Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly unnoficial competition #8 - September

Replies

• A1mb0t
    Offline / Send Message
    A1mb0t polycounter lvl 9
    That's one mean warden, i like!
  • Paskie
    Damn! Three thumbs up on the Bramblehorn!
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Pyro Classic Updo by Prophet9

200x200.resizedimage

07E85D349D2412F7B83DD46F44789E5374899248
    AB499E7645EE8B55164D5916134FC0AE4E651517

CF0FEB9F470BC6BD7FBD907C4DE3FA5E480E66AB
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Spring's Lilium Crown by OniLolz and Zaphk

268x268.resizedimage

We forgot to post the WIPs here too, so I'll post everything at once ><

highpoly (almost done)
    98E5gw0.jpg
    polypaint
    uI8INC0.jpg
    lowpoly
    mMcuob4.jpg
    in game
    O02uh3u.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    so, if no one have any other idea we can keep the "male characters single items" for the next month

well, we still have time =]

Why not mounts? I would love to see some sweet creatures :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    OniLolz wrote: »

Mounts and summons? Let's get all the creatures in there!
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Zaphk wrote: »
    Spring's Lilium Crown by OniLolz and Zaphk

We forgot to post the WIPs here too, so I'll post everything at once ><

highpoly (almost done)

polypaint

lowpoly

in game

Bit of a noob question, but which brushes do you use for your hair? It always looks so clean.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Since it's the hairstylin month, me and MugenMcFugen brewed up something too. Brace for scrollin.

shap_001.jpg
    First of all, i block out the basic shape and objects i want to work with. That is what front/side views are for, extremely important, as it saves you from resizing it around later, if you set the proportions first.shap_002.jpg
    After some smoothing i fit it on the charachters head and export it into Zbrush along with the CM.shap_003.jpg
    After that i'm doing some roughing out the shapes and try to blend everything together.shap_004.jpg
    After that comes some more refining, rethinking the hair flow, adding some minor details and all that.shap_005.jpg
    After using polish brush a lot, smoothing and subdividing, i add these little gold hard-edged bits.shap_006.jpgBlocking out some basic color, sampling them from various default CM textures. shap_007.jpg
    And adding some polypaint shading. You can see the flat color and the material.shap_008.jpg
    Afther that comes retopoing, i'm giving the most detail to the front part, that'll be seen the most on the portrait view. I'm a bit over the limit, but that's okay.shap_009.jpg
    Imported back in Max, the hat part and the hair on the back don't actually connect. I'll use alphas to fake the volume of the fur.shap_010.jpg
    Unwrapping is pretty basic, since i've got two parts, basically. I was thinking about baking them separately, but baking it together gave better results, as in, it looked more organic, and i just cleaned up the hat fringe(on the back) with the alphashap_011.jpg
    First ingame test shows us that the colors are pretty dark and the hair doesn't connect with the face. After a bunch of tests, it turned out that CM files are outdated, so i quickly decompiled her recent model and reskinned.shap_012.jpg

As you can see, it fits better now.

hair_mugen_m2.jpg
    And after that i pushed out the forms a bit, brightened the colors all around, and pushed out the top of the hat a bit.

And it's on the workshop

664AB9358A9D0A0621C704D478CFD6FC40B1A661
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    MdK: Claybuildup (main brush), slash or Dam standard (to draw the lines), Snake Hook or Slide (to make the bangs) Pinch (to adjust the bangs format and tighten the cavities) and hPolish.
    I did a hair sculpt live stream, but for some reason, twitch didn't recorded it =(
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I think I like the "spooky" heroes idea for next month better than just male heroes, aren't 70% of the heroes male? The mounts/summons idea could work too.

Ok, bakes finished on this baby, got 1 day left. Hopefully I can make it in time.

Enchantress_Javelin_Preview2.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    MdK: Claybuildup (main brush), slash or Dam standard (to draw the lines), Snake Hook or Slide (to make the bangs) Pinch (to adjust the bangs format and tighten the cavities) and hPolish.
    I did a hair sculpt live stream, but for some reason, twitch didn't recorded it =(

Thanks very much!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    OniLolz wrote:
    Mounts and summons? Let's get all the creatures in there!

Not very beginner friendly. Also not spooky enough. I do like the idea, but I like halloween vibes even more.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, going with mounts only means you eliminate a huge chunk of people out of the competition... Or so I think. Great idea though.
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Yeah, going with mounts only means you eliminate a huge chunk of people out of the competition... Or so I think. Great idea though.

Well, in my opinion a competition/challenge is the best opportunity to practice and get out of the comfort zone.
    I think there is a lot of people just waiting for a "signal" to make it happen.... or thats just me :)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I'm up for the mount thing, as you say, a good opportunity to get out of your comfort zone. After all, we are here to improve our skills.

I also think it would be quite fun using the hangouts as a means to help each other. At least this way, everyone can share their tips and see each others progress.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I agree with Mdk, even though mounts and creatures would be hard, it will be a good way for people to try to get out of their comfort zone and make something more advanced. Go Creatures and Mounts!
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message

Twitch disabled the auto-save streams thing, you have to go into a menu and re-enable it!

"Well, in my opinion a competition/challenge is the best opportunity to practice and get out of the comfort zone."

This!
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I've flipped the hair for the portrait view as it's more interesting, do you guys think this would get noticed and cause a problem?

Windweave Headband
    by MdK

200x200.resizedimage

FC521B808CF995985C24D0DD4946A4F212F8CB6F

9F1DDFB7BA7B26BDA336FA3B609D0A9DC904FAD4
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz wrote: »
    Well, in my opinion a competition/challenge is the best opportunity to practice and get out of the comfort zone.
    I think there is a lot of people just waiting for a "signal" to make it happen.... or thats just me :)

Generally speaking, your opinion is sound. I might be speaking of my super limited experience. I guess if others want to go for it then my all means, more power to them.

For me, I just don't see myself there yet. I can hardly do proper single items with hard surfaces, let alone organic single items and let alone a complete biological being. Atleast, I hope more indepth workflows, progress and details are provided if the mount theme is selected. I like how Vlad does it; videos, screenshots and detailed steps and information. Hope more of the advanced artists follow suit, not just twitch videos (don't attack me because I have difficulty accessing twitch >.>!).
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    MdK wrote: »
    I've flipped the hair for the portrait view as it's more interesting, do you guys think this would get noticed and cause a problem?

Hm! Oh I really like the portrait now. Does flipping it in-game really cause a problem though? I personally would just flip that too, but I guess there isnt strictly a rule saying that it has to match exactly. It just makes more sense to me that way.

(well, I mean other than having to go back and redo all the promo materials and video haha)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Hm! Oh I really like the portrait now. Does flipping it in-game really cause a problem though? I personally would just flip that too, but I guess there isnt strictly a rule saying that it has to match exactly. It just makes more sense to me that way.

(well, I mean other than having to go back and redo all the promo materials and video haha)

Haha, yeah that's what I'm trying to avoid. I also felt she is kind of blocking her view of where she is firing with a load of hair in the way
  • ncparvu
    Imperial Scepter Of Ice by ncparvu

9i67tl.jpg
  • effespwnz
    Bramblehorn by Ziedrich (concept), OrganizedChaos (model/texture) and Don Don (rig)

268x268.resizedimage

This is beast...
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Nice design mrpresident! i like it !
    Cute hair MDK !
  • Shooo~
    Offline / Send Message
    Shooo~ polycounter lvl 7
    Finally finished damn wings. Hate rigging !
    Process:
    7E60B85F694C5263F76068A5A9DD1E77F79D969B

Sonic Wings by Shoo and foxclever

268x268.resizedimage
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    Finished it:

Death's Promise by Godzy and Stefco

268x268.resizedimage
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Boonta!

--

Even though I like the spooky idea better, we could always include all summons, not just mounts. So that would add the juggernaut/witch doctor/pugna/shadow shaman wards, tusk sigil, and death prophet ghosts, although I'm not sure if all of those slots are set up in the importer yet.

Those could still provide a challenge for those that aren't quite ready to try making a mount.
  • Paskie
    Phuh! Just in time. :)
    Great work everyone! :thumbup:

Spectralis by Paskie

200x200.resizedimage
  • Vextrakt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    +1 for the spooky items
  • Sylei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Firedancer Bandana by Sylei

200x200.resizedimage

I decided to make it part of a set !
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Cutting it close here, just thirty minutes 'til midnight.

Sheared Tresses by hntrluc

qop_preview.jpg

qop_preview_03.jpg
    qop_preview_02.jpg
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Sproink! by mrpresident

915122F21FDAAB52C1FEC5E74C46C35A1C864ECD

Phew, barely made it, nice job this month everyone!
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Twitch disabled the auto-save streams thing, you have to go into a menu and re-enable it!

Ah! Thank you very much, Bronto! =D
  • sadies
    Crystal Reef Longswords by ♪ rabies ♪

200x200.resizedimage 200x200.resizedimage

it's still before midnight somewhere.. right?? RIGHT?? :poly122:
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    sadies wrote: »
    Crystal Reef Longswords by ♪ rabies ♪

200x200.resizedimage 200x200.resizedimage

it's still before midnight somewhere.. right?? RIGHT?? :poly122:

Psst, say you are from Hawaii.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    great month guys! im going to add the items to the first page now and look for some judges =]

Do you guys preffer the items to be added to the first page along the month or all in the end like im testing on this? im unsure because adding everything at the same time looks more fair, but its nice to see the progress on the first page

and for the this month we are a little divided by the opinions

as Hunter pointed, male hero not narrows the options at all, so i think we can drop it

i saw divided options about the other too

Spooky heroes and mounts/summons

Spooky heroes are a good way to make something more related to halloween

Mounts/summons could be a good opportunity to try more organic modeling and to push a little further the difficult to contrast even more with the past month

i personally like the second one, i think its a good opportunity to try something harder as Onilolz pointed, but i would like to see couple more opinions about those two

which one you guys preffer?
  • Paskie
    Spooky wards! I'm just saying that because I'm working on one.... ;)
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Mounts/Summons! I would really like to make one to learn more about anatomy and stuffs! :D
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    I like the idea of both mounts and spooky heroes (need to define a list on that).

With Halloween at the end of the month, it would make sense to have a collection of heroes/items that reflect that (Valve Halloween chest anyone? Someone be sure to notify them of our intentions this time :D)

I do agree that Mounts would stretch the skills of many people (myself included)... but the field is very weighted on that subject matter, with some artists here having done many mounts before. Depending on the person, it could be very discouraging or an opportunity to grow. My 2 cents.

Cheers!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I like both, but we can do mounts any old month. October/Halloween/Diretide is only once a year.

I have a couple cool mount ideas I'd work on if we go that direction though. ;)
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I wanted to do a Spiderling so I guess that covers both themes haha!
  • Darkinub
    Halloween! (Spooky Heroes!) Love getting festive for that event :)
  • A1mb0t
    Offline / Send Message
    A1mb0t polycounter lvl 9
    I'd actually love to do a whole mount/summon for once, would def be a step up in difficulty but also a nice challenge to improve.
  • Tomus
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    With the polycount chest out and the september challenge which produced a lot of very good new hairstyles i came up with an idea. Instead of monthly challenges we will create a themed chest. For example chest filled only with hairstyles. We set the theme, someone will need to create image of the chest (that can be allso part of the competition), and then we create 10-15 empty slots for that particular chest to be filled. We give people a month to create their entries and then judges will decide what will get in and what needs to be improved (in case we havent filled all slots in the chest yet). The chest will remain open until its filled with enough quality items. In the end we will have a themed chest for valve to release (if they find it usable). Ofc, people can post their items normaly to the workshop, so the item can get into game naturally...

For the next month's theme i guess it would be better to stay with the Halloween to create some content that can be released with diretide.
  • MechBgum
    Big YES to mounts and summons.
  • Shooo~
    Offline / Send Message
    Shooo~ polycounter lvl 7
    More mounts and summons please.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I smell collab air!
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Why not both themes? Monsters, beasts and spooky things! I do think the mounts and summons idea sounds really fun though.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Feathered Torment by Vayne4800 and Stefco

200x200.resizedimage

I live in Hawai?

lXNisiE.jpg
    Lz5nzRS.jpg
  • Ak.
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    great month guys! im going to add the items to the first page now and look for some judges =]

Do you guys preffer the items to be added to the first page along the month or all in the end like im testing on this? im unsure because adding everything at the same time looks more fair, but its nice to see the progress on the first page

and for the this month we are a little divided by the opinions

as Hunter pointed, male hero not narrows the options at all, so i think we can drop it

i saw divided options about the other too

Spooky heroes and mounts/summons

Spooky heroes are a good way to make something more related to halloween

Mounts/summons could be a good opportunity to try more organic modeling and to push a little further the difficult to contrast even more with the past month

i personally like the second one, i think its a good opportunity to try something harder as Onilolz pointed, but i would like to see couple more opinions about those two

which one you guys preffer?

I loved all the ideas! especially the mounts/summons my favorites. ♥ But Valve recently removed the most items of the store, and lately i haven't seen many sets on Workshop for vote, i'm missing them! :( also in my opinion it's a great opportunity for get your art in game! :)