Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Street Figher - Zangief's Stage - Lonelysquare

lonelysquare
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
lonelysquare polycounter lvl 7
Never been particularly good at competitive fighting games, but always enjoyed them. Some of the fondest memories from my youth are of powering up the SNES and holding Street Fighter 2 tournaments between my friends and family.

One of my favorite "stages" was always Zangief's USSR Factory.

Not quite sure where I'm going to go with it yet, but the final product won't be exceptionally far from this:

yea01.jpg

Thanks and good luck, cant wait to see everyone's results.

Replies

• lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah! It's been some time...

Been very busy with other matters over the past week, finally got to sit down today and get busy on this.

This is a very, very early block out. I am aware that almost everything is out of place or not finished :)

Didn't really plan anything out too much early on, and I think it's showing. (aka everything is currently a hot mess) But I somewhat enjoy that, to an extent. Every image I viewed after searching "Steel mill factory" in google had me thinking the same thing, "What is going on with all this sh*t?"

I'm hoping towards the end the actual "stage" of the battle (the first few yards in front of the camera) will immediately remind the viewer of the classic USSR factory, while everything going on "behind" will be "new" and re-invented.

firstwire.jpg

What I see / Where I'm going in my head (sort of...)
    HOT RED MESS EVERYWHERE.

firstwiredoodle.jpg
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Early wall and floor assets, still some work to do on each.

someassets.jpg
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Zangief sized modular steel.

someassets_thicksteel.jpg
  • engelmanna
    Offline / Send Message
    engelmanna polycounter lvl 16
    Great start! I'm excited to see another Zangrief's stage in this competition. Good Luck.
  • stfu_donny
    looking hot... love the material work on the tiles, udk?
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks blot, your work looking killer so far.
    looking hot... love the material work on the tiles, udk?
    Donny, you are out of your element. Jk, no your not. And these are just screengrabs from max viewport. No fancy UDK materials just yet, just pushing the poly count somewhat.
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more basic assets, just to prove I am alive. Should have a basic UDK build soon.

someassets_03.jpg
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought it was about time to put some assets into UDK and get a basic "feel" of what I wanted...

I am aware almost everything can be improved, but let me know what you think so far, thanks.

firstudk.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Well, I've been following your topic discreetly but forgot to reply and your last UDK confirmed one of my fears, that all the materials look the same, and normal maps if there are, have almost no effect here, so it looks like you mapped the scene with one single metal tile very well, and that's all.

Playing with lighting will help you get more tones/colors tho, but you'll need some more steel/iron variations, spec maps too. In fact spec maps is what you should focus on since a well good 70% of your image is metal.
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    That was exactly one of my concerns. I'll work on it, thanks Paro.
  • 55joe
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    *Thanks joe.

You know when you are so sick you can't even sit in front of a computer? Blah.

Anyways, over it now. Moving on. Time for an update!

Closer to what I want as a "final" shot. Still working on the lighting, still working on the lava shaders, still working on plenty of the diffuse maps (read: add some color) ... and more "filler" assets. But getting there... (not sure how I feel about the DoF (or adding any at all??))

Please, crit and suggest away!

Thanks!

ohnoez.jpg
  • engelmanna
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your lava. I can almost feel the heat coming off of it. I'd think about adding some different colored light sources. Your scene is a little monochromatic at the moment. Another thing i'd look at is the scale of your chains. Maybe i'm looking at it wrong, but the chain links seem a little big to me. I'm excited to see the next update!
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Blot.

Yea lighting I'm still working on... Planning on adding a small amount of sunshine out of some windows and/or some lights around the scene.

And the chains I couldn't help but make large, kept picturing Zangief throwing those things around. I'll look into it.
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    the lava coupled with sweet materials is creating a great sense of heat! I agree with blot -- the bigger the chain the thicker the link :) looking sick!
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    An update!

Lemme know what I can fix. Thanks!

haha01.jpg
  • Timeyy
    needs more anti-aliasing ;)
    I think the windows under the roof could use some lightshafts or some hint of a sky. just blue looks a little weird I think. but thats just something really small, the rest is absolutely stunning.
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    needs more anti-aliasing ;)

yea, definitely. These are just screengrabs from the udk viewport, should look better when I make my computer do some work :)

and I agree about the windows. Thanks Timeyy.
  • slave_one
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Great work lonelysquare. Great last update, what I like about it is that it adds some color variation. The lighting in the foreground also makes things more interesting. However one thing I liked about the previous state were the darker areas in the back. It kind of kept the background the background.

Anyways, looking forward to more updates!
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Right now there's a lot of conflicting lines in your composition, I think you could use lighting/fog to help break our the larger shapes. The top right of the image shows this the most, there's the horizontal beams and structures of the ceiling, then the diagonals of the midground structure, then vertical lines of the foreground pillars. Maybe use fog to de-contrast the ceiling, and darken it's lighting some?
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    However one thing I liked about the previous state were the darker areas in the back. It kind of kept the background the background.
    I agree. Whenever I add a "lightmassimportancevolume" in UDK everything brightens up (as I assume it is calculating bouncing light correctly) and I have such trouble getting my dark areas dark :poly127: I've since added some reddish fog in the distance and in UDK's post I should be able to darken up my shadows a bit. I'll work on it.
    Right now there's a lot of conflicting lines in your composition
    Totally :'( As you can see in my original "plans" the background structure was more aligned with the foreground but it was just so boring. I plan on adding some pretty large USSR flags hanging off some edges, hopefully that can break things up a bit. Plus I've got a lot of work to do still on lighting.

On second thought, how about I send you my map files and you fix the lighting? Based off what I've seen in that bath house I think I'd be in good hands :)

Thanks for the crits, I'll get to work.
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Good GOD I'm surrounded by a tsunami of talent. It's insane. So much skill everywhere, It's intimidating and inspiring at the same time. It's also an honor to be able to submit something along with these (unbelievably talented) artists.

That being said! ... Here is something real close to the final shot. I was away from the computer for around a week on vacation and when I got back I switched a lot around. Still have to add / fix some stuff but not worrying about that until the very end. Let me know what you think and what I can fix in the next 48 hours.

haha05.jpg

Again, thanks.
  • engelmanna
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking sa-weet! I love the lava, it real feels like it's hot. The one thing that sticks out to me is the saturation of the logo on the ground. I think that the paint would stay that red for too long in an environment like that. Everything else looks great. Good job!
  • Katori
    Offline / Send Message
    Katori polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice, the new colours (yellow and red) definitely go great and make it stand out. Love the lighting work. Are those tiles modeled or parallax/relief mapped (can't tell if UDK supports it or not)?
  • slave_one
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one lonelysquare. Agreed on the paint, needs to be worn down. I also think the chain should have something heavy at the end of it. Like this it seems a bit unnatural (or it should be longer and have more links on the ground). The area in the mid background to the right of the middle (looking through the two pillars) seems a bit too bright overall to me (at least it catches my eye).

(As far as I know a lightmass importance volume only speeds up your rebuild times and is not an influence over brightness in any way. btw)

Anyways .. good job!
  • Mr_Mout
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Mout null
    Zangief Ftw ! ;)

Very nice work ! Well done :]
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah! 3 posts that I hadn't read as I submitted everything, thanks for the crits and comments guys.
    Nice one lonelysquare. Agreed on the paint, needs to be worn down. I also think the chain should have something heavy at the end of it. Like this it seems a bit unnatural (or it should be longer and have more links on the ground).
    Luckily I fixed both those things before I submitted :)

Sorry katori missed your comment, they are modeled, no parallax map this go round.

Thanks again guys.