
  • spetch
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks alot for posting this stuff. Awesome job!
  • jsargent
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    This is great, I'm really enjoying the game at the moment and its scary!! The art is awesome, so detailed too and great storytelling throughout all of the art. Really lovely stuff! :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    DAAANG! Awesome work. Really loving the game so far. I looked at a few meshes but waiting till I finish it up.
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    AWESOME work. This game is quickly becoming one of my favorite games ever played!! I'm not done yet, but I can't wait to playthrough again with New Game +

Stellar Work! You should be VERY proud!!!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    amazing, love the art dump, been waiting for some The last of us stuff.

and ye the game is amazing :)
  • TactMasterZero
    Offline / Send Message
    TactMasterZero polycounter lvl 17
    I also believe this to be amazingly awesome, as well! :)
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    This is godly! I remember those scenes very fondly from the game. Crunch or not, you guys must have had a blast working on this game!
  • nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Awesome work! Thanks for sharing!
  • carlobarley
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff, I've yet to play it but from what I've seen everything looks great. :)

I don't wanna be "that guy" but those are some nasty smoothing errors on that fire-truck. :/ I'm just a bit curious what happened there.

Overall though, great job, to you and everyone at ND. :)
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    JFletcher wrote: »
    I don't wanna be "that guy" but those are some nasty smoothing errors on that fire-truck. :/

I noticed that too on that screenshot, but from what I recall from the game, you never get to see that side of the truck, it looks like quickly optimized geometry that the artist who worked on it knew you were never gonna see in the game.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    All thanks so much. The ND team is insane I am a new guy here, It has been one hell of experience I pretty much came into the moment to help out so that was my main mission come in and help as much as possible. The team is really proud and have and are taking a well deserved vacation :)

Thanks all for the comments.
    Eric Chadwick, cmtanko, Laughing_Bun, salacious_Crumb, ErichWK, Boyo

The above posters commented about the sand and terrain work I hope I can answer them at one go.

Terrain was hand sculpted or poly modeled. We do not have a terrain editor like udk or cryengine. All of our terrain is hand sculpted, and in this case I do not think a terrain editor like UDK or cryengine would get the look we were going for. This area had around 5 different revisions on the art look because we really wanted to hone into the look some revisions being drastic some others being smaller.

The rock formations are zbrushed with large to medium form detail than use a second uvset for tiled textures ontop blended to create cracks or smooth areas. This is presented pretty much the same in the udk sample level with the rock formation it is pretty much the same idea.

The terrain has several blended materials each blend goes into two main material types than a decal so for example

-sand to rock (decal broken wood pine bits) Large normal macro map
    -sand to bank sand (same decal as above) Large normal macro map
    -etc

Materials are placed on sections of where I want those blends and than vertex blend them in. Nothing fancy really just basic blending.

One thing I hold true is that one texture will not make things look awesome. Imo well balanced shaders will. I think we are starting to move away from this one texture looks sick. Like the below textures are kind of boring alone but together it looks sweet. I really do not think anything we did in ND is "special" it just well balanced from good forms and composition (Modeling) to materials treatments (texturing)

Below is an explanation of it of the sand blends.

macro map was done in photoshop mostly I made a couple of random white strokes and black strokes than grabbed the smudge tool and bingo done in like 10 mins or so. Oh one piece of advice the longest route is not the best one. Some people would say sculpt that. I guess I am slightly old school if you can make a good bump map you can make a good normal ;)

matblends.jpg?w=1200

JFletcher: Outsourcing... Should have tried to fix it though but yeah it was not really seen. Plenty of stuff I wanted to fix before some of these levels were torn out of my hands :D

Again thanks all for the comments :)
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Last dump for this Zbrush and textures :)

zbrush-temp3.jpg

zbrush-temp2.jpg

ndo-temp2.jpg

texture-temp.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Wow! Thanks for those breakdowns. I really want to go back to the level and look around some more.

I have some questions though...

The second UV set for the other textures, ND's engine is more similar to Maya than it is to UDK/CryEngine, right? How would I access the second UV set in UDK or CryEngine, if you know? Or is that just a way you guys blend?

Do you use any specific ZBrush brushes or is the standard Clay/Trim? Also, care to share the matcap you used for the Zbrush texture models(not the spheres, the original texture sculpt)

Thanks again for the post. Look forward to seeing more! And finishing the game :)
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    congratulations! awesome game and great work :D was wondering about the sand thing as well, totally makes sense now.

@leleuxart - plug a texture coordinate node into the coordinates of the texture and then theres the coordinate index thingie. it should be noted that while the UVs start the be numbered at 1 in most 3d packages most engine start at 0. so 0 in udk corresponds to 1 in max. the second uv channel in udk is by default reserved for the lightmap UVs. can be changed, but it's probably easier to just use the third :D
    can't do that in the cryengine though, there's no access to anything beyond the first UV channel
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    OK!! Nice and simple, but smart and efficient. I like that! :)

Thanks for all the answears and sharing, you rocks :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for sharing the pics and breakdowns. Very fantastic work. I just beat the game a few minutes ago, actually :)

If you're able to say, what res did you end up having to cut your textures down to for the platform?
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I really need to find out how to do a tileable sculpt... like that rocksurfacestuff flats...

Everything looks damn awesome! So sweet. Love it.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Joshua Stubbles

All textures are set to 512x512 or less Texture streaming works better at this size. Some rare cases I made some 1024x1024.

Fenyce

Actually these sculpts are not completely 100% tile-able right from the get go. I have to tile them in photoshop still.

leleuxart

Boyo answered the udk question :) As for sculpting these I used basic brushes clay tube, Trim dynamic, Flatten, Standard, and others... but yeah pretty basic nothing too fancy. And the mat cap is just the standard mat caps. I tend to keep my programs stock and clean from extra plugins unless it starts to become a standard used thing. This helps for two reasons new plugins tend to make programs unstable and if I move to another company and that company does not have the fancy stuff well I know the main program. I tend to do this with most programs keep them stock. Many people add new plugins or scripts that is fine but I have seen very few scripts that actually improve my work follow significantly for it to be justified to be installed etc, again if starts to become a standard tool that is a different.