Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    i'm runnin into an issue, i wanted to make a tileset of chunks to rough out my level with, then i can go back and update the meshes with more fleshed out pieces and then replace the ones that are in the rough, i am working on 12 foot chunks or 192 unitis, everything snaps well onto the grid, but after lighting most all of it has a black outline around where the tiles connect. am i doing something wrong? or will tilesets like this not light properly? the textures are all just constant 3's set to different color diffuses. each piece has 2uv channels with independant nontiling uv cords. each piece is se to light mat coordinate index 2 (i guess this makes it use the uv channel 2?) and resolution of 128

level.jpg

second isue. sometimes when i rotate around the wall pieces disapeer and reapear like they are loding out at the edge of my screen

I was trying to turn this off too because it looked really bad, and it took me awhile to figure it out. It's actually SSAO, I think, so it's not baked and you can turn it on/off with Allow Ambient Occlusion under Post Process settings either in World Info or in a Post Process Volume.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    still doin the same thing, in the world properties world info i set allow ambient oc to false but still doin the same thign. even messed witht he use subdivisions like at the bottom of this page http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightingReference.html linked to me by cholden
    i've discovered it i turn off light mass it works fine. but i want light mass..
  • hollaAtMe
    Rhinokey:
    Are your pieces cubes that you are just snapping together? Like, when you put one chunk together with another, do you have two faces meeting in between them?

If that's what you are doing, then you just need to delete those inner faces that are touching. Your light map is baking around the corner and giving you what looks like a seam.
    It works fine with lightmass off, because it's more than likely just doing a vertex light and not baking the light maps.

Hope ya get it workin. :)
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Have you tried checking "Instanced Object" in the mesh's property? Not sure what it does but well, might be worth a try.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    nontiling uv cords. each piece is se to light mat coordinate index 2 (i guess this makes it use the uv channel 2?) and resolution of 128

second isue. sometimes when i rotate around the wall pieces disapeer and reapear like they are loding out at the edge of my screen
    Unreal starts at 0 and max at 1.
    Therefore max UV layout 2 = unreal layout 1.
    Don't think that will solve your issue though, just something I picked up on.
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    @Rhinokey These sorts of seams are going to be near impossible to get rid of. They are inherent in UE3's GI solution. TBH, with texture you probably won't even see these. I would not fret about unlit mode (you won't sleep at night if you do) as there will be all kinds of subtle artifacts that simply won't show up once quality textures and materials are applied.

To alleviate some it, though this only works for areas where shadow detail is low, vertex light these (check on override light mas res and set the overridden res to 0).

-Tyler
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone know if there's a way to desaturate the screen based on z-depth, maybe as a post-process effect?
    I.e. things get less saturated the further away from the camera.
  • carlo_c
    Just tried using the tiledshot command with UDK but it doesn't seem to have it?? Anyone else having this issue?
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Ark wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a way to desaturate the screen based on z-depth, maybe as a post-process effect?
    I.e. things get less saturated the further away from the camera.

sure its possible

create a posteffect, load it up on start, add a material use the alpha of an scene texture as your mask for desaturation (the alpha is the zbuffer), thats it, very simple :)
  • BlackulaDZ
    anyone know how to get a post process volume to show in editor? it works when i test play but not in the editor.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    BlackulaDZ wrote: »
    anyone know how to get a post process volume to show in editor? it works when i test play but not in the editor.
    There's a "G" on the viewport tabs for "Game View".
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    gamedev wrote: »
    @Rhinokey These sorts of seams are going to be near impossible to get rid of. They are inherent in UE3's GI solution. TBH, with texture you probably won't even see these. I would not fret about unlit mode (you won't sleep at night if you do) as there will be all kinds of subtle artifacts that simply won't show up once quality textures and materials are applied.

To alleviate some it, though this only works for areas where shadow detail is low, vertex light these (check on override light mas res and set the overridden res to 0).

-Tyler

I disagree, Those artifacts look like something is broken. Rhino you need to make sure the correct lightmap channel is being used, like someone else said what is 1 and 2 in max is 0 and 1 in Unreal. In the static mesh editor you can click on the icon in the top left labled UV and it should show you what you have assigned as your lightmap channel. Also make sure your res is apropriate, for a wall it should be something like 32 or 64 maybe larger depending on detail/size etc...

Also make sure you have no overlapping UVs in your lightmap and make sure you have a lightmass importance volume surrounding your level. Also it's worth noting that the levels we're creating currently have little to -no- meshes with vertex lighting.
  • BlackulaDZ
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Unlike UnrealED the default LM channel in UDK is 1, not 0.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    UnrealED is like that now as well(the change came with lightmass), but the translation from max to unreal is still the same 0=1 1=2
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    This quote taken from a thread on the UDK boards, but I'm having the same problem. Anyone here have any ideas?
    I right-click on the floor of my level and click "Add actor -> PlayerStart"

And nothing happens. No actor appears.

Upon trying to click "play from here" I get a "failed to create entry point" error.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    slum i had that earlier, i started a new level and it worked,, guess i learned to put a playerstart right away :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Probably a silly question with an obvious answer but...previously I'd select some BSP faces and click a material in the browser to apply that material. Now, it only seems to apply a material to a face if I drag it from the content browser on to the face in the editor...one face at a time only. What am I missing?
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I noticed that too, Scoob - seems you have to alt+click now. Not too bad a change, but yep.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Has anyone had problems reimporting an updated mesh and having it replace an older version of the mesh with the same name? Seems like every time I try to import the updated version it just crashes.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably a silly question with an obvious answer but...previously I'd select some BSP faces and click a material in the browser to apply that material. Now, it only seems to apply a material to a face if I drag it from the content browser on to the face in the editor...one face at a time only. What am I missing?

yeah i found to rt click an "aply material" tho i think this is an awesome change, manytimes before i would go to my browser to mess around, and come back to find i had accidently changed my textures in the level cause i had things selected.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Neox wrote: »
    sure its possible

create a posteffect, load it up on start, add a material use the alpha of an scene texture as your mask for desaturation (the alpha is the zbuffer), thats it, very simple :)

Cheers, i'll give that a shot.
  • Hourences
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    http://tutorial.toltecstudios.com/

# How to set up the folders for your game.
    # What to add to source control (SVN and others).
    # Setting up and compiling Unrealscript.
    # Creating a super basic third person game.
    # How to configure the ini files.
    # How to build a super basic level.
    # How to make a super basic menu with a button and a label.
    # How to add basic localization support.
    # How to cook the game.
    # How to package and distribute the game.

I wrote the entire thing in one long session, it was a bit of a long day and I may have missed some things here or there. Let me know if you stumble onto something.

This is not a development tutorial per-se. The focus is mainly on how to quickly set everything up for your own game and give you a basic introduction to all the elements involved in making a UDK game. The UDN, and also my own site, have dozens of great tutorials for more in-depth information.

The tutorial has been written with people in mind who know pretty much nothing about Unreal, and can't program. It is basic.
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    You sir are epic

*no pun intented :)
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    I've almost got all the Cascade buttons figured out and have been documenting them as I learn it. Will post a PDF or something in a week or so. A lot of things just don't have any affect that I know of. Like dead buttons and stuff...
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Video tutorials by Raven67854 on the UDK forums.

Getting Started with UDK:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcJ3J2Yf_Wg[/ame]

Unreal Terrain Basics:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYGG2e9CEBE[/ame]

Fracture Tutorial:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLaxPKCeLaY[/ame]

Fluid Surface Actor Tutorial:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-qEHHorBAs[/ame]

Cloth Basics with UDK: part 1 and 2
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXsHvlVryE[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5iVXo-uIAs[/ame]

CrowdSystem Tutorial:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTP4TDBGWsQ[/ame]
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome thanks hourences! only thing is, I couldnt see the third person stuff in the tutorial, looks like it goes from folders to unrealscript. maybe im blind i dunno, thanks anyways man.
  • Hourences
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Theres a zip to download with the unrealscript uc files to use. You can open those in notepad and look how the third person was done, it is very little code.
  • planaria
    anyone know how to setup a terrain layer that assigns textures based on height / orientaiton ?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    planaria wrote: »
    anyone know how to setup a terrain layer that assigns textures based on height / orientaiton ?

http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1028644&postcount=79
  • planaria
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAAfT-NvM6g[/ame]

towards the end you will notice that when he is painting on the mesh and displacing verts, the angle of faces will determine if it gets a rocky texture on it as opposed to the original texture.

how do you set that up ? that doesnt seem to be covered in those other tutorials. and in the one i reference it was just a default terrain setup layer that i cant find because i assume he wasnt using the udk version of the editor.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    When you set up a Terrain Layer Setup, there are options for Min/Max height and slope per layer. In the material itself you can define what types of folliage it can have along with UV tiling, pan and rotation and it's own displacement map.

So you have your Terrain Mesh>Terrain Layer Setup>Terrain Materials>Material
  • Showster
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    WIP :- Singleplayer NPC creating tutorial, with code and some workflow ideas.

http://www.bigredmonsta.co.uk/NPC%20Creation.doc

Hope this helps some of you lot

Heres the model source until my server dies http://www.bigredmonsta.co.uk/UTGame.rar

Greg
  • Scruffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruffy polycounter lvl 11
    Hi everyone. I figured i should share this with the rest of the world.

On my web site are a bunch of tutorials, anywhere from mesh building, normal maps, lighting and more.

With the new UDK released, i wrote up a Lightmass, Ambient occlusion and Emissive lighting walk through for an easy visual representation of what different functions can do.

Included in this tutorial list is the new 'mesh painting' function and i wrote a tutorial to show how it works and how you can get different effects with it, like offsetting the speed, time or direction of a pulsating light. This can be anything from a street light to a candle. One mesh, one material, thousands of uses.

Also i have a tutorial to show how you can offset a texture on the mesh based on its worlds location. This is EXTREAMLY handy for hiding repeating textures.

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html

Lightmass:
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Lightmass_Tutorial.html

Global Illumination:
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Ambient_Occlusion_Tutorial.html

Emissive Lighting:
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Static_Mesh_Emissive_Lighting_Tutorial.html

Mesh Painting:
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Mesh_Paint_Tutorial.html

Asset Position Offsetting Texture Coordinates:
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Asset_Position_Offsets_Texturet_Tutorial.html

Hope you all enjoy.
  • Fang
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    @Showster, Hi you're here too :D

Here's the tutorial I wrote thanks to your help mate!
    Creating Custom Player Character Tutorial

Hope someone finds it useful! Enjoy.

Original Post(at Epicgames Forum)
  • BlackulaDZ
    oh man these tutorials are awesome. i have a question though, when i launched the UDK today it asked me to update or check the files or something, so i did. now when i bake my lighting the shadows are very low res no matter what i have the quality on, like dis:
    udkprobs.png
  • Scruffy
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like you are using a BPS object for the floor. select the geometry, go into its properties and turn down the "Lightmap Resolution" (lower is sharper).

It might be a bug with an update, i'm not sure, but if you increase the 'build quality', it should even out these shadows. try the BSP resolution tweak and see if it helps.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hourences, Lee3Dee, Scruffy, Showster, Fang: Tutorial explosion, thanks a lot guys!

Scruffy: you work on Mechwarrior ? I must be honest and say that's one of the few titles I'd kill to work on :) Jealous of you, man!
  • planaria
    having some weird issues with shadows on a terrain, im using lightmass for a large terrain also you cant see it in the picture but you can see where the tiles are made for the terrain as there are clear shadow seams where one tile is darker then the other. im thinking i should just import a terrain model that has a proper unique top down uv projection?

sdad.png

lamont, thanks for the clarification.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    i was wondering if anyone knows how to set up the swarm coordinator, so i can get a farm rocking in our apt
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    i was wondering if anyone knows how to set up the swarm coordinator, so i can get a farm rocking in our apt
    I would like to, but one of my comps is bugging out. And looking on the UDK forums, no one has gotten it to work.

Real quick:

• Turn off Windows Firewall on the computers (even when you tell it to not block, for some reason, it still mucks up).
    • Start up the agents on all computers.
    You will see the following under Settings on each Agent:
    • AgentGroupName = The name of the group.
    • CoordinatorRemotingHost = The network name of the computer running the Coordinator.
    Run the Coordinator, run all the Agents. Do test pings between them all. And that should be it. You can turn on the developer settings and increase the number of procs for remote jobs. Also set this up as start up in windows (put a shortcut in the startup folder), and put BringToFront to false.

That should be it.
  • hollaAtMe
    Hey. I'm having a problem with fracture meshes in game. When I place the mesh in the level and build all it just isn't there at all. The shadow of it is on the floor, but the mesh doesn't exist. I tried making the light dynamic and have tried everything I can think of. All the documentation and tutorials I've seen for it indicate that I should just be able to place a fractured mesh in the scene, hit build all, and it works fine.
    I've tried it with the meshes that come with the udk, and some that I made myself.

Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be much appreciated. :)
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you placing it as a "FractureMesh" and not "StaticMesh"?
  • hollaAtMe
    Yeps...definitely placing it as a fracturemesh. :/
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Just double checking:
    • Import Static mesh.
    • Open it in the Generic Browser.
    • Create Collision (Will not allow fracture anyways).
    • Create Fracture (give it a good number of chunks) (slice).
    • Go to world and AddFracturedStaticMesh.
    • Leave at defaults and run level, shoot it and it will break.
  • Scruffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget to save your package. In unreal quite often, the assets bake out shadows but do not show up in the game until the package has an actual source file on the hard drive, not memory.
  • hollaAtMe
    Yeps....did all that. I've just checked and rechecked, and I still can't get nuffin. :(

When you say, "Go to world and AddFracturedStaticMesh." do you mean just right clicking in the scene and adding a fracturedstaticmesh? Or is there another way to add these guys in.

This is poooooo.....I wanted to explode something! :P
  • hollaAtMe
    Hoooooo mah gawd!

SAVING THE PACKAGE.

Jeeeesum. That did it.

Wow.

That's pretty crazy.

hahah....thanks again for ya'lls assistance! Now i'm off to explode things. :P
  • Adam L. Gray
    Hollaatme: You need to save your package for your newly imported/created meshes to be visible in-game :)

/edit: fuck, too late.. shouldn't leave pages up for a long while and then type :P
  • elementrix
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    hey guys, I can't get bloom to work anymore, it is enabled in the world properties but I see nothing... (Im multiplying a texture with a constant with the value 3 connected to the emmisive slot)